Clara and the Second Doctor (spoilers only through aired eps)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Alidar Jarok, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Something I just randomly thought about. Obviously, there are some clear Second Doctor references this season with the Great Intelligence and Ice Warriors appearing. But I just realized something random about the three Claras.

There are two female companions exclusively associated with the Second Doctor. One was a super smart human from the future. The other was from the Victorian era. Does this sound familiar at all with regards to Clara? Now I know this doesn't give any hints of what's to come. In fact, it might be a reference instead of a clue, but with all the Second Doctor references, I wonder if that's more deliberate than accidental.

2. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Smith's portrayal of the Doctor seems to be most based on Troughton. So, it could well be a reference and an homage to the source material.

Mr Awe

3. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm far more intrigued by all the apparent Rose references. A list compiled on another board:

Rose is coming back for the 50th, so I wonder.

4. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I suppose that's not impossible, but it would just be too small a universe for my liking. Besides, she was done to death for me. Doomsday was a fine sendoff mucked up by RTD being unwilling to let the character go.

5. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I did like her appearance at the end of "The End of Time" though.

6. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I just don't think that Moffat is so gaga over RTD's creation to make her a huge theme, but we'll see!

7. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I could imagine a flashback scene with her and Tennant being a part of the story. I am liking Clara, and I'm not interested in rehashing old companions. Bringing any back significantly, I'd prefer any from the classic series in some form or other over new Who folks. Nothing against new companions, but I'd rather see some old faces show up before they pass on if they're going to bring past folks back around.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yes, I got very annoyed with her, both on screen in S2 and off screen in a never forgotten kind of way, but her scene with Tennant in TEOT was beautifully done.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not to mention that Clara looks kind of like a cross between Victoria and Zoe. I don't think there's likely to be anything to it, but it's a nice little coincidence.

10. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just think that Moffat and Smith have gained inspiration from the Troughton era. BTW, another nod to Troughton is the upcoming cybermen, seeing the Cybermen were at the end of the day Troughton's signature enemy, and the new design looks more like the cybermen from the Moonbase/Tomb of the Cybermen and the Wheel in Space than any other cybermen design.

And yeah, the whole Rose thing is probably linked to the 50th.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Plus the 11th Doctor, 1 1, 1+1, 2, the 2nd Doctor! It all makes sense now!

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Funny thing is, in Rings of Akhaten, with the Doctor investigating her past, and her reaction to what seems like manipulation (or molding her to his desires) to her, they totally reminded me of Seven and Ace. And then of course the building mystery/arc of "Doctor Who?" (Cartmel's Master Plan coming to fruition at last?)

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, the traditional Cybermen is another one. I just wrote "spoilers only through aired eps" so I decided to not include it.