The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I actually saw these last week in an open case at my local neighborhood Walmart. If I was a Batman fan, I might have snagged one...

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Those are the best Batman toys I've probably seen outside of a Sideshow Collectibles/Hot Toys situation. They even nailed Christian Bale's chin, and the Alfred's resemblance to Michael Caine is pretty eerie.

Bane kind of reminds me of Darth Malgus from the STAR WARS action figure line with the breathing mask and bald head. I guess this is your chance to buy a bald villain with a breath mask if you couldn't find Malgus...which would be about 95% of the population, I believe. :p

3. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here is the rest of my Dunny collection.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. cooleddie74

Those look pretty nice and snazzy, man!

5. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

My sister has some really cool ones.

6. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I'm gonna say it's highly unlikely they would think Skeletor. How many kids these days would even know who Skeletor is? :lol:

7. cooleddie74

Wait.

Good point. :lol:

I'm stuck in the eighties.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tru really doesn't pay attention to street dates. They basically release the figures when they get their stock in. Which is usually why the in demand figures get sold out quickly. Tru Canada sucks because of this.

The comic shop had the rest of the "Batman Inc" line (Grant Morrison's current story arc in his Batman run) but not Robin. Tru was sold out of Big Time Spidey and Future Foundation Spidey. I went to a couple comic shops but the owners said they're shipments sold out almost immediately after getting them lol.

9. cooleddie74

My TRU holds to street dates...to a point. When the Episode I 3-D landslide of merchandise hit four months ago(wow, has it really been that long already?) the store held to the date until a little over a week before it hit, then went ahead and put up all the in-store displays and peg walls and stocked everything. You could snag almost all of the figures and other toys you wanted at least a week before the "mandatory" Hasbro street date while Walmarts, Targets and K-Marts still tended more often than not to balk and not put anything out until the 30th or just a day or two beforehand. More often than not if there's an official date for a line to be released TRU will be the first to break it.

10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

those Dark Knight Rises toys look great. might actually get those. can't remember the last time i actually bought any movie tie in figures. i saw the latest wave of Batman Legacy figures. Silver Age/Pre-Crisis Catwoman looks great. gonna try to pick her up tonight.

11. OdoWanKenobi

^I bought all of those. They're pretty stellar. I really wish Catwoman had her whip, though.

For once, here's a Hot Toys preview that doesn't have me leaping with excitement:
    [​IMG]

12. cooleddie74

^
    DANG, BRO. Kind of agree with you there. Not one of their best offerings.

I'm investing in Hot Toys, though! I should have gone ahead and said "Hell, Yeah" after seeing your Bruce Lee figures, but I'm an intensely stubborn bastard!

13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

That looks absolutely amazing (no pun intended). If I had enough cash to justify getting one I would :)

15. OdoWanKenobi

Oh, don't get me wrong. That Spider-Man is still sure to be better than 99.99% of collectibles out there. I think it's just my general lack of enthusiasm for the suit redesign, plus my lack of enthusiasm for the movie adding up. Something looks off about the material compared to the images I've seen from the film. It's only a preview, though. The main announcement may look better to me. Unless the movie manages to somehow be absolutely stellar, though, I probably won't be getting it.

16. cooleddie74

Man, if Hot Toys did a line of nuTrek collectible figures I'd be all over them. Could you imagine how utterly awesome and mind-blowing a HT Nero, Kirk and Spock would be? How they'd nail Simon Pegg's facial expression? How realistically kinky and curly nuChekov's hair would look?

17. OdoWanKenobi

It would be amazing, and would bankrupt me even further.

However, Hot Toys is known for not finishing lines. Avengers is the first time ever that they have made a commitment to making every major character. For example, their Watchmen line had Silk Specter and the Comedian, and that was it. Not even a Rorschach. If they made a Trek line, and didn't treat it like Avengers, we would get Kirk and Spock, and if we were lucky maybe McCoy or Scotty. That would be about it.

Heh, and welcome to the wonderful world of Hot Toys, cooleddie. If you plan on getting any of their past stuff, though, be prepared to pay quite the premium. Hot Toys stuff appreciates fast. Have you decided what your first will be?

18. cooleddie74

Oh, it'll be a Star Wars one. Luke perhaps? I'm still a little undecided. Any recommendations?

19. OdoWanKenobi

Well, if you want Star Wars, then Luke is currently your only option. It's so far the only figure that they've shown. Though if you're interested in Hot Toys, then Sideshow's Star Wars stuff may also be up your alley. Their aliens and armored characters are on par with Hot Toys stuff. Their human characters maybe not so much, but you can't go wrong with the rest. Hot Toys is actually piggybacking off of Sideshow's Star Wars license. A lot of collectors are speculating that Sideshow will now be doing just the aliens, troopers, droids, etc. and Hot Toys will handle the humans. This seems possible considering it's been a very long time since Sideshow did a human.

Here's Hot Toys Luke

Sideshow's Boba Fett is due out next month

I haven't bought it, but their IG-88 is incredibly impressive

Or here's just a list of everything they have currently in stock or up for preorder.

20. cooleddie74

There's a Mythos Boba Fett that's currently being teased on the collecting sites, but I don't think that it's connected to Hot Toys in any way. I don't know...is the brand new Mythos line a Hot Toys thing? I'm still learning the ropes about the more expensive collectibles.