(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still love the old Blatter 'classics', like making female players' shirts and shorts 'tighter' and making games more exciting by increasing the size of the goals..... :rolleyes:

Clearly, Sepp's never seen a game of women's football. If he had he certainly wouldn't be wanting tighter kit! :lol:

2. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With the large influx of foreigns player into the big 3 domestic leagues (England, Italy and Spain) I think it's no longer relevant to talk about the nationality of those particular clubs particularily as a source of pride. I mean Liverpool's best attacker is a Spaniard while Milan's best midfielder is a Braziliian. Arsenal is really a French club in North London while Inter is an Argentine one with a couple of Brazillians sprinkled about.

3. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

4. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If both Bremen and Hamburg advance today, they'll play each other four times in three weeks. :lol:
    (Bundesliga, UEFA and German Cup semi-finals)

5. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Funny. In one month's time, Arsenal play United twice in Champions League, once in the league, and possibly again in the FA Cup final if both teams go through.

They'll be sicker of each other than they already are.

6. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

That's true, but those clubs all retain a strong sense of identity, despite having a minority of English or Italian players. It's the fans that make the club, not the players. National pride probably is misplaced, but local pride remains as strong as ever.

Well do us a favour - roll over at Anfield, but beat them in all three (or four). We'll take the league, and Arsenal can have a cup double. :D

7. TheArsenal

Another way of posing one of those stats is English teams have reached the Finals five years running.

To a footballer who values that medal, it is becoming increasingly clear the safest bet to get to the finals, and therefore win, is through the English Big 4. The transfer market is a complex and chaotic thing; and big clubs outside of England like Madrid, Barcelona, Inter, will always have a good shot at their transfer targets. But teams right below that level, Bayern, Juve, etc., may lose a good player or two if the choice comes down to them or the Big 4. And so the cycle will continue.

8. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And it's happening. HSV vs Werder 4 times in 19 days. :guffaw:

9. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

10. TheArsenal

Wow. After such humiliation it's hard to see how he can even get out of bed in the morning.

11. Tomalak

One would have thought getting beaten 4-0, and playing Christopher Samba up front would have been embarrassing enough.

12. TheArsenal

Wow. Almost had a damn heart attack watching Arsenal Liverpool. And Andrey Arshavin, man what player. Worth every pound, dollar, ruble, euro or whatever currency was paid to bring him in.

13. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

H-O-LEE MOLEY that was a crackin match. Arshavin almost single handedly saved us there. I say almost because despite being under serious pressure for just about all of the game the lads never gave up. Nasri and Fabianski also put in astonishing shifts. Credit to Walcot for spotting Arshavin breaking.

If you'll excuse me I'm off to write an ode to Arshavin, what a way to mark Anfield '89.

14. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

I'm nominating it for game of the season. Absolutely incredible.

15. Tomalak

Unbelievable match. Liverpool dominant throughout, but Arshavin was on hand to put away all their chances. I just hope he can do it against Man United.

16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Dear Arsenal Football Club,

This is a regulation Association Football goal.

[​IMG]

The purpose of defending is to prevent the ball from entering the goal. The purpose of defending is not, however, to pass the ball straight to the opposition in dangerous positions.

Yours sincerely,

Hermiod

17. TheArsenal

Ha! :)

In fairness, over the last couple of outings, it was a make shift back 4 or 5 where a normally solid goal keeper lost his mind, a normally excellent right back cleared a ball that caused a goal, and a broken United cast off who is very short of games did about what I expected him to - play poorly.

18. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Roy Keane is the new manager of Ipswich.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I didn't see that coming! Be interesting to see how he does. Had a very positive effect on Sunderland at Championship level, and did keep them up their first year (but only having spent about £50million!) but didn't seem that comfortable this year.

20. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Southampton have been penalised for putting their holding company into administration and will definitely be playing in League One in August. I don't wish such things upon them, but this deduction had to happen to stop the whole system being a laughing stock again.

So only one relegation spot left for Barnsley, Forest, Norwich or Plymouth (at an outside chance) to fill.