General Pro Wrestling News and Discussion Thread Part Deux!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I sincerely hope that Sheamus is not solely being pushed as hard and as fast as he is because:

1) He's buddy-buddy with Triple H.
    2) He's big and Irish and Vince loves that about him.

So, setting size aside, Fit Finlay only needed to brown-nose to Trips a few times to be remembered as the multi-time World Champion?

Drew McIntyre was just born on the wrong side of the Irish Sea? Does Vince comparatively hate the Scottish?

2. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

Nah, Finlay was too old and made a name for himself in WCW. The brown-nosing will only get a person so far if they made a name for themselves outside of the WWE. Finlay did surprisingly well for himself, despite debuting for WWE in his late 40's. He held the United States Championship, had some choice feuds, and spent a good deal of time in the upper mid card.

Actually, Vince would not have endorsed McIntyre as a "future WWE Champion", had he not intended to push him. In McIntyre's case, his marital problems and bad attitude, cost him that main event push. Still, its not to late, after all, Sheamus floundered for almost a year, following his initial mega push.

3. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Vince pushing Sheamus is a lot like Vince pushing Luger. Big guys with no moves, no vocal talent and no charisma, no matter how many times we are told differently. Right now I just dont see the guy in the WWE who can carry the ball once Cena is moved down. WWE had done a poor job getting us to care about the mid carders who might have moved up. Miz, Ziggler, Barrett, Orton, none of them will put huge numbers in the seats on name alone. Its going to be a dreary few years until someone sticks his head up and stands out.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just saw an interesting interview that Jim Ross conducted with CM Punk and Stone Cold promoting WWE'13. There was a lot of tension in the video and they were talking about what if's. To me they were clearly teasing a possible match in the future. I don't know how likely this is or if Steve would be physically up to (although he sure as hell damned portrayed himself like he was up for it) a match like that. Just something interesting to keep an eye out for possibly Wrestlemania 30 perhaps? It had more tension than Cena/Rock did IMO. I'll see if I can find it and post it.

5. Mr Silver

Vince McMahon is going to be returning to Raw on Monday. This follows the abysmal ratings in recent weeks (everytime they dip, Vince makes a return). Furthermore, there has been talk of John Cena making an appearance too.

WWE is in denial if they think that the low ratings have to do with the absence of John Cena. The low ratings are down to the lack of stars, the creative team's inability to focus on more than a couple of performers at any one time, and the lack of any intriguing storylines.

6. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

7. Admiral_Young

Cena has said he will be appearing tomorrow night in spite of doctor's orders. Also isn't Vince's appearance going to entail a "state of WWE" speech?

8. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

Presumably he won't just say "It's fucking shit and Sheamus is ruining everything". They'll probably just use it as part of the AJ storyline or something.

9. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I haven't watched Raw in probably almost a month. This has me intrigued enough to tune in at 8pm. But i have a feeling it will just lead to Vince booking some kinda tag match. And then dropping off tv again.

10. Mr Silver

CM Punk and Alberto Del Rio vs Ryback and Sheamus - or something yawn inducing, to that effect.

See if I were in Vinnie Mac's shoes, I'd want to implement a gamechanger or two. Let's assume that John Cena should be able to compete at HIAC, but they are going to run with the backup plan. So tonight, Cena comes out and delivers one of his usual promos, stating that his recovery is taking longer than he expected and therefore, he won't be able to compete at HIAC. Punk comes out, cuts one of his promos on Cena, until Vince McMahon interrupts.

Vince comes out and talks about the history and the proud tradition of the WWE Championship before mentioning something about making a few changes. Vince signals to the back and out comes a couple of suits carrying a briefcase. Inside that briefcase is the new title belt which Vince reveals to everybody and then presents to CM Punk. It's a very pompous affair, in which the crowd will no doubt boo. Vince will then say:

"...However, since John Cena is unable to compete at Hell In A Cell, I've taken the liberty in selecting a new opponent for CM Punk".

At which point, the new opponent (use your imagination, could be Ryback, Ziggler, Vince McMahon himself, or even Undertaker) comes out and hits the ring. Cena walks out, not to be seen until after the conclusion of HIAC...Or so we think.

At HIAC, the new opponent seems to have Punk's number, until Punk takes control of the match through malicious means. Then the "big surprise" - Cena runs in to try and assist the new opponent, but the new opponent decks Cena for trying to interfere. Punk then slaps on the Anaconda Vice or hits the GTS (if it's Ziggler or Vinnie Mac), or gets a rollup (if it's Ryback or Undertaker) and takes the victory.

After the match, Cena tries to reason with the new opponent, but they are having none of it, so Cena decks him and then Punk, before taking the WWE Championship, and walking out of the arena (to a chorus of boos) to close the show.

From here on, they can run with a Cena heel turn, or abort it and justify his actions as a result of frustration for trying to do the right thing. He'll then redeem himself by beating Punk at Survivor Series for the WWE Championship. CM Punk will then regain the WWE Championship in the TLC rematch - just in time to face The Rock at Royal Rumble.

11. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Hes probably going to threaten both GM's tonight for poor performance and then bring in Flair to run things.

12. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't Flair still in limbo due to the TNA lawsuit?

I like some of the ideas I've read here but you guys are giving the WWE FAR too much credit in terms of shaking things up. In Cena's absence they're just going to over-push Mayonnaise Man instead (although I have to admit his match with Damien Sandow last week was top notch).

13. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And they'll probably keep vince off the show until the last quarter hour/overrun. To keep the ratings going up through the night, so people tune in at the end.

14. Mr Silver

The way I see it, WWE will continue to tease a Ryback and CM Punk match for the next couple of weeks, until the Raw before HIAC. If Cena has sufficiently recovered by then, they'll do an angle where he makes his grand return. If not, they'll swerve on us and name somebody else as CM Punk's replacement.

I say that, because I honestly don't think WWE wants to end Ryback's undefeated streak, and putting the title on him at this stage would be a huge gamble. Not to mention, that Ryback is hardly the deserving choice to end Punk's near, year-long reign. Don't get me wrong, ending the reign would give somebody a huge rub, but the truth is, only one wrestler can succeed Punk as WWE Champion, at this stage. That wrestler (if you can call him that, given his track record) is John Cena - that's how much WWE has failed at making big stars in the last couple of years.

Sure, you could have Orton come out of no where and defeat one of them for the WWE Championship. But the problem with that scenario, is that Orton has a fraction of the credibility that he had in Spring/Summer 2011. His character is incredibly stale, worse actually, it's stagnant. He has no where left to go in his current persona and no one left to feud with. A heel turn may solve this problem, but it won't make him a suitable contender for the WWE Championship.

Let's take a look at everybody who has fought for the WWE Championship in the last couple of years:

The Miz: Credibility ruined by by booking following WWE Championship loss. Currently picking up the pieces in the mid card as Intercontinental Champion.

R Truth: Brief flirtation with the main event went no where. Was suspended for breaking the wellness policy and that was the end of that. Now works a mid-card comedy gimmick.

Wade Barrett: Main event push went no where, thanks to safe booking. Hasn't really stumbled upon "that" gimmick or character quite yet. Building himself back up.

Alberto Del Rio: Bombed as WWE Champion, was swiftly dethroned by John Cena and then booked in the typical cowardly heel role. Second WWE Championship run was also a failure. Spent most of the summer jobbing to Sheamus. Credibility is in pieces thanks to terrible booking.

Big Show: Creative can't seem to decide on whether he is a heel or a face. Everybody knows that he can be beaten, and creative makes no efforts to actually push him as an unstoppable force when they characterise his as such - as evident by his numerous clean losses following his recent heel turn.

Kane: See Big Show.

Hell, I'd actually take a Ryback main event push/title run if WWE would actually put him over the likes of John Cena and Sheamus. That's how you make a new star, even the most protected of characters (Undertaker - outside of Wrestlemania) has done jobs and put over the most unlikeliest of performers in an effort to build new stars. Triple H put over Batista, Randy Orton, and Sheamus. The Rock put over Mick Foley, Kurt Angle, and Brock Lesnar.

There are so many examples...

15. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Nothing about Punk clocking a fan? When I first read about it I thought the fan had to be a plant but after seeing the fan-recorded YouTube video, I'm convinced Punk just clocked the wrong guy after being provoked by some asshole fans. Can't say I blame Punk for reacting as he did among those overzealous marks, but at the very least he owes the guy he punched an apology.

I read people saying how this incident proves Punk's not ready to be a top guy in WWE and how he should be fired and think all those opinions are bullshit. Paying for a ticket doesn't give anyone the right to touch and push a wrestler, period. Punk reacted like a not small number of people would in defending himself. Hopefully there's not too much blowback from this.

16. Mr Silver

I thought it was a plant at first too. I started to think that this was maybe WWE attempting to really put the heel in Punk's character, perhaps to silence the vocal minority of the audience who are still cheering him.

Still, you can't blame Punk for reacting. Some douche in the audience was hitting him and so he reacted. The fact he hit the wrong guy was purely accidental and that should be taken into account when dealing with the situation. If I were WWE, I'd offer the fan some sort of compensation in the form of front row tickets for a PPV event and some merchandise, along with getting Punk to personally apologise.

It would be ridiculous to abort Punk's push and title reign.

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was the guy putting on his shades inside? No wonder Punk pegged him. Unfortunately I bet it made that guy who did it's night.

Punk and VKM went at it pretty good last night, entertaining if silly. Punk's badass scale has really been nerfed since he went heel, he was top of the world before and now he really is a little punk. Hopefully, he can recover his standing at some point. I missed the beginning, I hope he didn't get slapped by Larry King or anything.

18. Admiral_Young

I actually watched two segments of Raw last night. First time for me in about three weeks...and I liked them both. The Vince/Punk promo and then the match. Did I hear fans actually cheer John Cena when he came down to confront Punk??? Also was it just me or have they muted pseudo-heel Michael Cole finally? He seemed "normal" for once.

19. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So was this part of RAW or real?
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7w-L9mN0k8[/yt]
    Remember this is Wrestling...:rommie::lol:

20. Admiral_Young

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012