Niners Unite...around Babylon 5! - The Lost Threads

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Neroon, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

LOL you guys made my day!
    Thank you so much!!!

3. Quinton O'Connor

4. DS9 Gal AZ

DS9 Gal AZ Captain Captain

:) Aww yes, Kosh is such fun. I miss that cryptic ol' so-and-so. "Interludes and Examinations" gets me everytime.

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Simply covered in Awesome Sauce :bolian:

6. DS9 Gal AZ

^Thankies :)

7. Quinton O'Connor

Awesome sauce sounds quite tasty.

8. DS9 Gal AZ

It should sound tasty. I heard it's what the Vorlons eat after all. ;)

9. Lanny77

Lanny77 Lieutenant Red Shirt

:guffaw: I love it!

Personally, I'm intruged as to what Kira and Ivanova would react to each other, two incredibly strong willed women with a passion for shouting at underlings;)

10. rhubarbodendron

that's an excellent point! I never thought of it. I guess they'd first try to kill each other and than gang up against the rest of the universe =)
    Londo/Quark would also be an interesting pairing. And Worf/Lennier.

Btw, did you ever notice that B5 is the only SciFi series where there is no ingenious engineer among the main characters? (At least the only one I've seen so far.)

11. DS9 Gal AZ

^ Indeed. The closest we get on B5 is ... actually, I can't think of anyone. Hmm. Personally, for some weird reason, I always wanted Ivanova to meet Luwaxna Troi, mostly just so Ivanova could snap at her to stay out of her head, heh. I always found B5's treatment of telepathy more "realistic" and interesting than Trek's treatment of it.

12. Lanny77

^ the closet we got for engineers on B5 were the maintenance workers Mack and Bo from A View from the Gallery. On the subject of telepaths, I could see Bester being slightly unnerved by the large number of powerful telepaths in the ST universe and the psychic whiplash he might suffer trying to scan one like Tuvok.

Side note, I can't help but smile at the thoughts of Q appearing in the middle of one of Kosh's moments of insight

KOSH: A stroke of the brush does not guarantee art from the bristles.
    Q: *rolls eyes* Oh how profound and wise of you, tentacle head. Next you'll be telling us riveting stories of how your species spent the last three millennium contemplating their own navels while the paint dried on your little baby planet killer *raps kosh's head*

13. DS9 Gal AZ

14. rhubarbodendron

^^ now that's an image! Bester vs Lwaxana! Within 5 minutes he'd have him roll up in a corner and weep :devil:

Kosh vs Q is another pairing I'd love to see.

15. Lanny77

Just imagine the battle of minds, Bester throwing everything he can, Lwaxana just shrugging it off and returning the favour tenfold....Excuse me, I have a fanfic to go write >:3

16. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm joining the B5 bandwagon. I was a huge DS9 fan, and loved Farscape, so I think it's time to give this one a shot. I did watch one episode of B5 years ago, and the only thing I remember is they got new uniforms.I ordered Season 1 from Amazon and should have it shortly and will slowly work my way through the series.

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

S1 lays alot of groundwork, and puts alot of Checkov's guns on the wall, but, you don't necessarily see that first run through. Some folks have a hard time getting through alot of S1, but, I find it's much better on a rewatch, when you can recognize stuff being set up.

Having said that, I found most of S1 enjoyable on my first run through when it originally aired

18. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Alright, let's do this.

I vaguely remember watching a couple episodes of B5 back when DS9 was airing. I didn't think much of it, so I never kept up with it.

Quality sci-fi these days being lacking as it is, I'm starting to dig in the older wells now.

So, if all of you would indulge me being fans of B5. Is it worth it? How does it compare to DS9? Are the characters and plots mostly coherent? Just fishing for a bit of info before I decide to commit myself to a comprehensive watching.

Thanks!

19. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I can't answer as to how B5 compares to DS9 because I only lasted about 1.5 seasons of DS9 when I realized I just didn't care about any of the characters and dropped it. At some point I'd like to try it again.

IMO, the characters and plots are very coherent. Some complain that there's a lot of rehashing in the dialogue and that can be true at times. But JMS had chosen to do everything he could to ensure that a person could tune in to any episode and not be lost and there are only a handful of 'Previously on...' clips done throughout the series.

Nobody there is exactly what he appears. I envy the folks who get to see it the first two times. Yes, two. Because the second time you'll really appreciate all the things that were set up *long* in advance.

Enjoy!
    Jan

20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well, except for Warren Keffer. Poor bastard.

(I'd also argue that Dr. Franklin ultimately evolves very little, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have some interesting things to do along the way).