Favorite Trek Soundtracks...

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Joel_Kirk, Jul 30, 2014.

1. VST

VST Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The montage music! Yes, that's just beautiful. Chokes me a bit whenever I hear it.

2. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

I get teary eyed every time I listen to it!

3. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

My favorite Trek sound tracks:

TOS movies:
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture

TNG:
    Star Trek Nemesis

and I love the new Trek movie soundtracks.

4. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    The best music - on its own - moves you and takes you on a journey. The composers who can do that are masters.

5. VST

Michael Giacchino often does - we're lucky to have him aboard Trek, even if it's not his best cinematic work. That's probably Up.

6. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Up. I thoroughly enjoyed that movie. Grabs you by the heartstrings from moment one. :)

7. Joel_Kirk

I have yet to see 'Up;' it's on my 'to see' list.

The first Giacchino score I heard and liked was for "The Incredibles." (One of my favorite films).

8. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm mostly a Jerry Goldsmith guy.

Joel, I posted this elsewhere a while back, but I think you may get a chuckle out of it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X0cfl52sps

In other news:

I haven't watched Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home in quite a few years. I can't say it's my favorite, but I'm holding out, curious if its '80's' feel will be more effective in years to come, in the way that the original series' Tomorrow is Yesterday benefits from the passage of time.

Sort of unrelated...but I thought the beam-in sound accompanying the main title in ST IV was a sound effect too far.

And I still say IV's main theme reminds me of Christmas music. :lol:

9. xavier

xavier Commander

Michael Giacchino probably has given us the best trek sound track of all time.

10. VST

^One of them, for sure, in Star Trek. Both of his have been very good.

11. malchya

malchya Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

TMP set a new standard for movie soundtracks when it premiered. I recall that even the critics and fans who panned the film positively gushed over the score.

TFF was a surprisingly good score. I use it for background and RPG music with regularity.

First Contact's score was amazing. I turned to my wife in the theater as the opening credits faded into Picard's dream and told her, "Even if the rest of the film is dreadful, I've had my money's worth!"

TWOK and TSFS were excellent for their time. Unfortunately Horner continued to write for film and now all I can think is, "Oh, look! The starship Titanic just hit the giant space iceberg!"

09 and STID are good scores with a couple of great tracks each, but somehow don't quite sing when listened to without the films.

Insurrection and Nemesis are both far better than the films they accompany.

TVH... Lord, but I hate every aspect of that film. This is the only Trek soundtrack that I no longer own seperately. I cringe at it's 80s bubblegum shallowness.

My favorite piece of Trek music, however, is the intro to DS9. It's the ringtone on my phone!

12. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

It's a matter of age with Horner. When TWOK came out, my friends were bitching about how it all sounded like THE WOLFEN and BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS ... and they were right! I can't think of anyone else who has been so shamelessly derivative and yet so overwhelmingly successful.

For me, it has always been TMP, TFF, select pieces of TWOK like SNEAK ATTACK frenzied portions and, TV-wise, THE DOOMSDAY MACHINE and THE EMPATH (also the good exciting stuff on TIN MAN.)

13. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

I can't distinguish the soundtracks all that well, but I do know I absolutely LOVE Goldsmith's "Klingon Imperial Theme".

14. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

I dunno. It seemed to me he just wrote one theme and repeated it ad nauseum. Very repetitive.

15. Joel_Kirk

It does repeat, but I like it.

I remember this kid (probably in middle school at the time) sitting in the back of me whistling the theme song during the closing credits of the 2009 film. It was awesome.