NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by SmoothieX, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

He wasn't holding onto the jersey though. I mean it's a fight for the ball, I get that, but it was also clearly a hold. What I'm upset about is it seemed like Baltimore comes out playing a perfect game when they didn't.

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I remember some PI that should have been called on the 9ers earler. I don't think they called every penalty that was a penalty, but I don't think they favored at team either way.

3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Exactly. He was pushing off his helmet. Good no call.

And there was an obvious hold on Kaepernick's TD run that wasn't called.

4. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Perhaps not as demonstrably, but Crabtree was shoving and pushing to about the same extent. It seemed to me like a good non-call, because neither got an advantage..

5. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

:techman::techman:

Both teams played well overall, and the QBs in particular shined; Kaepernick got rattled for awhile, but pulled it together nicely I think, and Flacco was a star.

Yeah, I pretty much agree here. The 9ers probably have a slightly stronger case, but overall no favoritism. I think it wasn't a well-officiated game in general though before Baneyonce knocked the power out - too loosely officiated, too much chippiness and fighting (including one blatant shoving of a ref and a punch thrown at one point). I understand it's the Superbowl and you wanna let them play, but it was getting a little out of control before halftime imo.

I thought the halftime show was really good too, even not being much of a Beyonce or Destiny's Child fan.

6. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

No joke. Mike Carey is the best in the league, I don't know why he doesn't get in the Super Bowl every year. I know its based on scorecard throughout the year, but how is this guy not the highest rated???

Plus, Mike Carey don't take shit from no one.

7. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Congratulations to New Orleans on hosting their last Super Bowl!

8. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

I thought the 36 minutes of blackout were more entertaining than the halftime show tbh. Not a fan. :p

9. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

So, yeah, my neighborhood in Baltimore was a madhouse last night.

10. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A lot of refs are pretty suspicious of the current system. Boger had 8 downgrades throughout the season and they were all reversed, giving him a perfect score and the ability to run the Super Bowl.

11. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Can someone make Phil Simms go away, so annoying in everything he says.

12. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I went to a conference in Baltimore a few years ago. We went to the National Aquarium as one of the group activities after dinner. The group wasn't all that social to deal with, and I had been there before, so I said screw this and took a walk around the city.

It was nice, the Inner Harbor, some sports/concert venue, keep walking a couple of blocks more and suddenly I'm deep in the 'hood.

Glad I was not in that section of town last night.

Now that the offseason is on - I'll start taking bets on what Pollard does to someone on the Pats next year.

I'm putting the O/U on injuries at 1.5, and the odds on where the injury occurs in lower body to upper body 5:3. :scream:

13. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I've watched that play to Crabtree more and more today... and interference could definitely been called. The reason I don't get too wound up about it is because it looked like Crabtree was pushing off a bit on Smith's helmet. Plus, the refs seemed to really let the defensive players have as much play as the receivers all game long. Then again, I can understand here it's for the championship title.

To me the worse non-call was why the refs never called a single penalty for holding on that punt-safety. Jim H had no problem with the play itself, saying "you're coached to do that", and it makes sense. But a penalty while still getting a safety, stops the clock sooner, enough time that the Niners might - and I emphasize "might" - have given them time for a run back and one kick to tie it up.

Truth be told, I was surprised the Niners kept passing there on that stand. The running game had been going strong especially up the middle. I can see one, maybe two passing plays but four?

Eh.... it's all over and the Ravens earned it. Wasn't the cleanest game, but it wasn't the worst, either.

14. tighr

Again, maybe because its the Super Bowl, but I was really surprised there were no ejections in not one, but TWO fights during the game. Put that on Boger, also.

15. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

I noticed the monster hold, too. But then I thought, so what? It's holding in the endzone, still a saftey. Nothing would have changed.

It WOULD NOT have stopped the clock sooner. The play would have still been run to its finish. They don't stop the clock just because there was a hold in the endzone. The play isn't blown dead then. They let the play run, then the 49ers would have had a option to take the play or take the penalty with the same result either way.

16. tighr

Well, the 2012 season is over.

It's fun to go back to the first couple pages of this thread and read everyone's optimistic outlook on this season!

17. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The most obvious non-call by the refs all game was the hit on Flacco after he was five feet out of bounds. Wonder what the "S.F. was robbed" folks thought about that? :confused:

18. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It wouldn't have stopped the clock earlier. It would be a play called after the ball stops. The 49ers would have the choice of replaying fourth down (after half the distance to the goal) or declining the penalty and taking the safety. So it wouldn't have made a difference.

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yep, time to turn the lights out on this thread.

20. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, it would have been a safety for holding in the endzone. It would have made less than no difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.