The Right Stuff to come to Blu-Ray November 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Shaka Zulu, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

....go to Amazon to get it: The Right Stuff (30th Anniversary Edition)

I'm so stoked for this to be coming to Blu-Ray DVD, it should have been there already! Don't know if I will buy it myself, but I wanted to share the great news for those who love this movie, and want a great copy.

2. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

That's cool but it ain't SF.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

That depends on who you ask. :p

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I actually hated aspects of the book and movie. It was not sympathetic to engineers, and played up the pilots. Ironically, I find the overall involvement of the USAF to be detrimental to American space efforts. They robbed rocketry from the ABMA, where the Russians had artillerymen manning R-7 pads up until recently. They knew enough to keep Chief Designers in charge, not fighter jocks.

The Saturn IB dies, and the Titans took the Saturns place--the USAF influenced the size of the shuttle, and tried to force EELVs down NASA's throat.

5. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Loved the book; loved the movie.

It IS about time this one came out on BR. I've been waiting for a long time for this one. Thanks for posting!

6. Shaka Zulu

^You're welcome.

7. Shaka Zulu

^Time for you to start being one; Blu-Ray players are dropping in price, and are at least a hundred dollars at most stores (don't buy anything other than the brands Toshiba, Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic, Samsung, LG, JPC, and [maybe] Oppo.) The media's cheap, too.

8. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

foxhot, take the plunge. All your old DVDs will work on your BD player so you don't have to replace anything unless you want to.

9. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I avoided seeing it in the theater because I had read William Goldman's experience of having his script thrown away and figured Kaufman was nuts (this despite my LOVING his BODY SNATCHERS remake.) When I finally saw it, I was pretty okay with it, outside of the too-easy humor potshots. I really really enjoy it now, but with the caveat that this is just a very subjective view of a much bigger story, seriously dramatized (I'm not saying it is a whitewash on the level of MISSISSIPPI BURNING, which fucks with history so much I'm embarrassed to admit I love it.)

Biggest problem with this on BR is that I can't imagine the extra resolution helping the effects shots ... there are tons of cuts with models on wires or attached to weather balloons and those are the kinds of things that become very problematic on modern home video unless you go back and paint them out. It's one reason I never upgraded from DVD to blu on BRAZIL, because I'm pretty sure the wires would be unmissable.