Guitar Hero "Greatest Hits" Due This Year

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Hermiod, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Say Activision.

The game will include full band versions of the more popular songs from all of the previous Guitar Hero games. So, Through the Fire and Flames again, then.

2. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

Wow! imagine the drums part on TTFAF! That would give your bass drum foot a workout. Also, notice not PS2 port. Could the Wii befinally getting it's own engine for these games?

3. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Will the Wii ever get a non-Nintendo game that hasn't been shovelled over from another system with a daft control scheme bolted on top ? :)

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are some good songs on Guitar Hero Rocks the 80s I wish I could play. But after going from GH II and GH III to Rock Band, I don't think I can go back to Guitar Hero.

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

For me, there is very little difference in the gameplay between Rock Band and Guitar Hero. Rock Band has the better store, yes, but Guitar Hero World Tour had a much better setlist this year. It did not help Rock Band 2 that a lot of its best tracks were already on World Tour.

Hopefully, any songs from the earlier Guitar Hero games will not be cover versions this time around. There's also the fact that the original Guitar Hero was never released for the Xbox 360. There are loads of songs in there I'd love to have, if they're going to be master recordings as well.

6. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

Here's the thing for me when it comes to GH3 and World Tour vs. Rock Band. As a musician, I can definately tell that a bunch of musicians make the game vs, the people at Neversoft. The song structures and notes make a lot more sense from Harmonix vs Neversoft.

They're done correctly with the proper 2/4, 3/4, 4/4 timing and the placement of the notes in the measure structure. Granted I haven't played World Tour yet, so I won't bash it, but Neversoft's first outing with GH3 really paled in Comparison. But that's just my opinion.

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Fair enough, I'm not a musician. Aside from piano lessons when I was a kid, I don't know a great deal about playing music. There are a few minor gameplay differences for me but that's it.

8. Aragorn

I noticed a difference between GH II and GH III, though my friends really didn't.

Depending on the song, I'm not very good at the fast repetitive strumming. But on Rock Band I can count out the tempo really well, and in some cases I don't even have to look at the screen to know when I should be strumming.

9. JonathonWally

One thing that really sticks out is how excellent the drum tracks are. I mean, if you can play expert drums on Rock Band, you should go out and buy a real set of Drums cause you're pretty much there. The only real things they have to do is take into consideration you've only got 4 pads to play the song on, so they take some liberty and put all the different drum hits and put them into the 4 pads,

And of course, the main difference is on really hard songs, like Panic Attack, Constant Motion, Painkiller and Vision, and all the Rush tracks, they take out the second hit on the bass pedal because all those drummers use double bass pedals and it would be impossible for you to hit those with only one pedal.

10. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Ah, I've only got a guitar, no drums - no room!

11. JonathonWally

I hear ya, I don't have them set up too often, and even the box to store them in takes up a lot of room. It's a pain in the ass. Especially since I want the Ion Drums and those will just take up even more room.

12. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm really glad to hear about this, because there are a bunch of songs on the older GH games that I'd love to play again but can't. Expanding them to full band versions just adds more awesome.

As for the differences between the games... I'm no musician, but I can feel that the two games do play slightly different, I just can't tell you how. It's weird. But I love them both.

13. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Wait -- this means that Activision is releasing Guitar Hero 5, Modern Hits, Greatest Hits and Metallica ... all in one freakin' year.

Jesus Christ. Neversoft was already a bunch of crack-addled monkeys who wouldn't know music if it slapped them in the face, but this is just ridiculous. And it's not like the recent Guitar Hero set lists have even been good.

14. mrcoaster

mrcoaster Fleet Admiral Admiral

Supposedly there are SIX GH-related titles coming out this year. They do love to milk it for all it's worth. The quality just isn't quite up to snuff though. JonathonWally hit the nail on the head regarding the charting and feel of RB. I've played enough GHIII and WT (and Aerosmith) to know that it's just missing things. A lot of people have said that GH is for gamers and RB is for people who love music. Seems pretty true for me at least. We can play RB all day, but with GH, we'd work through a couple of songs and just want to go back to playing RB. Oh, and Hermiod - you should have reversed that - it was GH that had some songs on their setlist that were already in RB2. Not the other way around. RB's setlist was named first and the game came out first. Just nitpicking there. ;)

As for the game in the topic? There will probably be some great songs on there, but between the barrage of GH titles out there in a short time and the gameplay not changing, there's little interest here.

15. Aragorn

I'm already waiting in line for "World of Guitar Hero: Wrath of the Heavy Metal King" and "Guitar Hero NFL."

16. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Which is what I did. If only my drum set was in the same room as my TV, I could play some of those songs "acoustically".