The Kelvin's uniforms

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by NCC-1967, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

And then later thought it looked silly, or they just wanted to change it up again by the time of TSFS. I'm fine with this. Any seconds?

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

USS Grissom only had a three digit registry, despite being in service after the 1000th ship.

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yawn...same old shit, different day

:lol:

4. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

So maybe the Kelvin is design # 05, model 14, whereas the Grissom was design # 63, model 8. Or maybe Starfleet requires a minimum 4-digit registry for ships of the line and not for science ships. There are ways to rationalize it. I get your point but I wouldn't get hung on that one thing when there are so many other things to nitpick.

Oh yeah, uniforms.

I wouldn't count on the Kelvin uniforms looking that much like those from 'The Cage.' Just my thought. They probably will seem more sweater-y like 'The Cage' ones did in comparison, but I don't think they'll be direct retreads. I'd also like to echo and agree what Cary L. Brown said upthread about the velour of TOS and its reimagined counterpart being a Class B uniform compared to the fancier stuff.

5. Eric Cheung

Eric Cheung Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Didn't this article already show us what the Kelvin crew will be wearing, as seen on the Intel site?

They don't look like Cage-era uniforms. They look like they're simpler in design than the TOS-era uniforms. They look not unlike the "All Good Things..." uniforms. They're probably a single color, dependent on department color. Blue or black appear to be command, gold or mustard appears to be for helmsmen, and George Kirk appears to be wearing black (definitely a darker shirt than Robau). That might be a clue as to why Jim Kirk is wearing black in much of the movie.

6. Semah

Semah Commander Red Shirt

You really need to let this go, man.

7. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Kelvin uniforms do look like the Cage uniforms, similar those worn by the crew of the SS Colombia. Besides, didn't we already get a good look at these (Kelvin) uniforms way back in the first spy photos? Weren't they the grey SW types?

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

You mean the Corporate Headquarters/Starfleet Academy pics, showing people in red, gray and black uniforms? I'd assume that those were supposed to have been set more than two decades after the events involving the Kelvin.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  9. Eric Cheung

Eric Cheung Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

10. M'Sharak

Okay, I remember those. Difficult to make out much, though, and the accompanying article doesn't mention grey in the colors they gave:

Does make a possible match with what little we've seen of the Kelvin uniform colors, though.

That doesn't look like a soundstage door, but I remember hearing something months back about an "industrial location" being used for the Enterprise Engineering sets. Perhaps the Kelvin sets were also in the same spot?

11. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry for the confusion, it was late and I wasn't very specific. I was refering to the early spy pics which showed some actors in grey Star Wars looking uniforms, these seem to match what we've seen since as being the Kelvin uniforms?
    My main point though, was that the Kelvin uniforms (what we've seen so far) do resemble the tatterad uniforms the crew of the S.S. Colombia was wearing in the survivers encampment scene from "The Cage", and the time would be about right since the Colombia crashed on Talos some thirty odd years before TOS's five year mission, and thus "about a generation before". I'm not saying this was intentional on the part of the makers of the new film, just perhaps a lucky coincidence, but considering the liberties they 've taken elsewhere, I'll take a fortunate coincidence anytime I can get it! Actually the Colombia crew's uniforms/costumes were probebly stock confederate uniforms from the wordrobe department which is why we never got a good look at them, but this is a good thing as it helps fudge the issue and allows us to indulge in the fiction that the S.S. Colombia and U.S.S Kelvin uniforms are the same, if we have a mind to do so?

12. M'Sharak

Hmm, just taking a quick look at screencaps from "The Cage", it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to see those tattered outfits and this one from another set of spy photos (shuttle/Lebec power station) as being the same or similar.

13. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Weren't small glimpses of the Kelvin uniforms seen in the little photo synopses of the characters on that Intel site?

14. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

And I'm going to keep punting it. These are the kinds of 'nitpicks' that, thankfully, the rest of humanity isn't going to care one bit about. If it causes fans, who are into this kind of stuff, to lose their sanity and stop watching? Then, again, thats fine with me.

Nothing against this person, you main mean well, but my gosh--there is more to the world than STAR TREK nacells and uniforms....

Rob
    Scorpio

15. M'Sharak

Who's Sheldon?

Yep. You can see caps of those (scroll down to the 12th post) and discussion of the site in this thread.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

This might be the Sheldon in question.

Isn't the Kelvin destroyed around the time Kirk is born? Which would make it around fifteen years before "the Cage". More than enough time for a uniform change.

17. M'Sharak

I had a feeling it might be, but I don't watch the show and couldn't remember what it was called.

Yes, at almost the same time. Twenty or twenty-one years, according to most timelines (2233-2254) and the Columbia's crash was supposed to have been eighteen years before the events seen in "The Cage". The uniforms worn by the Kelvin's crew and the Columbia's crew could easily have been very similar in style or design, and there'd be enough time for at least a couple of major uniform style changes to have occurred before the Cage/WNMHGB/TOS era.

18. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Starfleet does seem rather fickle when it comes to uniforms anyway.

19. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    They do seem to change them every few years or so. Even in the future timelines("All Good Things...", "The Visitor", "Endgame", et. al.)the uniforms go through a couple of revisions even though THAT history hasn't technically happened yet!

20. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

back from the grave...

now that we have such a clear image of Robau in his uniform, has anyone worked out all the Kelvin era uniforms, rank insignia, color sceme, etc.? are there good images anywhere?

I geek out on this stuff. Thanks.