Star Trek-TMP Directors Edition NOT on Blu-Ray!!!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by marknetprod, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Guest

I'm glad the original version of TMP is being released on Blu-Ray because, for historical purposes, it should be an available option.

The best approach was taken with Blade Runner though. All five versions of the movie are available in one Blu-Ray set. Ridley Scott's "final" cut, a 1992 director's cut, the 1982 domestic and international versions, and a workprint that's different from any of the subsequent versions.

2. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Well, they were thinking about it, but Paramount didn't want to pay the extra cost to have the effects rendered in film resolution, so the theatrical release fell through. However, all of the effects were produced with enough resolution for it to be possible to render them at such a size. If the assets all still exist, an HD or film resolution version the DE would only require loading up the files and rerendering them.

3. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

So... the studio didn't fork out the cash for extra rendering time? That seems hard to believe.

4. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

Not really, Paramount didn't see a need for it as they nixed the theratrical release, movie studios rarely fork out money for something that is years down the road, like Blu-Ray.

5. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I should write and thank them for restoring it to its original state. I never had a problem with it in the first place. Now, the score on high quality Vinyl, that's something I can get behind.