Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Nothing wrong with that, the character was interesting and seemed to be doing okay as Batman until he went nuts.

Whereas to me it comes off as a cross between an excuse to put Wayne back in the cape and cowel and (a somewhat needed) crapping on 90s antiheroes that came out of the Dark Age of comics. Of corse thinking about it that way it feels more like a necessary evil, shame it didn't kill the replace a hero with a psychotic version idea entirely.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hear! Hear! I'm also a Jean-Paul fan. I liked him as Batman and wished that he had been in the cowl a bit longer.

Here's hoping you get a chance at that Jean-Paul book.

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone else reading Red She-Hulk?
    This weeks issue has an homage to the now infamous Hulk/Loki ragdoll moment from The Avengers film.

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I might be getting some of the details wrong but the idea behind JP was to show readers who wrote in and asked why Batman didn't kill the joker et al. why that was a terrible idea, so the plan was always to put Bruce back in the Cowl - however the feedback they got from a lot of young readers was not 'this is terrible' but 'this is great, when is he going to cut the joker' s head off? V

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

That was exactly it. Denny O'Neill wanted to show why a Batman who killed wouldn't work so that when it was all done readers would go, "Yeah, Bruce Wayne is the best possible Batman. Batman shouldn't kill."

I'm not sure it entirely succeeded because they went about it in a cynical way. Jean-Paul was essentially a "straw man" in the argument; he wasn't written to succeed, and he was set up to fail.

At the time, I thought they should have done much like what Batman Beyond did years later -- Jean-Paul is the "muscle" Batman, while the wheelchair-bound Bruce Wayne is the brains behind the operation.

8. Turtletrekker

Free Comic Book Day is becoming a bigger waste of time every year. I mean, I'm glad that the stores get the extra business, but there really isn't anything there to appeal to regular readers anymore. Marvel used to put out full self-contained issues. One year, ther was a team-up between New and Dark Avengers by Bendis and Cheung that is actually one of my favorite single issues of Bendis' Avengers run. Another year had a full-legnth Iron Man/Thor tale by Fraction and Romita Jr. There was a full-legnth Spider-Island prelude from Slott and Ramos.

Then came shit like re-printing an issue of Avengers that I've already bought in order to promote an event that will be delayed. This year's Infinity prelude by Hickman and Cheung really isn't anything special in the slightest. The story is only 10 pages long and tries to evoke the feeling of the Thanos scenes from the Avengers movie while planting seeds of Thanos' next scheme on Earth. Also included was 5-page reprint of an old Thanos vs Drax story that originally appeared in Logan's Run #6 (of all places), 1977. I actually enjoyed that story more than the main story.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The point of free comic day is not to read something you're already into, but to try something new, yes Marvel, you have a big movie, yes DC your new movie is impressive too... But it's not like you need any help buying mainstream comics, but how is "free" as an incentive to try out something you don't know you like... Unless you're old and stuck in your - HEY YOU KIDS! GET OFF MY LAWN!

Also it's great shit to hand me down instantly to your nieces and nephews.

Fuckit.

Just grab anyone you're related to under ten and take them to free comics day, and then give them 5 bucks to rummage through the quarter bin. Then every one gets ice cream afterwards and all that goo is not dripping on YOUR comics.

It's not like your sister won't let you see her children any more after what happened at Christmas?

Edit.

ah.

Just looked at the calendar.

Never mind.

10. Turtletrekker

Oh, don't get me wrong, I grabbed a shitload of comics, a lot of stuff I normally wouldn't buy, I just wish that they would try a little harder to make the final product worth reading. Especially since I had to wait an hour and a fucking half in line to get the damn things!

11. Admiral_Young

Yeah I was disappointed with it this year too...especially from DC, but I enjoyed the Infinity "preview" I'm very much looking forward to it.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just finished Infinity. I see what you meant by short. I wasn't in the mood for the Drax Story. That's not my Drax. I do like the new Drax (Cammy!), but really my Drax is the brain damaged one... Look at the date: It's 2013. I'm reading the Ellis exert of his Avenger GN at the back of Infinity and I'm thinking that isn't it conceivable that by 2013 that Captain America was recovered from the ice floats post 911? By any definition of the truth, that means that he would have woken up in a bad future and taken the first time machine available back in time to fix EVERYTHING.

OMG... Hulk Agents of SMASH just used animation cells from the cartoon... Or they were going for a very weird effect... But it was awful or great for a 6 year old.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There were no free issues from any of the big publishers on Comixology for FBCD, which really surprised me, because I swore there were the last few years.

14. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are some. You just have to poke around.

This is how I found them on my iPad: From the store I hit the "more" button (top left). This brings up various quick links in the store. Select "Free comics." From here just scroll down and you'll see a Free Comic Book Day category. There are currently 14 books to download.

I recommend Molly Danger by Jamal Igle. Top notch all-ages super-heroing featuring a young female protagonist.

Edited to add: Just noticed you said from the "big" publishers. IIRC last year the DC FCBD book was added a week or so later. So I would guess it's just a matter of waiting.

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I admit I no longer go to FCBD for the free comics as issued with the FCBD banner.
    I go for the sales. I got a good run of fine to near mint issues of Byrne's '90s Namor 1-48, bagged. The entire run of Sleepwaker 1-33. For $.50 it's worth rereading those imo.
    Various other misc books.
    Plus for every $10 you spend you got a ticket that could be redeemed for various HC/OHC/Omnis.
    I already had the Omnis he was offering but got the Seige OHC and Dark Avengers OHC.

He also gives away surplus "recent" books. I'm guessing he has surplus cause he bought them in 'x' quantity to get some variant. This year I got the Marvel Now #1 issues of Cable&X-Force, Nova, Captain America and New Avengers which I've not yet read. He also had Secret Avengers, Savage Wolverine and Thunderbolts #1, but I bought those upon release.

If you want to look him up on FB it's Rick's Comic City, he has pictures from the days event. People dressing up, it's very much a micro-con atmosphere in a way. At least how he promotes it.

16. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

FBCD was a zoo at my LCS. People lined up outside the door. I didnt get any of the free books but they did have free hotdogs and cupcakes for a $1 both of which were quite tasty.

In books this week All New X-men continued to be solid, Hulk less so.
    The secret History of Iron Man started and well, not the most exciting story but lets see were they go.
    Iron Man 258.1 was good. Nice to see some armor that actually looks good in a book. Curly haired Tony not so good.
    And that was it. So busy there on Saturday I forgot to pick up Superior Spiderman 9, well it will be there next week.

17. Admiral_Young

I loved Indestructible Hulk...it continues to be my favourite "Marvel Now" book.

18. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like Indestructible Hulk as well. And getting to see Walt Simonson drawing Thor in his classic outfit? Priceless.

19. Turtletrekker

^Agreed completely. As I said when Simonson drew Thor (even in his new outfit) during his recent guest stint on Avengers, I would pay to read a 22-page story of Thor waiting at the laundrymat waiting for his cape to dry if it were drawn by Walt Simonson.

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

You know I just realizes something about the recent Spider-Man stories....

They seem to be basically retreading stories ideas from the 90s that where either abandoned (such as a darker non-quippy Spider-Man which from what I hear of the sells thing people though sucked) or were never done because the writers thought it was a bad idea (such as Mephisto being involved time-travel shenanigans with Spider-Man which from what I heard was thought to be idiotic). heck they even killed Doc Ock again (sort of).

So I'm going to go ahead and guess that next we're going to have a bastardized (if this is even possible) Clone Saga retread.