Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Egads, $50 bucks for 4 episodes. Sniffle. Brings back memories of visiting Sam Goody's, and browsing the anime section, longing to buy VHS- then later discs containing 2 to 4 episodes, but couldn't due to insane prices. :wtf:
    Does rightstuf still have those huge catalogs listing all their...stuff?

2. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

$45 actually, but yeah that's Voyager's insane pricing for you and there would be shipping too it would end up being about $50 I suppose, you should look at what they charge for the older show's sets and movies. :cardie:

Maybe Rightstuf isn't able to discount their prices for Voyager, like they do for pretty much everyone else. Although, if you get their "Got Anime" card you can probably shave a few bucks off that (10% off each order or something).

Yeah, they still have catalogs, they send me one every few months. You can also order the catalog on the website.

As for me, whether or not I pay out to one of these companies that charges a kidney for their products depends on how much I liked the show. I have a few AniplexUSA releases and they're basically the same way if not worse. I also import the occasional Japanese anime movie or OVA on Blu-ray if it happens to have English subs and if it's something I don't think will be released here. That's not all that cheap either, a single movie on BD will run you like $65-70 to import.

Yamato 2199 would be one of those series I think would be worth owning personally, though if I do I'll probably go with the cheaper DVD option.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  3. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

If you want the series cheaper, go for the Star Blazers 2199 DVD release. It will be at least half the price of importing the Japanese Blu-ray that is already out from Bandai Visual off Amazon.jp. And probably a third to even a quarter of the price if you tried to get it off Amazon.com or eBay.

The release style is different though. In the US you get six discs to the Japanese seven. The Japanese released them like films with Chapter 1 being the first two episodes, followed by another chapter of four episodes each until the end of Chapter 7. The US release has them grouped as an episodec TV show. Four episodes per disc until the last disc (six) which will have six episodes on it. I don't know if that will hurt or help the narrative structure at all as I can sort of see how it work if each chapter ends in the middle episodes from Chapter 2 to Chapter 6.

US release:

(Spoiler-ish)

Disc one ends at Saturn.
    Disc two ends after the battle near the Red Star (Gliese 581).
    Disc three ends with them being attacked by the Wulf (might make for a good cliffhanger).
    Disc four end over Beeland (might be a nice resolution to the arc)
    Disc five ends with the Battle of the Rainbow Star Cluster (awesome episode)
    Disc six ends normally, but has six episodes.

Japanese release:

Disc one ends with Yamato's launch from Earth
    Disc two ends with the Battle over Pluto
    Disc three ends with the capture of a Gamilas pilot
    Disc four ends with a mental attack on Yamato
    Disc five ends with the Battle of Balun
    Disc Six ends with a cliffhanger at Gamilas
    Disc Seven ends normally.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  4. Ithekro

The new Yamato 2199 film is projected to release in Fall of 2014.

5. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

Any word on it's storyline?

6. Ithekro

No word. The promotional image on Yamato2199.net has Yamato on it heading towards the camera with a nebula or star cluster behind it. It is suppose to be a new story, not a rehash of the 26 episodes in a single film.

7. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Decided to go with the BDs on this series after all. I really hope one of these things comes with a series box.... *crosses fingers*

8. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd be more inclined to get the cheaper dvd's myself. It's just my opinion, but the high bitrate of BR while fine for live action film, just seems like overkill for 2D animation where theres only so much detail visible.

9. Ithekro

Star Blazers 2199 (volume One) is now avalble for sale in North America.

10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Just got mine delivered today. Been looking forward to this for 2 years...

11. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

In the U.S. version subtitles, are they using the Japanese names:

"Yamato"
    "Susumu Kodai"
    "Yuki Mori"

or is it the "Starblazers" names:

"Argo"
    "Derek Wildstar"
    "Nova"

??

(Just curious, as I already have the 7 Blu-Ray Disc set from japan, which have honestly well done English subtitles by the Japanese (but definitely translated by someone with a excellent working knowledge of the English language))

12. 137th Gebirg

The only Americanization of this version that I can tell so far is the Star Blazers title. All the character names are in the original Japanese.

Seen eps 1&2 already and they are bloody AMAZING, BTW.

Or as the kids say these days, cray-cray amaze-balls!

Now THIS is how you do a reboot.

13. Ithekro

Let us know how they handle the translations through to episode 4. Most of the regular words would have been used by then for comparison.

As far as I know they only changed the title, and everything else is just like Yamato 2199.

14. 137th Gebirg

I don't know Japanese so I don't know if the translations are absolutely dead-on but I can say with certainty that I can fully understand what's going on with the subtitling so far. There have been no "all you base" moments at all. Whoever they got to do them, they did a great job.

15. Ithekro

It is more a question on if any of the proper nouns seem different from what you think they would be from prior experiance.

16. 137th Gebirg

Well I did notice the old "space knots" from the original as a measure of speed has been changed to the more ambiguous "S-knots". They also mention "Cosmo Speed" as another unit of velocity, which I don't remember from before. I really like how the Gamilas have different names for our planets. Their names elude me, but they refer to Jupiter (Kubilli, I think) and Saturn differently than us, which makes total sense. Why would they use human names for worlds?

The wave engine and wave motion gun are all the same and Okita actually has an internal debate with himself over the gun's use - their primary mission being the preservation of earth and not of the complete destruction of Gamilas. The power of the gun really gave everyone pause when they wiped out the floating continent, since they were only aiming for the Gamilas base at its center.

The first warp scene is really good, and I liked the pilots playing darts during the warp. It's one of those things that I always liked about DS9 and NuBSG - predominantly Ron Moore's writing style, as well as Joss Whedon with Firefly and SHIELD, showing seemingly innocuous and generally unnecessary scenes of everyday life below decks with lesser characters to add flavor to the overall story quality. And I'm enjoying the initial tension between Kodai and Yuki. The whole story is brilliantly written so far.

I am amused at the Japanese use of an American trope, however. In the scene on Pluto where they find Kodai's brother's crashed ship, the Gamilas send robot people to go after the humans. IIRC, the American version of the original occasionally changed Gamilon soldiers into robots (or maybe it was the tank drivers from the Comet Empire - can't remember) so they didn't have our heroes killing other living beings every week, while the original Japanese had them as real people. In this version, we actually do see robots being used as soldiers controlled remotely.

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I enjoy how complex anime ships are depected. I'd love to see the artists do refit era Trek starships to see how elaborate they would be with them

18. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't imagine that they'd resub the series. Seems needless since the original subs were perfectly fine.

19. Ithekro

As far as anyone can tell, they just used the Yamato 2199 subs as they already exist.

20. 137th Gebirg

^^^ Which is awesome! I was highly concerned that they might retranslate some things for American audiences, and possibly "dumbing it down". Calling Yamato the Argo, using the American names like Wildstar, Nova, Avatar, etc. Very happy to see that was not the case, aside from the title heading in the beginning if the show.