Nearly 800,000 U.S. TV households 'cut the cord'

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by John Picard, Apr 14, 2010.

1. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Some of you have stated in various discussions that "cable TV would never go away", and I've always responded, "never say never".
    Nearly 800,000 U.S. TV households 'cut the cord,' report says

IIRC, there once was a company called Blockbuster that was at the top of the video and game rental industry, when along came Netflix and GameStop...

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I've thought about cutting the cord. I do think it's the beginning of a trend of wrapping the internet and the TV watching experience together.

Network and Cable must be scrambling to figure out how to make money...

3. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We can't get but one broadcast channel in this area. Cable has been here since the Fifties, for good reason. It's not leaving our town.

4. ParticleMan

ParticleMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The current state of the economy probably has as much, if not more, to do with this than any attempt to move forward with newer technologies. People are realizing they are spending $75-100/month for multitudes of channels they don't even bother watching when they can spend less than $10/month combining web video and Netflix services to get basically the same product without all the filler...

I wonder if people will go back to subscription cable/satellite once things pick up? I'd guess probably not, but we'll see...

5. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean to tell me there is no broadband access in your area? You're tempting Fate by stating "not leaving our town", but what do you think will happen if/when the FCC gets the National Broadband Plan in action in the US.

Like I said, "Never say Never".

6. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I've considered doing this from time to time. Basically I'm paying $100+ a month to catch one or two first-run shows as they air. It is wasteful in the grand scheme of things.

edit:
    On second thought, cable is my best source of high-speed internet in my area. I can live without the cable but the internet? No. I need that.

7. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did this two months ago. No regrets so far. I'm saving $80/month. I really only care about a select few TV shows - Lost, Caprica, Friday Night Lights - and I can watch them on Hulu for free. I also like Dexter and True Blood, but I never paid for the premium channels anyway so it's not like I was used to watching them by conventional means.

Between Hulu, Netflix and my own DVD collection I have plenty to keep me happy. I'm also reading books, playing video games, going to the gym, hanging out with friends and doing other things that eat up my time so it's not like I'm bored and need to sit on the couch and channel surf.

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

So 800,000 people cut it since... the beginning of time? The article is stupid.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still have cable, mainly because I'm a baseball fan and MLB.TV is not exactly 100% reliable.

10. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The cable company is the broadband access provider in this area. There is no independent broadband access here.

11. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I wasn't so into Sports, I would probably do the same thing. I don't pay for the special packages, but even if I could, you can't get, say, the final round of the Masters or the Super Bowl online. And if you could, why would you want to watch something like that online.

This is why I wish there was an A la carte option. Smaller networks would never go for it, but we're paying so much for so much crap that it really isn't worth it.

12. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering the current economic circumstances, 800,000 fewer customers in two years seems like a low number.

13. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Less than a percent, so not really much to try and draw a trend from, especially if you consider that some of it is likely a result of the current economic situation, and not because of choice or finding the internet/netflix more convenient...

14. SlyCardie

SlyCardie Commander Red Shirt

There are still a good amount of shows that don't appear online that I want to watch, but you're definitely right about the sports things. Crazy that so many people just stopped.

15. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

It's just a fraction of the market, but there's still enough data to pull out a general trend. It certainly doesn't mean the end is nigh for cable, of course.

http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2...rs-grow-but-barriers-still-exist-for-most.ars

16. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

This isn't at all surprising with the economy how it is.

17. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree that if it weren't for sports, I probably wouldn't have cable. I don't really watch any first run shows that can't be found elsewhere if need be. I don't often watch my On Demand option either. Generally I'm content with my own dvds, netflix, and the roku box.

The antenna angle in the article struck me the most. I suspect more people do this route,j ust plugging in and seeing what they can get. I'm sure now that's much better than when we were kids in the sticks with only the 3 networks, PBS, and if we really tried the rabbit ears, fox.

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not cable, they're growing. Network TV is more vulnerable since they have no subscription revenue to offset declining viewership.

In theory, the downloading market will grow to compensate for the losses elsewhere, but those numbers are still very trivial compared with old fashioned ad revenues.

As for Netflix, it'll contribute to revenues indirectly, like DVD rentals and sales as a whole already do.

19. Ryan

Ryan Commodore Commodore

There's not much concern since the majority of cable companies are also in the ISP business. They'll just start charging a "convenience" fee for customers like me who don't have cable bundled with their internet (not looking forward to that day).

I cut the cord a number of years ago and was kinda surprised how little I missed cable. When I'm at a friend's and they complain they've got 100 channels and nothing's on I like to remind them they're paying $800+ a year for that privilege. :p

20. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

I cut the cord when I moved into my own place (no more housemate to split the cost) and couldn't justify an extra $60 a month (minimum) to subscribe to cable television.

I have an OTA HD antenna connected to my HTPC and broadband through Comcast for $50 a month which pretty much supplies all the entertainment I need (broadcast TV, Netflix streaming, Xbox Live, the occasional torrent). I don't miss cable one bit, much to my own surprise.