Your ideal New Trek Series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by jmampilly, Apr 26, 2014.

1. jmampilly

jmampilly Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi guys,
    I read about the new Trek series on the table, which would portray Worf as a captain. This got me thinking about what a future Trek show would have, ideally...

What do you want to see in a new Trek series? A war-centric one like DS9, one abundant with moral dilemmas, like TNG, or perhaps something a bit closer to home, like ENT?

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

3. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:)
    I think more like Star Trek The Next Generation.:) The ratings were best for TNG than the other series.:)

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

People on a spaceship doing stuff in outer space.

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

ENT was a missed oppertunity, the decision to make the captain a innocent stumbling fool was a mistake. A few of the character were fine in isolation, but the crew never "meshed."

While not disregarding what happen in ENT, have another go at a pre-TOS series.

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

My ideal series would be one involving a 25th- or 26th-Century Enterprise.

7. varek

varek Commander Red Shirt

I wonder if they could develop a concept like the BBC's Playhouse, where potential pilots were shown as single episodes. The one with the highest ratings could then become a new series.

A series about the crew of a newer ship, like the Aventine and Captain Ezri Dax, would be good, and so would a series about Klingon and/or Cardassian mercenaries, I think.

(The Titan books have good adventures, but some of its more-exotic crewmembers might be difficult to depict on the small screen.)

8. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

The problem I have with a series set in the 25th and 26th centuries is the technology would be getting too magical, or you would have to cook up a reason that technological advancement largely stopped in the 24th century. Some kind of general societal fall like a Federation civil war would be one possible explanation.

A Titan series would be a nice possibility, we would have Riker and Troi to anchor it to previous Trek and then new characters we've never seen before to move the show forward. At this point recasting Riker and Troi would basically be a given.

The show could start immediately following the events of Nemesis, or pick up months/years after Riker takes command.

The Titan TV series wouldn't have to have any connection to the books, the ship and characters would be fresh creations.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  9. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

An animated Titan series starring the voices of Frakes and Sirtis would be wonderful... But the animation would have to be very good, on a par with Star Wars: The Clone Wars or Transformers Prime. But an animated show would avoid any potential problems with more exotic crewmembers.

10. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ideally, strip it down to the studs, to use a home improvement metaphor, eliminating any of the cold war relics and outdated science/tech ideas but keep the intrepid explorers navigating an extraordinary universe.

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I would place it early 25th century and make it a show with TNG's idealism and sense of exploration but contrasted against the realpolitik of DS9.

I agree there is the risk of technology getting too magical and too plot breaking, but to be blunt, the implications of their technologies have never stopped the writers before from just doing the story they wanted to do. And there's nothing at all stopping them from throwing out everything Voyager and Enterprise established about the 27th through 31st centuries.

Why not have warp technology advance to the point they can reach other galaxies in say, a few months travel, and send a small fleet of ships alone to explore and engage diplomacy in the Andromeda galaxy. Close enough to get home whenever they want, but not so close to get reinforcements in a dangerous situation.

12. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

There are many different things I'd like to see on the next series. One thing I think would be good to see would be a TOS-era series, but had nothing to do with the Enterprise or her crew--something like a Miranda-Class ship with a far more diverse crew, perhaps even an alien Captain.

13. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

This. I've long wanted to see either a series set mid-way between ENT and TOS, in the first few years of the 23rd century, or a show centered around the actual launch of the Enterprise, with Captain April at the helm. If you go by the dates set in the old ST Chronology, this would be 2245, twenty years ahead of TOS, allowing it to look both familiar and different at the same time.

Never happen, I know, but I still think there's a lot of interesting gaps to fill in between the two existing shows.

:bolian:

14. Morag

Morag Cadet Newbie

I would be really interested in a series which focused on the Events after Voyager but not Centered around the Voyager Crew.

I'd love to see A federation "Colonization Fleet" Embark on a journey back into the delta quadrant to colonize space there and to set up trade and diplomacy with the Delta Quadrant species such as the Talaxians ( possibly involving Ambassador Neelix :) )
    Of course they would of had to discover a worm hole like In DS9 or some way to get out there and back easily.

The plot could develop so that They accidentally peeve off some alien race who the federation accidentally colonized in their space which could lead to a war themed story arc. Also along with perhaps an more un-wanted business expansion of the Ferengi Alliance sparking tensions between world over lucrative opportunities.

15. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

Moving to the "Future of Trek" forum...

16. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

STAR TREK: The Next Generation has this uncanny knack for satisfying audiences to the very core. That kind of an experience with The Original Series characters is the ideal blend ... the perfect mix ... designed to satiate and keep us coming back for more. I personally can't wait to see it, myself ...

17. The Colonel

The Colonel Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

For me the "ideal" series would be something that continues the overall plot lines of TNG and DS9 (maybe picking up a few years after Nemesis) with a new crew and cameos from TNG, DS9 and VOY characters. It could have complex multi episode story arcs mixed in with more TNG like exploration.

But... That will never happen. Trek has moved on and any potential TV series will want to draw in the wider audience of the JJ movies, not hardcore nerds like me. Then there's the weird bifurcated nature of the rights to the franchise, Paramount owns the rights to the movies while CBS owns the rights to any future TV series.

CBS could really do whatever the heck it wants with the franchise and not be beholden to the new movies. I suspect however that they would try to tie a new series to the JJ universe in some way. They will never be able to have the same actors portray Kirk and company on the small screen and I don't think they would take the risk of recasting them again. So that leaves them with two options, either have the show follow another crew in the JJ TOS era or more likely do a TNG reboot set in the future of the JJ universe. TNG has pretty wide cultural recognition and for much of my generation (worthless 20 somethings) it is the embodiment of Star Trek.

However I think it will be a while before we see Star Trek return to television. I think the JJ movies will have to run their course first. CBS just doesn't seem interested even though a lot of high profile people have made pitches for a new series. It's too big of a potential cash cow to ignore forever but right now CBS doesn't know how to reconcile a new series with the current movies.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Some big fun, action-adventure in a weird and wild final frontier.

19. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Kirk and Spock on the Enterprise.

20. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This: