Spider-Men

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

You know, we really need a comics sub-forum. ;)

This issue hit the streets yesterday, it has the 616 Universe Spider-Man meeting Miles Morales the "controversial" mixed-raced Ultimate Universe Spider-Man, I believe this is supposed to be a a few issue-long mini series. The first issue was okay, mostly dealt with "establishing" the 616 Spider-Man and getting him into the Ultimate universe, he doesn't meet Ultimate Spider-Man until the last panel of the issue.

Anyway, thoughts and feelings?

(I bought my LCS' exclusive cover issue.)

[​IMG]

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Spider-Men" is a five issue limited series...and I thought the first issue was a pretty good set up issue. Bendis finally proves that when pressed, he can indeed write a decent 616 Peter Parker. I liked Peter's reaction when he first arrives in the Ultimate'Verse and sees the Triskileon. His next reaction when he finds out people know he's Spider-Man is classic! It's also been teased that he's gonna meet Ultimate Peter's family at some point. Next issue is gonna be interesting. The preview for issue two (without dialogue) shows Peter and Miles on a rooftop talking before a fight break outs. For those who have not read Ultimate Comics Spider-Man...you should. It's been terrific, and Miles Morales is a great character. Sara Picheilli's art is sensational. She's fast become one of my favorite artists.

3. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Sarah Pichelli's art was the highlight of the issue. She's a tremendous visual storyteller. The whole issue would have worked without one line of dialogue. Of course I was glad Bendis' wonderful dialogue was there to enhance the artwork.

Not much story this time out but it's always fun to spend some time with Peter Parker and Bendis had Peter's personality down pat. The 616 Peter has a personality that's distinct from Bendis' Ultimate Peter but he's written with that sassy, pop cultural Bendis flair that I so love.

Now that the set up is complete I'm looking forward to the story. Bring on Spider-Men #2!

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

They don't even meet until the final page? Seriously? :wtf:

5. Admiral_Young

In fact...Bendis wrote 616 Peter so well, at times I thought Dan Slott was writing the book. @Mr. Light...Bendis is writing the book. What'd you expect? :)

6. Trekker4747

Final panel, actually. First part of the book "establishes" the 616 Spider-Man and him getting to the device that sends him in to the Ultimate universe, then we spend some time with him exploring/discovering the Ultimate universe where he has an encounter with some local color and eventually Miles.

I thought it was good, you might need to "establish" things before jumping into it. I wouldn't be surprised if the next issue was from Miles' perspective up to the point he meets 616 Spidey.

7. Admiral_Young

^ Knowing Bendis that's a pretty good bet actually.

8. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a Bendis book. You're lucky that it didn't take 5 issues for them to meet up.

9. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Except that Bendis has that incredibly stupid and annoying habit of using double exclamation marks in almost every sentence he writes. From what little I've read of Slott's ASM run, he doesn't do anything comparable to irritate the hell out of me.

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Read the first issue in about three minutes.

There should have been a construction worker who, about to be crushed by a beam falling from the One World Trade Center site, is saved by the Spider-Men of Two Worlds! :)

11. Admiral_Young

12. Trekker4747

Dialogue is pretty darn good, though I've no clue what Miles is 'supposed to be" like.

13. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same here. I enjoyed that, but I haven't read any of "Ultimate" with him in it.

Can anyone tell me how lost I'll be reading this?

14. Admiral_Young

Miles is written exactly how Bendis is writing him since he was first introduced. If you haven't read any Ultimate Comics Spider-Man lately you won't really know the stuff that has happened lately with Peter Parker or Miles Morales, or even the other stuff that has happened in the Ultimate 'Verse since Ultimatum. Checking out Ultimate Comics Spider-Man wouldn't be a bad idea. Or just read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Morales

15. Admiral_Young

Second issue came out yesterday, just finished reading it...and I thought it was ridiculously awesome! I marked out big time to Peter meeting Ultimate Fury, the banter between Peter and Miles during their fight was awesome. Sara's art is just astonishing. Using Ultimate Mysterio as the villain in this was a very interesting decision. I think this is living up to the hype so far.

16. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i look forward to the trade.

17. Trekker4747

#2 came out yesterday? Must have overlooked it.

18. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ It came out on the 27th, and it was indeed a damn good issue (and I'm not generally fond of most of Bendis's mainstream superhero work). After this one issue, I'm now interested in looking at Ultimate Spider-Man again for the first time in years.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It's so funny to read Bendis talking about wanting people to get bang for their buck with his comics, when they're so ridiculously spread out story wise. 1 and 2 really should have been a single issue. And the New Avengers Iron First / Phoenix thing is just taking forever as well.

20. Admiral_Young

I actually disagree with you Mr. Light, the story has been pretty well spaced out for once in this case. Peter being sent and arriving in the Ultimate universe and then meeting Miles at the end in issue one, then Peter and Miles confronting each other and having a little fight and then meeting Ultimate Fury in issue two was perfect pacing for once from Bendis. This has been pretty tight IMO. This is nothing like his usual 616 work. Ultimate Comics Spider-Man is similarly paced.