Dynamite Entertainment presents Dark shadows comic book series:

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by timothy, Aug 26, 2011.

1. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know how many dark shadow fans there but dynamite entertainment is doing a new comic book series. not sure when it is sopposed to come out.

:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I wonder if this is based on the original series or the new Tim Burton movie?

I'm betting it's the latter.

3. timothy

I am hopeing it's based on the original series. and as for the tim burton movie adaption I bet you marvel will do that one.

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I doubt if it will be set in the 60s, unfortunately. It will probably be done the way that Moonstone did Night Stalker-- the same character(s) set in the present. Kind of anachronistic.

5. timothy

well for those who are interested it looks as the release will be a october event.
    all so from the discription I read it look like it is following the original show. Now I've only seen bits and pieces of the original show and I saw all of the 90's program and read the three novels. I was wondering if any one know's if this show is aviable on dvd or BR yet?

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And, of course, there were also the two previous movies, dozens of paperback novels by "Marilyn Ross," and an off-Broadway play . . . .

7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

from what i read this comic is set in 1972, after the events of the final episode. i think we actually discussed this news in that other DS thread.

8. timothy

never seen the other thread and never seen the final episode of the original series. anyone know if this series on dvd yet?

9. Saga

it is on dvd, but the sets are quite expensive. some of the eps are available on Netflix though.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it probably will be based on the original. Based off of the other series based on old characters that Dynamite has been doing, they seem to base things off of the original source and then take it off in their own direction.
    Netflix has 4 40 episodes collections starting with episode 210 available for streaming.

11. timothy

for some reason I can't do netflix on my laptop, i can do hulu but not netflix wiered.
    i am looking forward to this comic. I love vampires and we can talk of the up coming
    movie as well.

12. Saga

13. timothy

wow thanks for that it was an awesome article all so loved how the first three covers looked.

14. RJDiogenes

Well, the writer talks a good game. I like his comments about operatic storytelling and continuity. I especially like this:

I wish more creators had this philosophy with classic properties.

15. Saga

agreed. just because you have the ability to do something doesn't mean you should. you could have Barnabas fight an army of Mummies...but that wouldn't fit with the series.

16. timothy

since he's part of the dynamit entertainment universe I would love for him to meet up with vamperilla.

17. RJDiogenes

^^ That could work. There was a crossover with Barnabas and Kolchak a couple of years ago that wasn't bad.

Exactly. Too many reboots and revivals lose the aesthetics and atmosphere of the original through lack of restraint and discipline.

18. timothy

well alice cooper will be making a cameo in the up coming movie no idea who or what kinda role.

19. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Has anybody heard any of the Big Finish audio dramas? They do great work on their Doctor Who stuff, so I would imagine their Dark Shadows releases are good, but seeing as how I'm not made of money I haven't heard any of them yet. :p

20. timothy

not really into raido drama's that much. was never introduced into them.
    don't forget to watch ghost hunters tonight there visiting the collins manchin.