Jimmy Savile

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Starkers, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/oct/14/dominic-carman-jimmy-savile-and-my-father
    I do wonder why a paper never went after him, the way they go after footballers latest shag.

2. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

^The tabloids are cowards and hypocrites for self-righteously going after the BBC as an institution even though there were people inside the BBC who should've known better about employing a dangerous conman and predator like Savile.

Now looking at this infamous Louis Theroux documentary from way back in 2000 and with the benefit of hindsight, I find it a fucking chilling watch (somewhat NSFW with some bad language): :eek:

When Louis Theroux Met Jimmy Savile

Aside from the two notable segments where Jimmy Savile's mask was obviously slipping at the 22:30 and 44:00 mark (with real WTF incriminating remarks) there were also many other things that were really off about the guy: his extreme self-aggrandizement, subtle threatening, and domineering personality (he somehow got Louis Theroux's address without permission, rudely woke up Louis Theroux too early in the morning, and speaking abrubtly to some hospital employee over the phone). Then there's the packet of condoms for a cruise, his two extremely sinister/odd looking minions he depended on (Jim the Pill at 12:20 and Antony at 36:30), and of course a tour around his preserved apartment that he used to live in with his mother (at 26:00).

Surely none of you don't hear Bernard Herrmann music when you see Savile dote over his dead mother's photos and other effects? He had a pathological bond with his dead mother, so he was incapable of forming any meaningful relationship with mature women, becoming a abusive sexual predator towards underaged girls instead.

He seemed to be a sociopath:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Funnily enough I realised yesterday that I still have a Louis Theroux box setv featuring When Louis met Jimmy. I'm debating whether or not I want to watch it...

4. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I think it's on Netflix and I was wondering the same thing.

5. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

I fixed the link to the infamous documentary.

And yeah, the passive-aggressive meeting with Jimmy Savile by Louis Theroux was uncomfortable viewing even before stories of Savile's misdeeds were mostly confirmed in recent weeks. I think Louis Theroux should be knighted instead of Savile, the malfunctioning piece of fuck that he was!

Not long after the 14 minute mark of that documentary watch out for John Prescott and see how he coldy shuns Jimbo after seemigly giving an irritated expression. :guffaw:

But on a more serious note I guess his affably clownish persona (that couldn't be taken seriously) was a good enough cover to throw off the prideful people running the BBC and Broadmoor at the time who must've underestimated how dangerous he really was...

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^I think that's it, I think a lot of people just thought he was eccentric, and I think a lot of people were blinded by the work he did for charity as well. I wonder, was the charitable work a cover for what he did, or guilt manifesting itself? Probably the former but we'll never know, probably he liked to be lionised, liked to be the centre of attention and maybe got a kick out of being thought of as a saint.

Now Labour are calling for a national enquiry. I dunno, I'm getting kind of tired of us having an enquiry into everything; Bloody Sunday, Hillsborough, Malaya etc. I'm not saying mistakes shouldn't be investigated, lessons learned etc I'm just tired of it as a default setting every time something happens.

7. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

The police are working on it and the BBC are investigating. Labour should have held their tongues and waited to see what the current investigations conclude.

8. Bob The Skutter

Well if it's true that some of these events were reported and the police did nothing then that should be investigated. If it's true that he was given keys to locked ward that should also be investigated, just on the grounds that these things could and probably still do happen and need to be prevented in the future. But basically it amounts to this eccentric millionaire who raised money for charity and was a celeb who kids might like to see got access because people thought he might bring happiness to kids while in hospital. As wrong as that might be people probably thought they were doing a good thing, rather than assumed they were turning a blind eye to child abuse.

9. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

One horrific thing about this (one of many horrific things, granted) is how it's being turned into a political stick for the right wing press to beat the BBC and the NHS with. Those bastards didn't go after him for the same reason that it took 40 years to come out properly. Everyone knew the rumours, nobody had evidence. You can't just call someone out as a sex offender, especially not a "national treasure" (read: "armed to the teeth with lawyers"), unless you know damn well you can prove it.

They know it. They've practically admitted it. That they have the temerity to call the kettle black is fucking absurd.

10. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps the biggest question of all is(if you accept that everyone knew)is why they gave him a childrens show like "Jim'll fix it".

Chilling viewing on the re-run of HIGNFY last night when in a replayed clip of a previous Savile appearance,Ian Hislop asks Savile what he does in his "mobile home/caravan.
    "Anyone I can."Savile replies deadpan.
    *Shiver*

11. Bob The Skutter

As Ian Hislop said, no one knew. People had heard rumours, there was gossip but no one actually knew, and if they did then they need to be questioned and brought up on charges.

12. flandry84

I know that there can be areas of life in which to be circumspect and that the idea that a man should not be prosecuted(or persecuted)by rumour.But fuck,a childrens show of all things!

13. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a very good point....if people knew, and it seems from what we were hearing it was common knowledge around the BBC for many many years, what he was doing, then they must have known the consequences of allowing him to host so many childrens shows.

Scary stuff indeed.

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

But there's a difference between knowing and rumours. Clearly some people knew for sure, and they need to account for themselves, but for a lot of people they were just rumours.

I mean there are rumours that Jeremy Renner, Tom Cruise, Hugh Jackman and John Travolta are gay, but until somone steps forward with cast iron facts they remain just that, rumours.

I do find it curious that the media didn't go after him if there was a smidgen of a story there, it isn't like they haven't gone after high profile/ wealthy people before. Whether it's because his charity work somehow shielded him I don't know.

15. Deckerd

They should stop calling him a paedophile. I've said it before but it bears repeating. Someone who's interested in post-pubescent girls is not a paedophile.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that he is a sexual predator seems obvious, give what we've heard, but there's less evidence that he was a paedophile as such,although I see some bloke's sold his story to the Sun about how Jimmy molested him when he was 9 and went on Jim'll Fix It, and there was some chatter about a boy in one of the care homes. Also a couple of the girls mentioned may have been prepubescent, one was 12 I believe.

It did srike me as odd that he'd mess with young boys given his predaliction was for teenage girls, but I don't know enough about the mind of a sexual predator to know if that kind of thing would be "normal" behaviour.

I'd be very surprised if a minority of those coming out now aren't fakes jumping on the bandwagon :(

17. Deckerd

I think someone who sold his story to the Sun is definitely taking the piss. As far as the police stats go, he wasn't interested in boys at all.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

That certainly seems to be what the evidence suggests.

19. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

As this goes on it will be intresting to see to what extent this was being reported and ingnored by TPTB in the BBC, NHS and the police... .....and possibly we will find out why they all seemed to have allowed Savile to operate with immunity for so long.......that part i cant figure out.

Scary stuff to say the least.

20. flandry84

I can't let you go with bringing up the gay rumours about those actors you named.
    What we are discussing is a different matter entirely.Entirely.