ENTERPRISE on Blu-Ray OFFICIAL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by LtChange, Oct 6, 2012.

1. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can't wait. So I guess the Writing Team roundtable is where Season 5 ideas will be debated?

I've been very happy with these Blu ray sets so far. The turnaround has been quick but certainly hasn't meant the new extra features have been of lesser quality than TNG.

The HD quality is a more than acceptable level above DVD, so much so I recently traded in those, with the end now in sight. I held off until I knew for sure ENT wouldn't just stop mid run on the format.

I wonder if CBS Digital are gearing up for Deep Space Nine?

2. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I hope we hear about DS9 soon, but given that Enterprise wasn't as big a project as TNG is or DS9 and VOY will be, it might not get rolling until TNG wraps.

3. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

According to High-Def Digest season 3 offers the worst picture quality yet:

'Enterprise' was still shot on 35mm film in Season 3 (and then transferred to digital for broadcast), so a good deal of grain is still evident in the print. However, this season set also features a lot of digital noise, which I didn't really notice much of on the first two season sets. It's seen more easily in many of the well-lit shots (such as scenes in sickbay), but there's definitely a lot of 'mosquito noise' buzzing around in many scenes that clearly has nothing to do with the grain.

In addition to the digital noise, I also noticed occurrences of dirt on the print that popped up every now and again – usually in the form of white (although sometimes black) 'flecks' on the screen. While these are far less frequent than the noise issues mentioned above, the previous sets were pretty clean when it came to film dirt…that's not the case here. I have no idea if the production had to use a cheaper 35mm film stock in Season 3, but considering the show was always worried about budget, I suppose it's a possibility.

Added to the above problems, the video still has all the issues of prior releases. Even though all new special effects at this point in the series were being rendered in 780p, many effects still suffer from noticeable aliasing issues. Black levels are, once again, not very strong, and the murkiness is even more noticeable in Season 3, since there are only a handful of instances where episodes feature 'real' locations instead of being shot on a set.

Complete Review.

4. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was on the fence about getting S3 right out of the gate. I got S1 and S2 at right around the same time. S1 I got new on eBay for $35, S2 I got the UK version on Amazon new for under $30.

I was debating getting S3 from the start, despite still having all of S2 to get through plus the last disc of S1, but given the reviews I'll wait a while until I can get it on eBay for around the $30 mark...

5. looneyguy1985

looneyguy1985 Ensign Newbie

Heres another review, courtesy of dvd verdict

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/startrekenterprise3bluray.php

"If you've been collecting Paramount's Blu-ray releases of Enterprise thus far, you should not be surprised by the quality of Season Three. The 24 episodes, spread across six discs, are all presented in their original 1.78:1 broadcast aspect ratio in full 1080p HD, which once again show a good amount of detail and are faithful to the original intentions. Perhaps the only major change is that the special effects look somewhat worse, only because there are so many more of them and the 1080p upgrade is less forgiving of showing the seams. They don't look bad at all (save for the occasional use of wonky CGI), but the sheer amount of effects in the makeup and action-heavy Season Three sometimes betrays the limitations of time and money. The 5.1 DTS-HD surround track is an improvement over past seasons, if only because the emphasis on action and space battles gives it more of a workout than seasons past. Dialogue is always clear, while the action feels more sweeping and robust."

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder what this guy was smoking since the picture quality for season 3 is much improved over seasons 1 and 2. It's not fantastic or anything but it is better than the first 2 seasons.

7. trekker670

Well all of the reviews I've read thus far are unanimous in stating that the picture quality is at least just as bad as S1 and S2.

Here's Blu-ray.com's review (PQ excerpt, 2.5/5 stars)

8. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How would you know? :rolleyes:

9. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Maybe it's me, but I've been watching the third season so far and it looks fine. It just sounds like many of those reviewers are not taking to account that the show was mostly shot with diffusion technique, which is the reason why most of the show had that soft look. I've noticed that many sites that review HD video have often given lower grades to films/shows that had that kind of soft look, as if the only thing that qualifies for a great looking picture is how sharp it looks. I guess ever since the hype of HD quality began that the soft look has become a negative for many. Diffusion is also not used that much these days so it's likely off putting for many not familiar with it.

10. d514

d514 Ensign Red Shirt

The Digital Bits / Bill Hunt rates the video as B+
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/item/star-trek-enterprise-season-3-bd

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Maybe they own it already? The set has been on sale since Tuesday.

12. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, bought it Tuesday.

13. trekker670

I just started S2 on bluray last night, but I ordered S3 which should arrive Saturday. I'm feeling an Enterprise marathon coming this weekend!

14. trekker670

I got my Amazon delivery of the S3 bluray, unfortunately the left corners of the bluray case we broken off (as if the package was dropped). Thankfully Amazon is replacing it.

15. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

16. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I would actually be very interested to hear that. Oh well.

I get the feeling Season Four will be the best looking of the bunch.

18. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It is! The native HD footage looks incredible :bolian:

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Wow season 4 features are a must-buy!

20. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

Enjoying rewatching ENT on blu ray far more than I did in its original run, and am looking forward to season 4.

As commented on in the TrekToday article, however, it is unfortunate that some of the 3-parters have been split across different disks.

Also as mentioned above, a These are the Voyages commentary was quite a missed opportunity.