Falling Skies, Revolution, and Defiance

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

FYI: There was no new episode Memorial Day weekend. Syfy ran movies that Monday, instead of original programming, so maybe you didn't miss anything.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

. . . and Xena.

3. Zod

Zod Captain Captain

Falling Skies is far better than both of those other shows and I watch all three.

Revolution I have been losing interest over time though I have them all recorded. I am about 10 episodes behind.

Defiance messed up and didn't record the last episode so I am now behind by one and I don't even care all that much. It has yet to hook me though I will give it every chance.

Falling Skies is the best Sci Fi on TV right now and its not on for very long each season. When people talk of a golden age of Sci Fi? Well this is surely not it. Sci Fi is almost dead.

These days its all about Fantasy which sometimes has Sci Fi elements. Walking Dead, True Blood and Game of Thrones.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Falling Skies should be better. But they keep writing scripts that they think are so cool that we won't notice that they're really trying to save some money for the cool special effects in the final battle four episode down the line.

Seriously in season one they had a two parter that was basically Hansel and Gretel.

5. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Children just don't understand.

The Golden Age of sci-fi was when sci-fi was mainstream entertainment and not just a nerd-niche, which means THE FIFTIES AND THE SIXTIES. That was when sci-fi was everywhere and studios, networks and publishers saw it as a go-to subject for making money and therefore didn't wring their hands as much about producing it.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Oh, I thought that was the Bronze Age ;)

I'm 49 :p

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

my sci-fi tv golden age was the late 90s... B5, DS9, VOY, EFC, Buffy, Herc/Xena (didn't watch em but they were around)...

8. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But is that the Golden age...or the Third Age?

9. Guy Gardener

By Sheridan's account, the third age is when we make our own SCI FI with mobile phone cameras and post it on youtube.

We have the tools.

Now, all we need is the will.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  10. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, this is the Golden Age of Television... even if when people list the best series of this era, it takes a long while to get it any sci-fi shows. I guess we'll eventually get a couple that are good - the praise Orphan Black gets suggests it's probably better than all three of these shows combined.

In the fifties, science fiction film was the purview of low budget B-movies, and sci-fi TV was stuff like Captain Video. Works like The Day The Earth Stood Still and Forbidden Planet were unusual, applying a pristine Hollywood style in the former and a glossy, expensive MGM look for the latter in a genre that didn't exactly get money thrown at it.

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been dutifully watching new stuff this year but the only thing currently on that has wowed me is Continuum which I am enjoying very much. Almost done with first season and looking forward to getting to getting to current airing of it before it finishes. It's all story arc! Tony Amendola! Time travel! The Future! Politics!

12. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

It is. :)

13. Guy Gardener

New shows, even new good shows don't have the same stickitudity which old shows had.

I'm still traumatized by the cancellation of Wonder Falls.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I think the only reason I'm watching Defiance is because it feels like a smaller lamer version of Babylon 5. It's about a bunch of unhappy alien races living together in a single location.

15. Guy Gardener

Grant Bowler played one of the most scariest devious thug Hillbillies ever in Outrageous Fortune but I haven't seen a lick of that animal cunning in Defiance or True Blood. There was this one point where he's under house arrest with an ankle monitor and the paper boy is menacing him beyond roaming range until the paper boy gets splatted by rapidly moving cricket ball.

Good times.

16. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Nah, that was the eighties and nineties.

Shoot. I'm 43. Hey there old-timer! :D

Oh my god, that IS it!!!! :guffaw:

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They actually just added that to Hulu in the US today. I watched the first 10 or 15 minutes of the first episode this morning. I liked what I saw so I will probably finish it tomorrow morning.

18. Guy Gardener

Outrageous Fortune is a Shakespeare quote. Every major character has the same name as a character from Shakespeare and every episode title is a quote from Shakespeare.

Which has nothing to do with the show itself, but still it's still kinda cool.

These people are the NZ equivalent of Beau and Luke Duke.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nifty. I did not know that. Although it does explain why the kids have a little more old fashioned names. I thought maybe that was just an NZ thing.

20. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Golden age of sci-fi was the 1950s.

Was gonna watch ONE of these shows so I guess it's gonna be Falling Skies as the other 2 look even blander. Will report back with thoughts.