The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jul 14, 2012.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I actually was kind of thrown off my the spirit portal line in this episode. In the premiere they talked about the Northern Lights like they were a normal thing to see in the sky, which to me would mean that the Northern Spirit Portal was already open. Unless I missed a line, nobody said anything about the Northern Lights being gone or that portal being closed. I actually thought that was kind of the point of the first two episodes.

Maybe he just wants to send Korra up to the North Pole to get her out of the way while he takes over the South.

One thing I will say, though, is that I appreciate the difference between this series and A:TLA, where the peaceful Waterbenders (and the rest of the world) were constantly being oppressed by the Fire Nation. It's interesting seeing the Water Nation being the aggressors this time.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Too bad we'll never see an evil Airbender!

I always thought Earthbenders were the most dangerous powerset. I'd like to see an Earthbender villain.

3. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I'm really enjoying seeing glimpses into Aang's family. I also find it interesting that Bumi from the previous series may have been reincarnated as Aang's son. And as a non-bender as well. Bumi's still a mad genius.

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I prefer to marathon full seasons too. I only watch weekly when there's discussion.

heh heh! [​IMG]

Did Katara buy that excuse? :rommie:

Okay, still loving the show, but so far, this season isn't as interesting as the last. I hope it doesn't get too bogged down in politics.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed the episode, although not quite as much as the first two.
    The stuff with the conflict between the two tribes is pretty interesting. I'm curious if the end of the episode is going to turn Korra against her uncle, or if he's going to convince her he has good intentions.
    The stuff with Tenzin and his siblings was fun.
    I completely forgot until I was reading an interview on IGN that Mako is voiced by the guy who played Bud on Married with Children. That got me to check out the rest of the cast on Wikipedia, and while there I discovered that Tenzin is voiced by JK Simmons. I had no idea that was him.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The world just seems so much smaller in LoK than it did in A:TLA. I miss all the traveling they did on Appa!

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm just glad Season Two isn't taking place in Republic City again.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You mean, in this show? We've had one major Earthbender villain before, Long Feng.

Come to think of it, that's a good point. If the only way to restore the airbender population was through procreation, then Aang should've put conventional ideas of marital fidelity aside and had a whole gaggle of wives/concubines. Although that would never have gotten past Nickelodeon's censors.

9. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Hey.. i loved the pro bending scenes. Awesome and unique sport. I wish there was a top of the line video game like that!

As to the episode or S2 in general.. i wish that the uncle or rather his storyline takes a twist sometime because as it seems now it's very obvious and predictable which makes the whole main plot very boring.

S1 Amon was interesting and cool to watch but so far the plotlines in season 2 disappoint.

I hope it picks up and surprises us because everything else is quite good (i love the animation, design and colors in this show).

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I sincerely doubt that the season is primarily about the uncle whose name I shall eventually learn, it'll be more about the spirits...

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same here. I thought the Pro-Bending was cool.
    I would also kill for a good video game in the Avatar universe.

Does anyone know why they don't appear to have the first season DVD/Blu-Rays of TLoK on Netflix. I tried searching Legend of Korra, Korra, and Avatar: Legend of Korra and the closes thing it game was Legend of the Seeker. I find it hard to believe they don't have a show this popular there at all. I could it not streaming, but it seems really weird that they don't even have the disc sets.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

They don't have original Avatar, either. Do they have any Nickelodeon shows?

13. Christopher

14. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Amazon Instant Video has both ATLA and LoK.

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I think Netflix recently dropped all Nickelodeon programming from their streaming service. I don't know why, exactly. Maybe the deal expired and they decided not to continue it.

16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed season 1 but it does take place too much in a very small area and I feel could have used another episode during the invasion.

The shows aren't the same, which is good, but I really miss the sense of exploration we had with TLA. I hope that with the next seasons we get a more worldy issue than a Republic City issue, and then a water bender civil war issue.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which is why it seems so weird to me that they don't have anything for Korra. Usually if they don't have something that is out they'll have a page for it with an option to "save" it instead of adding it to your queue, but they don't have that for Korra. It's one of the only things that is available that I've come across that doesn't have any kind of page.

18. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

A pretty interesting episode, and I'm really enjoying the political stuff and the focus on the Water Tribes. The revelation about Aang's parenting was disappointing but also not surprising - it makes plenty of sense and shows that best intentions can be harmful too. I wasn't sure about having Bumi and Kya around, but am liking them now. The "teleporting between North and South Poles" sounds a bit weird I agree, but it could also explain why the breakaway Tribe from the North ended up so far South without, you know... stopping somewhere closer along the way.

I'm finding Bolin and Eska to be very "meh." Which is sad, I like Aubrey Plaza and I feel like Eska and Denza could be fun... but not like this. Missing Asami.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see outright rebellion, especially with Unalaq's massive (guess here) overreach in arresting Tonraq and Senna. Really my only complaint about this political storyline is that they're making Korra kind of... dumb, if you ask me. She just dealt with a corrupt Water Tribe official misusing his authority last season, and now she's not even seriously protesting Unalaq here? I mean... "Oh Korra, we need the troops to protect the Southern Portal, which is why they clearly need to be preventing outgoing shipping and we need a military presence patrolling the streets and ordering Southern Tribesmen to stay in their homes." Seriously? That doesn't even make sense with Unalaq's stated reason for having soldiers at the South Pole. It's like he's trying to goad them into a rebellion so he'll have an excuse to take more control, and Korra for some reason can't see it.

I feel like this whole post is complaining, and I don't mean it to be that way. Definitely enjoying the show and excited to see where it goes.

19. Christopher

He's her uncle. Family changes things.

20. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

My family is crazy, if they started a civil war I'd pick the right side (IMO obviously) and then take out the family member, screw that we share some DNA.