50th Is "The Day Of The Doctor" (And Is 75 Minutes)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

In The Name Of The Doctor, they made out like a default TARDIS was cylindrical.

Isn't that a picture of SIDRATs ?

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I far prefer the Name of the Doctor versions.

3. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Sort of, but you see the same capsules on the Time Lord homeworld at the end of The War Games (and that's where Christopher's image is from).

4. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Well clearly the cylinders are the shape of the maintenance pods that help contain dimensional expansion and radiation if/as they degrade while not in use when awaiting repair or following their retirement and the rectangular cuboid shape is the actual default shape.

5. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

The same image is on this page, about SIDRATs and their drawer-like doors.

I figure if the Timelords were going to use time capsules in the war, they'd use SIDRATs assuming they're easier to build.

6. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd imagine that different types had different shapes; the box-cupboard looking ones (and the SIDRAT variants) might be newer types than the then ancient Tyep-40.

7. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Scratch that, mis-post.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  8. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Right, the older Tardis versions are probably cylindrical and and maybe that's why you see a bunch in the repair shop. The newer models have the 'draw door' and that is what the War Chief based the Sidrats on.

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I'm always of the opinion that if you're going to bring someone back, bring them back as they were. Otherwise, fans are dissappointed. I'm not the biggest Rose fan (nothing wrong with her) but because Piper is back, best that she just plays Rose.

Mr Awe

11. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, judging by her outfit she is not just tagging along with Ten during their travel days.

12. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

The original cover of Big Finish's Companion Chronicle story The Beginning featured a TARDIS in its original form, looking like a grey pyramid with the seal of Rassilon on the sides. They revised the cover after "The Name of the Doctor" was released to reflect the episode's design.

While the basic cylinder design has its merits, I prefer the pyramid design.

13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Seems GB is having a load of people telling lies in the spoiler threads at the moment.

Probably hoping someone gullible believes them

Some of the rumors

-The Doctor going back to Trenzelore by choice

-The Doctor losing a leg

-The eleventh doctor being the end of The Doctor we've known for 50 years and Capaldi starting a whole new Doctor with fresh set of regeneration

It would account for the 12th doctor and beyond not being in the Trenzelor grave.

-A wooden cyberman head who the doctor takes as a pet and calls "Handles"

-The doctor leaves the Tardis on Trenzelor and Capaldi gets a new one

14. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Hopefully not because a series about a different Time Lord who takes the name Doctor doesn't interest me. The series should continue to follow the original.

However, I'm not worried because comments that Moffat has made implies that the same character continues. The Doctor faces his biggest fear and it plays into his future adventures.

Of course, Moffat lies . . . but no. It'll be the same Doctor and I doubt he'd get a new TARDIS.

Mr Awe

15. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm seeing some discussion of this on Twitter. It seems that the aborted regeneration in "The Stolen Earth" actually counted, so the post-"Stolen Earth" tenth and Hurt when added in would make the thirteen incarnations.

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

A completely insane theory.

So we know that Moffats wants to play around with the fact Capaldi has played 2 characters already(Who and Torchwood).

What if the Doctor seeks out a human who looks like Capaldi and bestows upon him "The Doctor" title

"The name I chose is the Doctor. The name you choose, it's like a promise you make"

Capaldi accepts the honor and in some insane way becomes a new timelord.

To honor the past he becomes "The Doctor". Continuing the tradition

17. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Well there's a shocker...
    I'm guessing any actual spoilers are getting deleted and posters banned, as per usual.

That one's probably true, mind you.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Have to admit, I'm kinda bummed we're not getting the "real" Rose in this special. It would have been cool to see her and Ten interacting one more time.

I'm crossing my fingers that we at least get a brief moment with her before she gets replaced or possessed or whatever by the Bad Wolf version.

19. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Rose?

Somebody remind me again what it is that Zygons do...

20. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

But then the fans will feel cheated! ;)

I, for one, would prefer TARDIS avatar over real Rose, but Zygon Rose would work even better. However, I hate to think of all of the companions The Doctor has had, the TARDIS would pick Rose (Bad Wolf or not).