Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by TrekToday, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Not really, I can wait. Mind you, I don't have a surround sound system anyway, and I didn't notice the FX cock-ups.

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Amazon just put this up on their TNG season one Blu-ray page. I wouldn't expect the product to be back up to order until a few weeks from now.

3. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

FWIW, Tesco in the UK just shipped me a free complete replacement set today out of the blue. I emailed them about the issue about a month ago and got a standard "If your item is defective please send it in and we will issue a replacement" email so I just didn't bother and expected nothing. Lo and behold, this morning I woke up to a parcel through the mailbox with a complete set (with the red delta on the spine) for free!

So, Tesco in the UK are also honoring the replacement scheme.

4. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly the same happened to me from the same retailer, only took me ten phone calls to lots of different people!

Now about the lip sync... anyone else think it is a bit off on the replacement discs?

5. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I guess I have you to thank then, USS KG5! :p

As for my replacements, I had a quick run through on 11001001, Heart of Glory and The Neutral Zone. Audio was fixed on 11001001, the phaser shot was fixed on Heart of Glory but the cryosleep station shot from the opening of The Neutral Zone is still about 20 pixels up from the bottom of the screen, so it cuts off short of the bottom and you can see stars below it.

6. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

This may be a dumb question, but if I only have two speakers and I set to the 7.1 instead of the stereo, will I be loosing so much of the sound on the 7.1 that it's worth it for me to just keep it on the overall lower quality stereo mix?

7. csewell

csewell Cadet Newbie

Received mine today in Vancouver, BC.

8. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

In my opinion, no. The bitrate of the DD 2.0 track is only 192kbps. The HDMI handshake with your TV (I'm assuming you're connected via HDMI to a TV with two speakers) tells the Blu-ray player's decoder to take the 7.1 DTS-HD MA track and output stereo LPCM (i.e. uncompressed) when the TV's EDID (Extended display identification data) shows it to have a 2-channel audio sink profile.

So, to boil it down... it's best to choose the highest quality audio available and let the player decide how to handle it based on what it's connected to.

9. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I find this ironic, since this is the exact shot they used when mentioning why they couldn't make the models work in widescreen due to the cut off edges of the models

10. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for responding to my query :)

11. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Thanks Max. I didn't realize the hdmi would automatically decode what speaker setup I have. I have exactly what you described.
    :bolian:

12. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

I was just about to ask if anyone had gotten their discs yet. I did mine fairly early, but didn't hear a thing back from them. So I guess I should expect them soonish.

I also sent the same e-mail address an additional e-mail telling them about audio problems I encountered on discs 6 and 7. Have not heard a word about that. I wish they were a bit better about telling us when to expect this stuff. This is like the time I ordered a whole bunch of comics off e-bay, forgot about them, then 6 months later they arrived on a rainsoaked night with no indication of why they had taken 6 months!

13. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There was no Disc 7... :vulcan:

14. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally received my replacement Blu Ray set from Amazon UK. It took them awhile, but with this kind of service I'm not complaining.

15. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Actually you will have audio problems because, and it doesn't matter what the bit rate is, the audio in a 7.1 mix has not been mixed properly for a 2.0 stereo playback. One thing too remember with 5.1 or 7.1 or higher is that each channel is a mono channel (even stereo is 2 synchronized mono channels), so unlike a 2.0 mix, when your Blu-ray/DVD player is downconverting to 2.0 you will loose any pans and sweeps across the sound field, unless they are on the original front left and front right channel. Even voices may appear to be not fully there because the player is trying to do its own mix into the two front channels from the other 3 or 5 channels.

16. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Whoops.... I meant 5 and 6. Confusing my SD TNG DVDs with HD TNG BRDs.

17. Maxwell Everett

I've not heard any problems thus far (now that the 7.1 audio channel mapping has been corrected). I sometimes watch an episode in my kitchen in PCM 2.0 via an HDMI switcher connected to my Blu-ray player in my main viewing room which splits the signal.

In fact, the exact parameters for the downmix are set by the person encoding the audio in the DTS-HD Master Audio Suite software -- so it has been mixed properly for 2.0. The Blu-ray player just blindly follows those parameters. You can read more about it in the manual here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/17630423/43/Downmix-to-2-0

18. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I've mixed multi-channel audio in the past, and I have not heard of that, and I just looked at that document. No where does it say that in the same stream you can do both a multi- and stereo-channel mix. It does mention sub-channels, but so far those haven't been standardized for Blu-Ray.

But listening to a 2.0 PCM downmix of a multi-channel source on a consumer Blu-Ray or DVD player is just like listening to that source via analog RCA jacks.

You will loose information because the machine will not mix the audio as a human would mix it for true stereo.

19. Maxwell Everett

Again, a human being (not a machine) sets the parameters for the eventual downmix... that metadata is read by the player and it sends the predetermined 2.0 downmix to the TV. To quote the manual:

The quality of the audio sent over analog RCA jacks depends, of course, on the quality of the digital-to-analog converter in the player. I agree that it certainly can sound just as good over analog cables... but then again, I never said it couldn't. :)

20. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

Anyone in the Cleveland area get replacements yet? I called way back when they first started the recall and have yet to recieve anything.