(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess not.

I suppose I'm just disappointed by the start to the season. Last season we lost 9 times in all competitions combined. This season we've already lost five times, three of those with four goals against.

Time to get used to the new normal, so that I can be positively surprised again. :)

2. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

^^
    Well, Bremen has a habit of making exciting; would be too boring if they'd win the first couple games, wouldn't it? ;)

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

In your darkest hours, think of Bayern Munich's start to the season. I know that will cheer you up!

4. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not that much into the Werder vs Bayern rivalry, but it does cheer me up a bit to see Schalke struggle. Only problem is, they won yesterday.

It's not quite as bad as in January after we'd lost five successive games, so there's that.

And thank you for the attempts at lifting my football spirits. :)

5. HappyDayRiot

Ah Schalke - I knew it was one of those two teams! Well they've not started well either. It's all about Mainz and Dortmund in your league right?

We all need footballing spirits kept up here - look at the teams we support! Cardiff, Bremen, Rapid, Forest, Derby and Liverpool!

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Wow, we're the Expendables! :lol:

7. HappyDayRiot

Paulo Sousa shown the door at Leicester. Who'd have thought Mandaric could be so trigger happy?

No doubt he'll get a job at some other team soon enough and have them passing sideways for 90 minutes.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

There is no patience in football anymore unfortunately.

I suspect Brian clough might have been sacked during his first season with Derby if he was around today. Likewise Fergie at Man Utd.

9. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last season Boro' won 2-0 at PP and moved to within 2 points of the leaders Newcastle. The same night, Southgate was sacked.

On Tuesday night, Boro' lost 3-1 at PP and were left 13 points off the leaders.

Most Boro' fans seem to be wondering how Strachan's still in a job! :lol:

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

To be honest I'm wondering too. That said I don't think he's a terrible manager, but he does seem to have brought in a lot of new players, and probably too many from Scotland!

11. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Argument in itself against allowing the auld firm into the Premier League. It appears that Strachan's ragtag army of Rangers and Celtic castoffs can't even cut it in the CCC! :lol:

12. HappyDayRiot

Strachan's not a bad manager in my opinion, but it's not working at McBoro for him at all. Maybe being on the MotD sofa for so long has tainted him a bit? Then again, what excuse can he have for all those Scottish buys? Hell, it's not even Scottish buys, is it? It's Old Firm cast-offs!

13. HappyDayRiot

Once again Cardiff do their best to induce a heart-attack vs Barnsley:
    First half non-event
    Sir Craig pops up in the 43rd to hammer in a half-time lead
    Around the hour, Gyepes scores a header to make it 0-2. Sadly, Bothroyd, standing in an offside position, helped it in, so it was ruled out. It was going in anyway!
    A few minutes later, Barnsley equalise.
    A few minutes later, Cardiff miss a penalty.
    From the resulting corner, Cardiff score - Olofinjana to make it 1-2.
    81 minutes on the clock, Blake is sent off for Cardiff for a second yellow, making us have to endure 10 minutes or so with ten men. Which we did.

Can't we just win the simple way for once?! :D

14. chineserapper05

chineserapper05 Captain Captain

is it possible for liverpool to get relegated this year?:eek: my roommate would never stop mocking me for the rest of my life if that happens :(

15. Roger Wilco

Well, normally I would say "no way" but then, it's happened before; Manchester City, United and Chelsea have also spent some time outside of the top flight in their history. Things can change, big clubs can turn into small clubs and the other way round. The real nightmares will come to Liverpool in the next couple years if the financial and ownership problems can't be solved though imo.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think it is probably too early to panic for Liverpool, especially when you remember that Hodgson's initial period of Fulham was similarly poor, if I recall. That said I think Liverpool may have to accept being a club level with the likes of Villa/Everton and co rather than a top 4 team, at least until the owndership and money issues are sorted.

17. Roger Wilco

Hodgson is not the problem, but I do think Liverpool fans might have a tough couple years ahead of them. Falling out of the top4 is probably a bigger problem in England than in any other league. Liverpool is Liverpool, but how long will they be able to draw that much attention from the public disproportionate to their athletic performance while a bunch of other, supposedly "lesser" clubs surge ahead of them? 2 years, 5 years, 10 years? The longer it takes to turn their fortunes around the more difficult it will be to get back on top.
    Tradition alone doesn't buy you success, especially not in the era of the Abramovichs and Arab Sheiks.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I bet Hodgson is wishing he sold Torres in the summer, he could of brought in 4 or 5 players for the money he would of gotten. Torres is a shadow of the player he was and the injuries will keep coming in my opinion...hes going the way of Owen.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

This is true, let's face it Everton are a big club in terms of fanbase and history as well but financially aren't remotely big hitters anymore.

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though, and he'd have been castigated if he had sold him. Hanging onto Torres and Gerrard seemed good business at the time.