Star Trek-TMP Directors Edition NOT on Blu-Ray!!!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by marknetprod, Nov 16, 2008.

1. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Well, not entirely. Seamless branching relies on the movie being pretty much identical from one version to the next. If there isn't a lot of overlap, it isn't worth doing. So while they could do seamless branching for the theatrical version and the extended version (since the only difference is the presence or absence of those few scenes), it'd be much more difficult to do so with the DE, considering the number of trims, rearranged shots, new visual effects and, most challengingly, the almost entirely new audio mix. There's just nothing left that's 100% identical to the theatrical version. So they could do what Blade Runner did, with the DE being on one disc and the two prior versions being branched on another, but they couldn't put all three on the same disc.

As I recall, the reason the DE was delayed from the beginning of 2001 to the end of 2001 was that all the special features had to be redone, since they weren't masturbatory enough and needed to be whitewashed. So I doubt it.

2. ScottDS

ScottDS Captain Captain

That's what I was hoping they would do. And you're right - I didn't read the original poster's message in its entirety. They couldn't branch all three on one disc.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  3. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. The director's edition seemed to go the route of the more subdued klaxons of the DS9/Voyager/Enterprise era. I much prefer the more in-your-face approach of TOS/TMP/TNG.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Certainly, there was a reunion group interview filmed with David Gerrold and numerous fan extras from the rec deck scene. It will be part of the new bonus features material.

5. destructive

destructive Commander Red Shirt

thank you paramount, I've never liked the director's edition

6. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's great news and awful news all at the same time. I like the DE, I just miss the original. My biggest disappointment was the sound overhaul. It needed one, just not the one it got.

Did they ever do the DE FX in HD? My gathering was that they did not.

7. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

No, they didn't, otherwise we'd probably either be getting just the DE or a set with both versions.

8. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

There was something downright scary/serious about the original enterprise voice.

Love that!

9. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

That voice says "crap is happening! pay attention!" the voice in the DE sounds like "there is no parking in the white zone"

10. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Don't start up with your "White Zone" sh*t again!

Neil

11. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh really, Vernon? Why pretend, we both know perfectly well what this is about.

12. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Uh...Guys? What?

13. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

^^^They're quoting the "white zone" announcements from the opening of "Airplane!"

14. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

Shame on anyone who doesn't know the white zone/red zone discussion.

15. Maurice

Yes, but can you tell me where Airplane got it from?

16. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

Was it Zero Hour like 90% of the rest of the movie?

17. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Thanks. ^^

18. JDF

JDF Captain Captain

I'm not as harsh on the DE as TGT is, and never was. But, I do still prefer the theatrical cut.

In fact, I pulled out the old laserdisc of the widescreen theatrical cut recently when I was able to finally hook up the ol' Pioneer LD player to the Sony LCD (the TV cabinet we bought 2 years ago was too shallow and it was only a couple weeks back that I finally got around to cutting out the back to fit the monster in).

I don't have a Blu-ray player yet, but intend on getting one by Christmas.

I'm glad they are giving us the TC first in HD. The LD is really fuzzy. And, as time has gone by, there are only a few edits in the DE that I still like -mainly the additional (and relevant) dialog. What they cut, I was never happy about. The new sound effects, I didn't like a lot of. The new visual effects I could take or leave. The new "animated" V'ger bridge though always bothered me and never bought the idea of trying to copy the look of "traditional cel animation" by double-framing it. Truth is, for a movie like this, it never would have been traditional double-frame cel animation. They would have single-frame shot it like even Disney has always done with key scenes in their own theatrical animations.

19. Maurice

Nope. I believe it's taken from the novel Airport by Arthur Hailey.

You're correct about that. The correct term is "shooting on twos", and that's for animated films, not for animated effects overlain on live action which is by definition shot on ones.

20. GodThingFormerly

GodThingFormerly A Different Kind of Asshole

An "American" in Friedrichshafen, Deutschland
    Hiya, JDF. :) Robert Swarthe did an absolutely masterful animation job for ST:TMP's wormhole live-action and V'ger transcendence sequences (see Cinefex #11 for details). That Swarthe would have suddenly got lazy for the Voyager 6 Island "bridge building" effects - as that bloated hack Dochterman asserted - is a rather disgusting professional insult to a brilliant artist.

TGT