Thoughts on Season 3

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by dub, Sep 14, 2013.

1. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

but it was only a loss for him, the others were just holograms and he knew that.

I've lost people very close to me, and when that happened my first thougths were not oh how can I support my family, but my first thoughts were of my own grief over the loss. Once I dealt with my own feelings I could be supportive to other people. Maybe that makes me a selfish A-hole, but everyone deals with loss their own way.

2. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

But the Doc's whole schtick was about how holograms were just like people.

As for your extrapolation to insinuate that I'm calling you a "selfish A-hole"...

I'm not. I am describing my impression of the episode and what it showed me about the Doctor. It's not personal.

I'm an oddity. While I think Picardo did an awesome job, I simply didn't *like* the Doctor. He was a great character, but not a likeable one IMO. Which is fine in my book because the unlikeable characters are usually more interesting.

3. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

yeah, and PEOPLE deal with grief in their own way, some turn inward some cling to others. I wouldn't call anyone selfish for however they grieve. If they need to take care of themselves first I don't think that makes them selfish

Edit: the unlikeableness of the doctor...while I did like him, wasn't he supposed to be unlikeable? isn't that why starfleet trashed his line? ;)

4. teya

He *never* (that we saw) took care of the rest of his family. The program was over once he played out the scenario & did his own grieving. He didn't take it the rest of the way, that yes, all of us people eventually, one way or another, get around to. We turn to each other. We take care of each other.

5. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

well considering that the episode ends with the Doc in a very tight hug with his wife and son, I assume they did take care of each other, even though it wasn't specifically spelled out for us

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then why was he so keen on going after Seven if he still was taking care of his family?

7. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

there was a lot of time inbetween loosing his daughter and realizing he had romantic feelings for Seven. Having jus rewatched the whole show, he starts really having feelings for Seven in Someone to Watch Over Me, 5 episodes before the end of season 5. Real Life was in season 3. Lots of time in between

8. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just watched "The Darkling." I was impressed with the incredible acting range shown by Robert Picardo. I thought Kes breaking up with Neelix in an earlier episode was really the alien presence and not actually Kes, but I guess I was way wrong about that one. Odd how Neelix wasn't shown with his usual jealousy here (not complaining though). And I very much enjoyed Paul Baillargeon's refreshing score for this episode. I'd purchase any CD collection with some pieces from this episode.

9. R. Star

Well that would seem to indicate to me, that he dropped it later on, even a couple years later, likely sooner than that however, that it was just a holodeck program he was using for his own form of recreation rather than the actual family he was pitching it as during the episode.

Darkling was an odd episode. Silly concept, but great acting on Picardo's part. He's really one of the best actors to grace the whole franchise. Nice to see Kes moving on after Neelix though.

10. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

well whether or not he dropped it later, he got what he wanted out of it, and we don't know how long he kept up with it. and I don't see how persuing seven meant he had to abandon his family

11. R. Star

So you would have no problem with your husband introducing you to his holographic wife when you were dating him? ;)

12. teya

No wonder Seven wasn't interested! :guffaw:

Wish I'd thought of that when I was writing fanfic. ;)

13. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

if he was still involved with the family once he started having feelings for seven I would imagine at that point he dropped it.

14. teya

Ah, dropped the wife for a younger model... Nice guy!

15. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

yeah, becaus that never happens in real life

assuming he was still with that family by this time, it would be the right thing to do to end his current relationship before persuing another. though the doctor never actually persued seven

16. R. Star

Well cynically speaking the episode was titled Real Life. ;)

He did ask Seven on a date in Someone to Watch Over Me. He bungled it sure, but that does qualify as pursuing. The only reason he didn't tell her how he felt was because she preemptively shot the entire male gender down.

17. teya

Well, of course it happens in real life.

And in real life, I think that guys who dump their wives for the younger model are selfish pigs. So it coincides with my opinion of the doctor.

Seven was wise. :)

ETA: I also think there's a special circle of hell reserved for men who dump their kids along with their wives. That could just be me, though.

18. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I don't think that was persuing, I think he was her date so she wouldn't feel bad about her previous failed date. It didn't seem romantic to me

19. teya

No, Tom pointed out that the doctor was smitten with his pupil.

The whole holo-fantasy about the roses, etc made that abundantly clear.

20. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

yes, as I said before this is the episode in which he clearly develops romantic feelings for her.

this specific date didn't have a romantic feeling to me, he didn't invite her to be romantic, he invited her as a friend