The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been impressed with how realistic the show had tried to stay to what may be likely situations in a real zombie apolocopyse. Why would be they bungle it now?

But agreed - a week + is likely between Carl's surgery and seemingly full recovery.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hit a deer once (fortunately I'd slowed down because another deer had already crossed the road), and I can tell you, that freaked me out plenty! Even though the stupid thing committed suicide in front of my car by jumping out of the bushes at me, I felt bad about it, since it was a mammal and not a bug or something. So I can imagine the gut reaction of seeing a human shape bouncing off the hood of your car.

3. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Zombie or otherwise, something that size coming through your windshield is a possibility you really want to avoid; plenty of people have been seriously injured or killed that way. "Keep your eyes on the road" is probably as valid post-ZA as it ever was, maybe more so if wildlife is getting used to the roads being deserted, plus unattended livestock and so on. But maybe she's always driven that way.

Yeah, it seemed like it might just be pique at Daryl telling her off. "You won't do what I want? Well I'll show you!" Didn't show a lot of sense, to me.

Justin

4. DarthTom

Her reaction was 100% natural. I've seen people practically flip the car to miss a possom which is a god awfully ugly creature and a general menace.

What doesn't make sense however is why she took off in the car. The group has faced more dangerous situations than the sick woman who wasn't even facing imminent danger.

5. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

The biggest problem I have with any "realistic" timeline is how quickly the CDC ran out of power. Are they really not prepared to last more than a few months during a massive outbreak? Has the government forgotten about nuclear power?

6. DarthTom

Not to mention the fact that several natural gas and oil pipelines criss-cross the US underground and are piped directly to large petroleum and natrual gas storage facilities - one such large facility is here in Atlanta.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I also think it took Rick more than a single day to reach atlanta.

8. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know if improbable is really a concern for the writers. It is a zombie show after all. :guffaw:
    I don't know why they would show the rest of the show day by day, then suddenly jump ahead in time with no explanation. And Carl was told to go rest in the last episode. Just because he is out of bed doesn't mean he is fully recovered.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I found this picture on another board

[​IMG]

10. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

If I were Glen I wouldn't put that end of a shotgun towards my head, just sayin :)

11. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That's pretty funny. :rommie:

I still wonder if the Zombie virus didn't save Carl. There's still the question of what happened to Rick during the advent of the Apocalypse. He may be a "living Zombie." And, since Carl is his kid, he may have the same genetic structure to allow that to happen.

12. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe Rick is patient zero. LOL

13. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Hazards would include stuff that would be cleaned up or fixed pre-apocalypse: abandoned vehicles, various debris, fallen tree limbs, and, as time passes, washed out roads, bridges, unfilled potholes, flooded areas, etc.

14. Temis the Vorta

There's still the question of what the CDC guy whispered to Rick. It might have been about the living zombie idea. Couldn't have been Lori's pregnancy since that came as a surprise to Rick.

Here's a brief and largely unenlightening article on the topic.

Something about the zombie plague that is more upsetting than, yknow, just the zombie plague part...hmmm...

I'm sticking with "You're already dead, and that's not a metaphor." :D

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  15. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

That would make the most sense. "Uh, technically you're a zombie, although you don't appear contagious or show any signs..."

Makes Carl's quick re-animation, err, recovery make a lot more sense, too. Got a lot of daddy's blood, and then everything seems to be just fine. Could he have the non-death flavor of zombie-ism? Maybe even the thing they were going for in the evil science lab that created this? (isn't it always an experiment gone a little wrong? Super-soldiers, cure for cancer, whatever)

16. Temis the Vorta

The hospital scene where Shane described not hearing Rick's heartbeat is the key. The producers went to a lot of trouble to calibrate the gunfire so it wasn't loud enough to cast doubt on Shane's story.

If they wanted us to believe "Shane is lying" or "Shane is deluding himself," it would have been easy just to increase the decibel level of the gunshots in the distance. Or, they could have simply not included a flashback to that scene at all, and let us wonder. Our minds would naturally wander to "Shane's got a motive to lie."

The way they chose to go with that scene tells me that they want us to infer that there really wasn't a heartbeat for Shane to hear. Whether that means Rick was dead or just in some kind of near-death zombie-coma, I dunno. But that scene will turn out to be very significant.

17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

You guys are on crack. I'm going with "everyone has the virus".

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just saw "Rick" on Letterman, didn't realize he wasn't American, just how many are on the air now? I blame House.

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I forgot about the transfusion. It could be either that or the genetics. Or both, I suppose.

20. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The whole Rick is a zombie sort of, doesnt really fit with the character though. He's always struck me as someone who'd do anything to protect his family and others. It seems more likely to me that if he'd been told by Captain CDC that he had the zombie bug, he would have either stayed in there to be incinerated, or headed as far away as possible from the group. And i doubt he would have risked infecting Carl through blood transfusions.

We're everywhere. Your neighbour, two doors down? He's not an American, he's british. Your Doctor, Hank McApplepie? Replaced years ago by Rowan Atkinson.

It's all part of our secret plan to retake the colonies.