arrrgh!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Jan 9, 2013.

1. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm so sorry to hear that :( But you two shouldn't give up hope yet. Medicine has made surprising progress in the last decades. Maybe they'll find a cure before it's too late.

2. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Wow, Smoothie, I'm really sorry. I know no words can ever be adequate, I just hope the remainder of your friend's life is as happy and free of suffering as is possible.

My argh moment today has to do with continuing medical tests. I had a nerve conduction test yesterday, which was by orders of magnitude the most horribly painful thing I've ever experienced. Worse than surgery, broken bones, nerve-impinging wisdom tooth roots, spine tattoos...just the worst. The test consisted first of about 15 minutes of mild electric shocks, which weren't bad at all. They were bizarre and uncomfortable, verging on painful, but it was interesting (especially being able to feel how the nerve branches and reaches so that a shock at one point in the calf would spread through to the toes). It was nothing I wouldn't do again for science...or a hundred bucks and a good bottle of wine.

The second half used needles. I don't have a problem with needles and I don't have a problem with the pain of being poked. I have four large tattoos, but more than that, I have type 1 diabetes, which means I've been poking my fingers and arms with needles at least 4 times a day, having lab blood drawn every three months, and giving myself insulin injections at least twice a day since I was twelve. The nerve conduction needles were like nothing I have ever experienced, though. I've had a lot of painful medical procedures done in the past and have been described by medical professionals doing painful tests as "stoic" on more than one occasion (actually, it's how I learned that word when I was a kid!). I completely lost it with this, though. The doctor got 2 needles in my right leg, which were very painful, but not something I couldn't handle, but the first one in my left leg was literally unbearable -- true, blinding, I can't think, just make it stop kind of pain.

It only lasted a few seconds (though it ached for a few hours afterwards), but I was so shaken that I couldn't go back to work afterwards. I walked home to try to cool off, and kept breaking into tears uncontrollably -- even 8 hours later, when I was trying to email my mother about the experience, I couldn't even compose the email without starting to cry. I've never reacted to pain like this before, even today, though I can talk about it without getting upset or crying, I feel worn out. I don't know why my left side was so hyper sensitive -- I was too overwhelmed to ask yesterday.

At least, in the words of the doctor (who was wonderful through all this, by the way) I "definitely do not have diabetic neuropathy."

Argh to fucking pain.

3. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^That sounds horrible! Have a hug... {{{{{TSQ}}}}}

4. rhubarbodendron

{{{{{{{TSQ}}}}}}}
    I think the doc must have hit the nerve directly with the needle. A one in a few hundred chance. Still, it shouldn't have happened.
    I think you are beginning to be unnerved by all these tests, quite propably close to a depression, and the horrible pain was the drop that made the bucket overflow. I know it's far easier said than done but try to relax and think positive. Get some comfort food and as much sleep and as many hugs as possible, talk with friends and rant as much as you can. It'll help you remaining sane.

5. thestrangequark

Thanks for the virtual hug. :) Unfortunately the point of the test was actually to hit the nerve directly with the needle -- it was a nerve-conduction test, after all! I was warned that it would be painful, and on the right leg it was indeed extremely painful, but I could at least handle it. On the left leg, though...

I think you're right that part of my bad reaction was due to there being a lot of tests lately, and then that one going so badly just threw me over the edge that day. Fortunately, I'm not experiencing depression, which is good, but I wouldn't blame myself if I was!

6. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

This is insignificant compared to thestrangequark, but I wish someone would create a cure for the common cold - or at least some way of suppressing the symptoms!

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Someone did. He called it "rest."

8. Tora Ziyal

^Yup. And the extra-strength dose is called "sleep".

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Is that the one in the blue bottle?

10. Tora Ziyal

That's it!

11. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

Not happy with that 'cure'. Who has time to take a week off work these days. I should become a doctor of science and cure the cold because everyone else seems to be dragging the chain.

12. thestrangequark

So, looks like I'm allergic to insulin, which sucks, being diabetic and all. But it's also okay, because I'm on a new insulin and so far things are looking good!

13. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

I'm so glad you have an alternative TSQ! I was afraid for a second when I read you first sentence!

I had to come home from work early. I had to have an unscheduled dental appointment this morning on a tooth that had a break in a previous repair. Unexpected filling, rebuild of broken area, and threat of a future root canal later...and I still went to work. Silly, silly me.

I hurt. :ouch:

edit to add that now I really, really hurt. Whimper.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  14. thestrangequark

Yeah, some diabetics have severe allergic reactions. Mine was only moderate, which was why it was so hard to figure out that that was what was wrong. Apparently there is an insulin desensitization program that people can go through in the rare case that they have allergic reactions to all analog insulins (even my allergy is very rare, as synthetic insulins are comparatively hypoallergenic compared to porcine and bovine varieties that used to be used).
    Oh, poor thing! Dental work is never fun!

15. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

^ No, it never is, and I've had far too much of it recently! An unexpected broken tooth does not help!

Anyway...I'll feel better as soon as the pain killers kick in.

Hey TSQ, would you mind if I PM you sometime regarding education and employment? It seems that we may have studied similar things, and I'd like to hear your perspective on a couple of things...

16. thestrangequark

17. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My contribution to this thread is a result of my uncle being back in the hospital. He had surgery back in 2000 for a back problem he'd had since his high school football days. The anesthesiologist fucked up and my uncle has been a paraplegic ever since. My cousin, born in '95 barely remembers him not being in a wheelchair. He's paralyzed, but since his spine is damaged but not broken, he still can feel...mostly pain. Lots of spasm and cramps. The immobility mixed with his pain meds has added a whole slew of issues on top of just being unable to move anything below his chest. He's suffering from congestive heart failure and has gone to the hospital for it several time and was once actually technically dead on the operating table until they were able to bring him back.

My aunt, who is probably the strongest person I know, is doing her best as his sole caretaker but we can see her beginning to crack, and we can't blame her. Luckily my mom is nearby and has seen the cracks forming and is now increasing her presence. My uncle is back in the hospital now though...after my aunt called 911 when he started being incredibly incoherent and at times unresponsive. It wasn't as bad as the times she's been unable to wake him in the morning but still scary. It ws later found out that he was over-medicated...mostly because he was popping an extra pill of oxy from a secret stash. The only bright point is that it gives her at least a couple night of full rest, as she gets up every morning around 2am to turn him over to avoid bed sores.

Anyway, I just had to get that out. I talk to my wife about it but sometimes typing this stuff out helps too.

18. Tora Ziyal

^I agree, writing can be very helpful.

I have a question, coming from my own experience with nerve damage and muscle spasms after my spinal surgery: is your uncle getting physical therapy? I realize that he can't do exercises on his own, but a physical therapist moving and stretching his legs might be very helpful. My PT helped my muscles spasms far more than meds ever did. Just a thought.

Edited to add this article about physical rehabilitation that showed up online this morning. Fascinating! And cool timing.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  19. rhubarbodendron

Flux, does your uncle like apricots? If so, get him to eat lots of dried apricots (untreated ones, preferably: the brown ones. The brightly orange coloured ones are treated with sulphur which causes flatulence). Apricots have lots of Magnesium and in dried ones the concentration is even higher. Mg helps against cramps and organically bound Mg is easier to take up for the body than the anorganic stuff in pills.

Also, a diet rich in vitamin B helps the nerve tissue to recover.
    I know it's an idiotic example, but we once had a dog who suffered a severe brain injury before birth and had cramps and spasms (his mother had fallen down the stairs, 2 days before the puppies were born). The vet treated him with high doses of vitamin B and within a few weeks the little chap was almost completely healed. Of course a young organism heals faster but it might still be worth a try.

Also, your uncle being in hospital might be a good chance to raid his room for hidden pills.

20. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, when he was doing better he had a physical therapist come to the house and worked with him a lot. Lately, though, from what I understand his condition doesn't allow him much of that anymore.

Yeah, the hidden pills are taken care of. He's still in the hospital and I believe they're looking alternatives to the oxy. I'll let my aunt know about the apricots, thanks for that.