sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

The head of Sy-fi said it's not like they have a big choice. They pick from the same box of tired old ideas over and over again. He actually said something like this. Boy, there's creativity for you and wearing a $1500 suit to boot.

2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Not bad. And very influenced by the Mike Grell costume design from the '90s. Plus he has the goatee!

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was it this guy who said that? Looks like SyFy's SVP of original programming has left "to pursue other opportunities," the classic code words for getting the boot.

Funny, SyFy has been doing okay in the ratings, so why did he get the axe? Maybe they've realized that it's slightly embarrassing for AMC to have the hottest, highest-rated*, most critically acclaimed sci fi series on the tube, which is making everything on SyFy look tired and boring by comparison.

*Despite what Blastr would have us believe, Person of Interest and Big Bang Theory are NOT sci fi! :rommie: The Walking Dead is even beating all the sci fi shows on broadcast, that's impressive. Lots of people still don't have even basic cable.

EDIT: holy SHIT! TWD's season finale got 9 million viewers! That wouldn't be too shabby even on CBS!

5. xortex

No. He looks like one of the good guys, who are the guys getting booted out nowa days. I think it was Mark Stern.

6. Temis the Vorta

SyFy is trying to get worse? :D

Brian Cox is the latest acting vet cast in a sf/f pilot - in Gotham, taking the role type usually filled by Sam Neill.

7. xortex

Not worse, just more mediocre. :rommie:

8. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The more and more I read about Gotham the more it sounds like something I wrote a few years ago when I first got to LA and showed to a couple people to try to get representation. The funny thing about that is I purposely wrote it to be the sort of watered-down concept I figured networks would be looking for and apparently I was on the right track. The plot itself seems to be different, and even more watered down, maybe I should work on that.

9. Temis the Vorta

Magical or sci fi cop shows are an evergreen TV trope. I don't mind 'em when they turn out good like Grimm has, but I don't want them taking over genre TV like they sometimes threaten to do...

Speaking of things that are good or maybe not so much...Eddie Izzard is Grandpa! (What, Meat Loaf wasn't available?)

They're not calling it The Munsters anymore, so why not just sever the connection entirely since it's obvious they're not really interested in the original characters anyway.

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ I'm hoping that will happen-- this will be much better as a totally original concept. And I have a feeling that Bryan Fuller feels the same way.

11. Temis the Vorta

Hemlock Grove casting: Famke Janssen stars.

I dunno, this sounds like the kind of show I'd be only marginally interested in, if it were a broadcast or cable series. If Netflix wants to make a splash, they can't just do what their competitors (premium cable, in their own estimation) do; they need to break out by doing what nobody else does, at least with one show that can become the basis for a rebranding of their whole business.

Yahoo's new scripted (?) series Cybergeddon (about cybercrime) at least seems like something that it would be impossible to do on traditional TV (though I'm not sure I'm interested in it, either):

12. Temis the Vorta

13. xortex

First there was stepped on BSG now they passed on shredded BSG. What's the matter with them. Don't they know who and what RDM is? :guffaw:

14. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

15. Temis the Vorta

It's basically "TV series," but distributed via the internet rather than over the airwaves, cable or via DVD. Netflix, hulu, Yahoo, Amazon and DirecTV have digital seires in the works.

I've dropped "TV" from my lexicon in describing this sort of series because it's going to become irrelevant if it already isn't. Cybergeddon for instance is described as a "motion picture" released "as a series of installments to roll out sequentially" and has "social media and gaming" elements.

Rather than try to parse all that crap, I'm calling everything a "series" or "digital series" when it's necessary to distinguish it from cable or broadcast or movies or social media or games.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

This little piggy went to market; this little piggy stayed home; this little piggy...

:D

17. xortex

I heard one of the camera men found himself on the Cylon homeword.
    How about directly to the garbage?

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't it originally start as a digital series when they were first discussing it?

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Yes. Then they decided to do it as a backdoor pilot for TV, and now they say they're going back to producing it as a digital series again (although they've also announced that they will show the 90-minute movie on TV, so who knows what the plan is).

20. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

:rommie: