Most annoying Starfleet munchkin

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Renvar, Sep 22, 2008.

?

Most annoying Starfleet munchkin?

1. Wesley

33 vote(s)
    43.4%
  2. Jake

5 vote(s)
    6.6%
  3. Nog

6 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. Icheb

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  5. Naomi

20 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. Renvar

Renvar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

EDIT: New poll is up, check it out here!

Since there wasn't really any annoying kids in TOS (that I recall), this'll just be for TNG, DS9, and VOY. Who is the most annoying?

Personally I'm going with Naomi. Wesley is a close contender, granted, but I really think it was more along the lines of what they did with his character more than the character himself. He gets points for being angsty though. Naomi OTOH, had this indescribable out-of-placeness. Every time they used her character, it always seemed forced to me. Plus she was really chipper, which was kind of off-beat with a lot of the episodes she was in.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  2. Dale

Dale Vice Admiral Admiral

I couldn't vote in your poll, because the correct answer, of course, is: Molly effing O'Brien.

3. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

OMG, this has got to be the best poll EVAR! ;)

The obvious answer is of course Wesley Crusher, he makes my blood boil, following closely behind him is Jake Sisko then Icheb. I actually found Nog to be a good character. Naomi never really annoyed me since we saw very little of her.

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I never had a problem with Naomi; Scarlett Pomers was one of the least-annoying child actors I can remember watching on a regular basis, and almost completely lacking in that precious cutesiness which makes you wish bad things would happen to many child characters. Jake was fine. Never had a problem with Wesley, either, nor Icheb. Nog was somewhat grating, to start, (intentionally so, I'm quite sure) but it got better.

I think the glaring omission from your poll would have to be Alexander Rozhenko.

5. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

I had to vote Icheb, only because of what an ass the actor was in real life. Stupid Borg Boy.

Yunikuron likes this.
  6. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

Why can't I vote for Alexander????? Worf's whiney little son was soooo irritating.

7. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Peeps:

I think the key here is "Starfleet munchkin." In other words, young kids who are Starfleet officer wannabes or who became officers. So Alexander was never in Starfleet. Neither, up till the point we saw her, was Molly O'Brien.

I did find Naomi a bit more annoying even than Wesley, even though I don't hate her. Annoying is just that -- too precocious by half, emulating Seven of Nine -- just grating.

While Nog could be an ingratiating weasel at times, I think his evolution from misguided Ferengi to gung-ho Starfleet officer means as a character, he arguably went through the biggest change in attitude of any of the regular characters.

I still think Wesley was nearly as annoying because of the child-genius-Mozart angle. It would've been better if he was just your slightly better-than-average, ambitious student.

Jake shouldn't be included in the poll because he was the 24th century equivalent of a military brat, not a Starfleet cadet or officer.
    If you had named the poll most annoying ST munchkin, you could've added Alexander Rozhenko and Molly O'Brien for sure. And then Jake would fit, too.

Wow, poor Naomi is winning the poll, bless her heart!

Red Ranger

8. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of the poll choices, Naomi is the most unpleasant. Alexander is definitely the worst of the recurring children characters, though.

Dishonorable mention must be made of all the child actors in "And the Children Shall Lead" and "Miri."

Thinking back, I can't recall any major child guest roles in ENT, so it may be the best in this area by default.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Explain.

10. amdmiami

amdmiami Commander Red Shirt

There will never be anything more annoying then Wesely Crusher.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll say Naomi, simply on the grounds that none of the episodes that focused on her were really any good. Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means a Wesley fan, but The First Duty was a pretty good episode.

12. Renvar

Renvar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Fine, pick me apart, ya buggers. :klingon:

Kinda forgot that Jake didn't actually join Starfleet. My bad. That was what I was focusing on here. Naomi also didn't join on-screen, but it was her ambition to, so I figure that's justifiable. Molly and Alexander, while arguably more annoying than Naomi, never expressed an interest in joining Starfleet that we saw.

Argh, now you got me wanting to include them. Fine, I'll remake the poll to include ALL the ST munchkins. The ones we have so far are:

Wesley Crusher
    Icheb
    Mezoti
    Naomi Wildman
    Molly O'brien
    Alexander Roshenko
    Jake Sisko
    Nog

I'll remake the poll in an hour. Are there any other children who should be nominated? Please post here, and hold your votes until the new poll is up. I'd like to keep it restricted to main and recurring characters, however if you think there's a really good one from a single story arc that I missed, feel free to voice it.

EDIT: New poll is up, check it out here!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  13. Brian

I wrote up the experience once, let me see if I can dig up the old post. I'm sure I'll forget bits if I try to recount it now...

14. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

Oh please tell us more. I found him to be one of worst actors I ever saw and his character quite forgettable. The idea that he actually thought that he was special in some way is quite stunning. :wtf::guffaw:

15. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

Wesley should have been the only option. :p

And, HEY! :klingon: Molly O'Brien was adorable!

16. Brian

I found it. It was such an unpleasant experience, I wanted to find the original write-up from when it was all still fresh in my mind. It's kind of long, but I was kind of pissed, lol. This was at the Tampa Vulkon convention in 2004. Here goes...

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^Wow, I've been wondering why I'd never seen the guy acting in anything since Voyager ended. That would explain it.

18. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I honestly didn't mind Jake, but the rest I wanted to see shoved out an airlock. Too bad there wan't a choice for all of the above.

19. Captain Leslie

Captain Leslie Lieutenant Red Shirt

Wesley hands down...ARG! Not even 'The Festival' would make him worth watching!

20. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Icheb. Seriously, Borg babies?!?!