[spoiler] & Bones McCoy or James Kirk Relationship Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Spock/Uhura Fan, May 29, 2013.

?

Who would you like to see Carol end up with?

Poll closed Nov 25, 2013.
  1. Carol Single

23.5%
  2. Carol/Bones McCoy

35.3%
  3. Carol/James Kirk

35.3%
  4. Carol/Other Character

5.9%
  1. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

I know that Carol Marcus is supposed to be linked with Kirk, and I do think they work as a couple, but I liked her interactions with McCoy as well.

So, I'm wondering. Does anyone have a preference? I'm sure some people would rather she stay single for development purposes, but I think it would be nice to see her with someone as well.

So, which would you prefer and why?

Carol & Kirk
    [​IMG]

Carol & McCoy
    [​IMG]

2. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

See? Now, this one I like -- Kirk/Marcus in this movie.

Let's just hope they don't f**k it up in the next one.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2013
  3. Spock/Uhura Fan

I'm just hoping they fix Spock/Uhura, but I also hope if they put Carol with Kirk that they do it well. I do wonder how that works with him being captain, but I think it can work well so long as they can keep work separate and there are rules. I still kind of like Carol/Bones better, though.

4. indranee

What do you think is wrong with Spock/Uhura?

5. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

So now you've gone and put an interesting couple possibility in my head!

I quite liked Marcus/Kirk in the movie. It seems obvious that the relationship will continue along the lines of the prime universe (if the homage scene is anything to go by), but I also like your Marcus/McCoy suggestion as well. I liked their back and forth while "defusing" the weapon.

So, do I vote for what I believe will happen (which I do like) or do I vote for what looks like a possibly more challenging (and fun?) pair?

Decisions, decisions...:lol:

Oh, indranee where will you be posting the review you mentioned in the Spock/Uhura thread (or have you posted it and I missed it?)

6. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

All of the above?

7. indranee

Shanndee haven't posted it yet. I'm going to watch it, yes, a fourth time this coming weekend :p... I'll post after that. ALL my non-Trekkie friends seem to now watch this movie with me. They weren't like this in 2009. Most of them waited for the dvd/cable etc. I wonder what's going on...

*cough*WoM*cough* ;)

As for Spock/Uhura, see, I loved the *idea* of it but I just can't see it progressing well because of the way these dudes are writing it. Trek never did do romance well save for a precious few instances. I just don't think Orci/Kurtzman can write Uhura well. The problem is -- to me -- how she's being made to play "Uhura in love". Ugh. I'll leave it there for now. I'll put the rest of my thoughts in the review.

8. Spock/Uhura Fan

Oh, that's a discussion for another thread. :cool:

Heh, there you go. ;)

I know. It's hard isn't it? :p

It's the exact opposite for me, but none of my friends in real life are trekkies. Still, I could get people to watch the last movie, but no one wants to watch this one. Everyone is interested in something else, especially Superman. I guess it doesn't help that I didn't like it and said it's okay if all you want to see is a bunch of action sequences. Seems like the people that fall into that group went to see F&F6 or will. Still, it's good that STID is performing.

And this is part of my problem. Their *conflict* didn't make any sense. What was beautiful about it the last time was that they just wrote a normal, healthy, couple dealing with the problems that life was throwing at them, and they did it with a quiet grace. This movie... Yeah, we may need to get back over to the S/U thread to discuss this a bit. I don't want to derail this one.

9. Gsam

Gsam Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't like the idea of Carol/Kirk. To be honest I didn't like the whole Carol/Kirk/David thing at all so I guess I could never vote for them in this verse either. I suppose I wouldn't mind as much if there is no child involved this time. Seems to me this Nu Kirk has strong feelings about fathers not being there and would not agree to stay out of child's life. Also I don't think given the Kelvin that he would be inclined to raise a child on a star ship. If they end up together I hope that this verse's Carol/Kirk act more adult like when making their decisions.

10. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It would be interesting if Carol swung towards Bones. If only because the poor grumpy doctor just isn't getting any love.

11. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Marcus/Bones.

<3

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Star Trek needs more free love.

What am I saying? We all need more free love.

13. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

*drops pants*

I'm down. :p

14. General_Phoenix

General_Phoenix Captain Captain

True. I could see Kirk in this timeline being there for David, considering Kirk grew up without his father. I suppose it depends on how attached this Kirk is to the captains chair, seems that Kirk-prime couldn't give up his life in Starfleet, even for his kid.

15. Seska

Seska Lieutenant Red Shirt

Carol / Terrell

"I'm afraid it's even harder than you think, Doctor."

16. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm conflicted about Carol because on one hand: yay another female character! but on the other hand she's kinda useless and forced in an existing group of characters that is already big and there is hardly the time to develop them let alone develop another character.
    I worry that with only one movie left the "quantity" will end up ruining the quality here.

romance-vise here's the thing: romance isn't the point in star trek and they hardly have the time to handle the Spock/Uhura thing that is very subtle anyway.
    The main relationship and most of the focus will always be on Kirk/Spock and their friendship then they have already introduced the Spock/Uhura dynamic and the Kirk/Bones and Kirk/Uhura friendships. If you add Kirk/Carol too this will become the Kirk's show and him and Spock won't be equal as protagonists anymore and honestly I'm not interested about a Kirk show. My biggest problem with this movie is how Kirk centered it was. Been there, done that.

Besides, I never liked the original Carol and I never thought that the Kirk/Carol thing was supposed to be this big love story that we absolutely need to see again in another reality. I mean, they have a fling when they're young and they have a son but Carol denies Kirk the chance to know him so kirk doesn't even know he exists he gets to know that only many years later when he's old and it's too late to be a father.
    Honestly I'd prefer him with Rand or the onion girl Gaila or a completely original character.

I have to add that reading the after darkness comic is sort of confirming my worries about her character and how she seems forced.
    putting under the spoiler tag
    Example: Spock is in the midst of pon farr and Uhura takes him to sickbay where he wakes up to find Uhura, McCoy and Kirk looking over him. That's his girlfriend, the captain and the doctor who also are his friends so yeah it makes sense for them to be there. There is no reason for Carol to be there too, though, and away from her post. Yet, for some reason they put her in the scene which is a bit gross because Spock has to explain what is happening to him and you know how vulcans don't like to talk about pon farr especially in front of strangers. Was it necessary to have her hear it? No, but Spock's problem is essentially used as an excuse to give to Carol a little interaction with Kirk even if brief.
    Later when they decide to take Spock to new vulcan, Carol asks Kirk the favor if she can go with them using what I honestly think is a pretext from a writing pov. It's further obvious when you compare her to Uhura who is, after all, Spock's girlfriend, and she has a valid reason to go with him and yet doesn't feel asking Kirk, it's the captain that understands on his own and asks her to join them in the shuttle (Kirk gets points for being discreet)
    I wish they had introduced her from the start because now I can't help but find it pretentious and forced, I mean, it's a tiny bit blatant :lol:

17. indranee

:rommie:

18. indranee

The Orci/Kurtzman Trek will always be Kirk-centered, though. IMO Bad Robot sports a serious hard on for the dude.

I think Carol did tell him that David was his long before TWOK. I didn't get the idea from TWOK that she never told Kirk until the events of TWOK. Where did you get that impression?

Hmm... yes, it's worrisome. Ugh.

19. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Carol and Kirk so we can another David but this time one who isn't a huge bitch with a crap haircut.

20. Spock/Uhura Fan

Then vote for it! :) I feel the same way too. I think he'd be a better boyfriend. I don't think Kirk is ready to stop sampling the buffet just yet. ;)