Venture Bros 4x02 (Grade and Discuss)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Broccoli, Oct 25, 2009.

?

Grade VB 4x02

1. Go Team Venture! (Excellent)

55.0%
  2. Brock (Above Average)

35.0%
  3. Hank & Dean (Average)

10.0%
  4. Dr. Venture (Below Average)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The Traitorous Phantom Limb (Terrible)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Will Hank meet his hero? Kevin Conroy guest stars on tonight's Venture Bros! I've been looking forward to this one for a while.

In case you miss it, the episode hasn't been loaded online, yet. I'm sure it will be sometime within the next week or so. Check the official Venture Bros. website.

Is it me, or does the casting of Kevin Conroy as Captain Sunshine have the potential for several meta-gags in this episode?

2. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

Oh God...that was absolutely brilliant...Though I do have to wonder about the money.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Hilarious episode! It's kinda weird to suddenly introduce a character with Superman-level powers though. Have they ever shown someone with bona fide super powers before...? But in any case, excellent episode. This show sure does love its pedophilia. Why wasn't Brock in this episode? I forgot the last episode already is he still on the run from OSI?

4. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Brillant episode, and the Monarch was just classic.

Yep, he's working for Sphinx now.

5. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Wondered early one "is this episode just going to be one long gay pedophile joke?" And yes, it was.

I found the part where Monarch is dressed as the sidekick and goads Sunshine on was sickly funny.

Why did they take a taxi at the end?

Yeah, the Fantastic Four parodies, the Impossibles, though their powers are mostly afflictions rather than useful.

6. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

The Monarch going for the nut shot and then running like hell with the money, that's just classic Venture right there. Loved the bit with the Monarch wondering why they were wasting time arching Venture and the Dr. Ms The Monarch's follow up comment.

7. Broccoli

While it was funny, I am disturbed by the amount of pedophilia jokes these guys like to throw into episodes, especially since Sgt. Hatred is/was VB's resident pedo. Capt. Sunshine being that seemed redundant. Although, I will admit, the pedo stuff seemed to be more of a bait and switch kind of joke (for example, you think the lube is for anal sex, when it turns out it is for the slide/costume switch).

Don't forget the original Team Venture had superpowered characters.

8. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I know they laid it on pretty heavy that Sunshine is a pedo, but maybe it's more of a over protective childlike like mother. Granted all the rest of the gang read it as pedo, which is the joke, but he struck me more in the Norman Bateish sort of crazy vein than Sgt. Hatred type.

And speaking of Sgt. Hatred, the part with Billy and the whole "So it's legal for me to feel..." was really well played for what it was.

9. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

You also have to remember that the Monarch killed his last sidekick, which almost explains his overprotectiveness.

Having him sound like Batman was just icing on the cake. I was at a panel at Dragon*Con last year and the creators said that they made him sound more like Batman during the recordings.

10. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

Personally I think it was a satire on the old Batman than the new Batman...

11. Broccoli

I think it was a little of both. There totally was the camp value. On the other hand, the fact that Kevin Conroy (who voiced a darker Batman) was voicing the character, made it humorously ironic.

12. jep316

jep316 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Loved it...missed Brock though I hope he isn't gone for too long.

I think the cringe worthy way they play is he or isn't Captain Sunshine a pedo was :lol: but in the end I don't think he is...also the ideal of entire superhero team being a local nightly news team in there secret ids was brilliant.

The Monarch and company were as funny as ever..loved 21 in his "Wolverine" getup.

I'm guessing White and Billy must have won some sort of injury lawsuit to get their money but why they gave it to Rusty is beyond me they had to know they'd lose it.:rolleyes:

Still not crazy about Sgt.Hatred as the new bodyguard..but I think thats the point we're not supposed too were supposed to want Brock back.

13. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Maybe they were paid off by OSI?

14. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ghost Robot was awesome.

Overall, an enjoyable episode, unfortunately weighed down, as others have said said, by the redundancy of the pedophilia jokes when Sergeant Hatred's already right there. I mean, they were still funny, but I was like... hey, they already have someone to do this schtick.

The Monarch went from awesome to kind of stupid in a split second. The horrible mindfuck he laid on Sunshine was killer, but then went retarded and hit the solar man with a solar ray. I mean, come on. VB is cleverest when its characters are wise to the tropes of their own stories. The Monarch is pretty bright ordinarily, but even a cursory analysis would probably suggest that shining ultraviolet light, on a guy who is known to be powered by said light, is probably going to, you know, power him.

So, I gave it above average.

15. Broccoli

^ But that is Monarch's problem. He doesn't think things through.

16. ParticleMan

ParticleMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I gave it an average...now, average VB is infinitely better than 95% of everything else on TV...but as others have said, I just with they'd given Captain Sunshine some other personality quirk rather than "likes young boys". Of course, then we'd have lost the lube joke bit...and the Monarch was great in this...the Copter 5 bit...OK, maybe upon further reflection I need to upgrade to an Above Average... :)

17. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they wanted to make Captain Sunshine into a "Red Herring" Joke much like Doctor Girlfriend was for seasons 1-2.

He was obviously disturbed and I think his Rainbow motif was funny as heck.

I think it was funny especially all of the previous refs int he previous episodes to Captain Sunshine and we find out he is another loser crapsack hero who is completely nuts.

18. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

It does fit into the show's repeated theme of failure.

19. ParticleMan

ParticleMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think that practically every character we've ever met in Venture Bros is a loser crapsack who is completely nuts...that's why I love the show... :lol:

20. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

was Sunshine a pedo, or was it just public perception?