So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Cold Equations: The Body Electric a few days ago. I don't like it as much as the previous two, but it's still very enjoyable.

I'm currently reading Star Trek: Mere Anarchy: Things Fall Apart. I'm having a hard time getting into this one. It's not bad, it's just not gripping me. I've really enjoyed everything I've read by Kevin Dilmore and/or Dayton Ward (except That Which Divides, which wasn't bad, but similarly wasn't gripping) so I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the authors, but I can't really say what I'm not enjoying about it. Anyway, I'm just going to continue on and hopefully I'll enjoy the other stories more.

2. Jaro Stun

Jaro Stun Captain Captain

DTI Watching the clock

3. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Just noticed that the first 2 Cold Equations books' Kindle editions are on sale on Amazon for 5.99 each. Good timing for me, and I thought there might be others here who might benefit. :D

I finished Plagues of Night yesterday and have moved right into Raise the Dawn. I'll make a few comments when I finish the duology.

4. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by the Forgotten Brontë Sister. ;)

5. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

Just putting the finishing touches on TNG: Immortal Coil in preparation for starting the TNG: Cold Equations trilogy.

- Byron

6. Killie

Killie Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just posted my review for Shatner's Academy: Collision Course which can be read here if you are interested.

I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would considering how much I knew it would diverge from other novels following Kirk's younger years.

I am currently reading "The Last Wish" which is the first novel in The Witcher series which of course inspired a couple of PC games.

7. Cap'n Crunch

I finished Mere Anarchy: Things Fall Apart and started Mere Anarchy: The Centre Cannot Hold. Yesterday, I also read the first story from IDW's ongoing Star Trek comic, an adaptation of "Where No Man Has Gone Before."

8. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I recently finished The Path to Power: The Years of Lyndon Johnson by Robert Caro.

9. Cap'n Crunch

I finished Mere Anarchy: The Centre Cannot Hold today and started Mere Anarchy: Shadows of the Indignant. Yesterday I read the second story in IDW's ongoing Star Trek comic, "The Galileo Seven".

10. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Finished Plagues of Night last night, about 1/3 into Raise the Dawn now.

11. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Finished Star Trek: The Next Generation: Invasion!: Book 2: Soldiers of Fear. Book 3, DS9's Time's Enemy is already bought and downloaded but I haven't started reading it yet.

The TNG book was solid. I read that the book wasn't good but I liked it. The only downside I can think of is that the Furies were now fully presented as enemies you harbour little to no sympathy for. They were more likeable in Book 1. Let's see how it turns out in the two remaining issues.

12. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey, I was surprised, I didn't think Flashback was that bad either. Well, until the tacked on obligatory Kirk worship in the final 3 chapters. I was REALLY expecting a ton of TOS worship and she pretty much avoided that most of the way. None of the characters talk or think they way I expect them to but that's not always a negative in a Voyager novel.

I'll blasting through Broken Bow during the downtimes while watching the Golden Globes.

The book I'm really reading right now is DTI: Watching the Clock. I'm totally enjoying it. I'm about a quarter of the way through. The opening couple of paragraphs cracked me up. I haven't figured out if there's an ongoing plot or if it's a series of events tied to various time travel episodes but it doesn't matter. I'm having a lot of fun reading this.

13. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading an older TNG novel Blaze of Glory by Simon Hawke.I really liked his other novel I recently read The Romulan prize.:techman:

14. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, since hardly any of the characters, especially Janeway, talked or behaved the same way from one episode to another, getting the characterizations spot-on in a novel can be a little dodgy. :borg:

In general, I like Diane Carey's approach to Janeway. I do think Flashback is probably the best example of it, though.

15. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Have to read more ST novels. Just finished "The Statesman's Book" by John of Salisbury (c. 1159) which almost would justify the Inquisition and the Witch Trials of times long ago (I guess). But it is one of the source documents for "Great Political Thinkers" (4th ed.) by Ebenstein. Now about 38% of the way through Only Superhuman by Christopher L. Bennett (c. 2011 or 2012) and appreciating it immensely. A contrast with the other book. E-readers are quite different from reading hard copies. Maybe I shall start reading the regular DS9 books sometime soon. Only finished watching Season 4 just earlier this month. LLAP

16. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Success Through a Positive Mental Attitude by Napoleon Hill. Also, Only Superhuman by Christopher L. Bennett.

17. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Currently reading:
    A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson (been following The Wheel of Time since 1993, kind of weird knowing that this is the last volume although I do think it ran too long)
    Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly
    The Cry of the Onlies (TOS #46) by Judy Klass

Over the last week, I completed:
    Typhon Pact: Rough Beasts of Empire by David R. George III
    Killing Lincoln by Bill O'Reilly
    Masks (TNG #7) by John Vornholt
    The Captain's Honor (TNG #8) by David and Daniel Dvorkin (surprised there wasn't a sequel to this book, at least as far as I know)
    Star Trek V: The Final Frontier novelization by J. M. Dillard

18. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Just finished Oblivion, the 4th (or 5th?) Stargazer novel. It features Picard's first meeting with Guinan. Not bad. Gonna try out the next one, Enigma.

19. sportzkid

sportzkid Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A quite well done Time Travel book.

20. Cap'n Crunch

I'm still reading Mere Anarchy: Shadows of the Indignant. Over the last two days I read Volume 2 of IDW's ongoing Trek comics, which included the stories Operation: Annihilate and Vulcan's Vengeance.