Sonic: Lost World

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kemaiku, May 29, 2013.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

As part of an exclusive three game deal, Sega is bringing the next main series Sonic game out on the Wii U and 3DS later this year.

The debut trailer came out today:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-sIkDWfccU[/yt]

Fans are calling the gameplay similar to Mario Galaxy series, but it looks like it might actually be based on Sonic X-Treme, the cancelled Saturn game they wanted to 'eventually' bring out.

At the start of the game we see the Flickie's, unseen since Sonic sent them all home in the Saturns only main game Sonic 3D.

Which seems to be how Sega are dealing with the problem of Generations finally removing Robotnic as the villain, the planet shown could well be the Flickie homeworld, in their dimension.

The Saturn era is pretty neglected so combining two titles from the console for a new main game could be interesting. It looks unique enough from the modern trilogy to give it a good chance to stand on it's own.

Being Nintendo exclusive and trying out new looks and moves made Colours one of best in the franchise for years so I'm hoping Lost World is going to be at least as good.

2. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, it reminds me quite a bit of Sonic X-Treme too. They've ditched the fish-eye camera for obvious reasons, but it has the same feel. Twenty years late, but better than never.

I think I'll definitely be picking up a Wii U later this year.

3. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's no need for the spoiler warning; Anyone who thought Robotnik was dead is naïve. It's been confirmed that Robotnik's in this one and it sounds like he's teaming up with Sonic to beat the six bad guys in the story.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I haven't played a Sonic game since Sonic and Knuckles. This one doesn't really look all that interesting to me.

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Well, Sonic Adventure was pretty great, and even Sonic Adventure 2 had some nice bright spots, but ... yeah, this isn't a terrible life choice. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is pretty much a perfect 2D platformer and one of the finest games of that generation, right alongside Super Mario World.

6. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't played them yet, but apparently Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations are supposed to be pretty awesome. Fans seem to consider those games to be Sonic's return to form after his dark days.

Also, Sonic 2 > Sonic 3.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Obviously.

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Colours is a vast improvement and the highlight of the franchise since the Megadrive days.

Generations has a lot of nice touches, solid gameplay and good renditions of old maps. But it lacks something to make the whole thing work quite right.

So right now everyone is just hoping this turns out more like Colours, which is looks to be doing.

As for Sonic 3, they really should have just waited another few months and had the full Sonic 3 and Knuckles version with everything ironed out. Then again Sonic 2 has it's fair share of bad ideas and poor gameplay.

The Robotnik thing was for anyone who hadn't played Generations yet, and as of writing the first post his part in this game hadn't been publicised, not on any of the Sega or Sonic websites I'd been to as of Thursday anyway. They better have a pretty good explanation of how he escaped the White Zone then.

9. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, yeah. That makes sense. Sorry if I came off as overly critical.

On the subject of Post Sonic 3 and Knuckles games, I personally found the Sonic Rush games on the DS to be quite satisfying; I actually rank the second Rush game as one of my all time favorite Sonic titles. I was also okay with Sonic Advance 3 for the GameBoy Advance. It's overall quality wasn't quite as high as the classics but I appreciated it's partner system.

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Sonic Rush is a guilty favourite of mine, but it feels too short and unfinished. I'd love a higher res, expanded edition for the 3DS in 2015, its tenth anniversary, but I doubt Sega will do it.

I've barely played the Advance trilogy, I finished the first and played through a good bit of the second, but something about SA3 just kept putting me off, its reputation isn't that great in the fandom.

The problem is that from the screenshots we have of Lost World on the 3DS it looks like it's been built off of the Generations engine. Generations for the 3DS was very short, linear and disappointing, but I'm not getting a Wii U, so I'm stuck with that version.