DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Re: the ending of Green Lantern #3...
    that was just the way they portray someone being transported into the Anti-Matter Universe. He's just going to Qward.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really? I was under the impression that it was considered one of the best stories, along with Year One. Should I just skip ahead to Knightfall?

3. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

You should read it. It's pretty important in the character arc of Batman along with Knightfall/No Man's Land/Identity Crisis/Red Hood/Killing Joke.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Death in the Family is an okay story but the reason why it is so well known is because it is notorious for the phone in kill Robin thing. People hated Jason Todd so much at the time that they actually phoned in (American Idol style) and killed him.

5. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, that part's actually pretty great.

Well, if you want it, you want it. I think I was a little unfair when I said terrible. I should just say it has some pretty unbelievable aspects.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I will go ahead and read it. I want to try to read as many of the big stories I can find on Comixology.

7. Admiral_Young

I loved the scene in the Batman: Under the Red Hood adaptation that went back to it. I thought it was really well done.

8. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I went light on my 52 purchases this week:

Batman & Robin: This arc is continuing to get better. I like the focus Morgan and the League of Assassins angle. I also like the focus on Damian. When the series started I was real skeptical about the Bruce/Damian partnership. I perferred, still prefer, Dick and Damian. I also thought the artwork was pretty good. Really liked the fight scenes between Batman and Morgan.

Green Lantern: Another solid issue. Johns definitely knows how to write Hal and Sinestro's interactions. The artwork also remained top notch, and I'm very interested in seeing what the Guardians' third attempt at creating a corps will look like. I hope it isn't just another corps with a different hue.

Mr. Terrific: There was a big revelation in this issue that I wasn't expecting, but I wish they had executed it a little better. I also wish that Brainstorm had been designed different. The concept isn't bad and he has the potential to be a major Mr. Terrific villain, though I wish he had been designed to be more like STAS Brainiac, Skynet, or Archos (from that novel Robopacalypse). I think the artwork is a big improvement over the first two issues. I hope they keep this artist.

Suicide Squad: Another fast paced, hard hitting issue. We get some face time with Black Spider and the hint of a Deadshot/Harlequin pairing. I think it's interesting that Diablo (?) is basically a good guy but trapped on this team, and Black Spider might also be more decent than he's letting on. My critique is that they didn't do enough with Mad Dog. The book moved a bit too quickly and gave the bad guy short shrift. Also I don't think they need to take out a member every issue. The first two times that was cool and unexpected, but now they are advertising that someone is going to be taken out. I want them to stop doing that or a while and let the team gel.

9. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I reread Death in the Family a couple years ago and it wasn't as good as I remembered. I still think it's a classic story though. The first half is still great, and very tragic. The second half is where it falls apart. They just didn't know how to end it. Maybe if they had just stopped with that iconic picture of Batman holding Jason, and let the rest play out in the comics that might have been better.

I hated the idea of bringing Jason back, but damn if Judd Winick didn't do such a good job with him that Jason has become one of my favorite parts of the modern Batman mythos. I liked the Lost Days (?) mini that Winick wrote, his take on Batman in Battle for the Cowl, Todd's appearance in the first arc of Batman & Robin. I was hoping that Todd and Damian would take over as Batman and Robin for a little while, but it wasn't meant to be. That being said, not feeling the Outlaws book. The artwork is okay, but I don't like the set up. The team could use more members too.

10. Admiral_Young

You know I'm starting to think if Morgan and the League aren't connected to Leviathan. I have long speculated that Ra's is Leviathan.

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I read Demon Knights #3 last night.
    Xanadu's fate appears murky as a protection spell she cast has drained her of her life energy. I'd be concerned if it hadn't been shown she's alive and well in modern day nuDCU already. Savage has a much more robust attitude. He almost feels like Volstaag in this incarnation. The issue ends on a bit of a sad note and I'm curious how it concludes after 'x' character was encouraged to do what led to their death.

12. Admiral_Young

^ Dude, you know it's okay to post spoilers in here right? The thread title welcomes them even :)

13. Hound of UIster

I think all the characters in Demon Knights are meant to resemble DnD archetypes. I wonder if Cornell is going to continue with it or will he start breaking the cliches with later stories?

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Green Lantern's finally getting interesting.

I'm trying not to get bogged down in minutiae such as Sinestro being able to create and give someone a power ring or why the one he took over from Jordan now looks nothing like it used to when Jordan wore it. I probably just missed something somewhere.

It looks like Blake Lively is the current model for Carol, except that the comic version still has that blue-black hair.

15. Hound of UIster

I preferred how Mahnke drew her before the reboot.

16. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's long been a staple of the GL rings to be able to create temporary duplicates for others to use.

I'm not sure when this was first revealed. I never read it, but 1964's Green Lantern #31, had a story called "Power Rings for Sale," which might have been an early use of the power, as Hal gave out power rings to regular citizens.

In the late 90's, due to a time travelling Hal Jordan (from early in his career), Kyle Rayner ended up with a duplicate of Hal's ring, which could create duplicates of itself. He gave one to Jade and took off to space to create his own Green Lantern Corps. It did not end well.

In Mark Waid's The Brave and the Bold follow-up to JLA: Year One, Wally West temporarily lost his speed powers, but was given a copy of the ring to become Kid Lantern. Wally regained his powers and decided to remain Barry's sidekick, giving up the ring.

Also, in the earlier 90's, John Stewart was on Oa, as the protector of various alien cities that were brought there by a mad Guardian and kept there by the Guardians after banishing the mad Guardian to try an experiment to see how various races thrown together could learn to get along. Anyway, on one of the Earth towns, the adults basically gave up and decided to act irresponsibly, leaving the kids to sneak out and try to make the best of this situation. John found the kids and gave each of them copies of his ring with limited powers.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Right.

And in issue #3 Sinestro tells Jordan that in exchange for his help on Korugar, "You get to keep the ring," after he remarks that if Hal went to the Guardians they'd "strip him of it."

Where's the "temporary?"

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

19. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haven't read that...yet. But, it also strikes me that John and Guy's rings were made from Kyle's ring (John's ring, if I recall, was the duplicate of the time-lost Hal Jordan, which was the original duplicate he made from that ring for Jade, while Guy's was created during Rebirth).

Hell, if I recall, Hal's ring from Rebirth through "War of the Green Lanterns" was also a duplicate of Kyle's.

20. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I'm pretty sure Guy's was a duplicate of Hal's and Hal has his own ring. I was just reading back through Rebirth and Ollie had a GL Ring that was given to him by Hal and when he went to the Watchtower, Guy made a copy of his ring. And Hal definitely got the ring that Ollie had on his finger.