What kind of fan are you?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Masao, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    That other stuff is but the imperfect image of the One True Lensflaring Awesome that is Abramaic Trekism.

2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm an Entertainist fan which means I just want to be entertained by Star Trek no matter what form it takes.

3. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    I'm the lifer, the one that started watching back in '66, who has now retired her Vulcan ears, started knitting a sweater and chugging back some Geritol and sits back and laughs at all the felgercarb you all debate about.

Lighten up, it's just a TV show!

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

No Anji you are wrong.

I cannot have spent this many decades of my life watching and talking about just a tv show.

5. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

No, Anji's right. Trek is just a TV show.

On the other hand, Who's the Boss?. Now that's something to build your life around.

6. Lenny Nurdbol

Lenny Nurdbol Lieutenant Commander

I am one of a handful of unique Trekkers who worship "The Father of Treknical Fandom" Himself, Franz Joseph...

We have this shrine to Him we attend on a regular basis... and we also believe that Michael McMaster is worthy of Sainthood, among others who have passed away... One of our most sacred relics is a pen which FJ allegedly used in sketching the earliest Enterprise deck plans...

The Articles of Federation each member has memorized...

Every year we campaign for an FJ Day national holiday... So far, no luck...

7. Lenny Nurdbol

Lenny Nurdbol Lieutenant Commander

It is Not just a TV Show, Trekkess...but a way of Life!

If you wish to join us, drop me a private e-mail...

8. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Reformer / Evolutionist / Ecumenical / Intellectual

I am all of these things. I love the show, know a lot about the show, take pride in that I know so much (though I don't lord it over others), find deeper meaning in the show, converse with fellow fans of the show, and like to talk to the uninitiated about watching the show. I also have a "live and let live" approach to other aspects of the fandom. I'm not a huge fan of Voyager, for example, but I am happy for Voyager fans who love the show, because they derive meaning and pleasure from the show.

I generally take this attitude towards religion as well. :lol:

9. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

I've seen them all, but I only believe in TOS(which I call simply 'Star Trek') up to IV.

10. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

I've scaled it back to casual.

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I'm an Archivist (make detailed records of the people, places, and events of the faith), but am often accused of having a "hidden agenda". So hidden, I don't know what it is!

So that would mean that people believed I was a Scripturist (pride themselves on their superior knowledge of the faith and canon and use it to lord over other believers). Sigh.

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Casual, occasional toy collecter, gamer.

13. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I'd say I'm a Traditionalist with Splittist tendencies.

14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Quietly observant, I would think. I like all Trek shows, although ENT is my favorite.

I'm not an activist. I'm not a member of the Trekkie People's Front. I chose the People's Front of Trek.

16. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

An elitist.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

You really are James Dixon, aren't you?

18. MrArcas

MrArcas Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Great thread. Your initial options certainly make one pause and think. It's easy to give a glib answer, but when you study the options you realize that there are so many ways to approach Trek love/Trek hate. Like most I probably fall into a few categories... and it's hardly worth detailing. But if I try to get to the core of my love of Trek... well, it springs from the same source it always did. As such I have at least one foot in the "Fundamentalist" camp, but I'm open to new creations (like, say, The Starfleet Museum) as long as they mesh well with the show's original flavor and intent.

For me as a Trekkie, the golden age was 1972 (when I first started watching the show in earnest) to 1979 (when the first movie came out). In that period Trek was largely a dead show (except for TAS' contributions). So the continuing adventures were left up to me and my imagination. There wasn't anyone out them setting new canon. Fans were more open to appreciate it in their own way... and that was fine to me.

And that's kind of where I returned to. I don't really pay much attention to post-'79 canon... for many reasons. I kind of have my own little version of the Trek universe in my imagination.... and that's just fine for me.

19. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ That is me as well. The journey in the mind is the thing. Whatever purpose liking Star Trek fills is because of the space it occupies in my imagination and the way it interacts with my memories and who I am. I find it intolerable to have this tool with which I treat myself shaped by someone's canon, regardless of what production purpose canon might serve. It is what it is to me and for me, and if that means it cuts me off from the rest of you because we increasingly find ourselves reading from different pages well, that's unfortunate. But fandom was once a lonely pursuit acted out with a TV, an occasional fanzine and an even rarer convention. The fact that now we can coverse about our shared interests in real time does not alter the purpose my fandom filled. If one conflicts with the other something's gotta give.