Pre-Destiny Reading Order question.....

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by MAVEMVP, Jun 25, 2013.

1. MAVEMVP

MAVEMVP Ensign Newbie

I am currently reading most of the ongoing-story books leading into destiny. According to the reading chart done by Thrawn and 8of5, The end of the DS9 part of the Mirror Universe stories. The Soul Key, leads (Partially and Tangentially) into Destiny proper. My question is, will reading Soul Key BEFORE Destiny spoil ANY parts of Destiny? (and i do mean ANY, I want to read Destiny completely spoiler-free).

I know Soul Key's was published Summer '09, but I think it was pushed back because Fearful Symmetry was moved from August '07 to June '08, so I'm thinking that, at worst, Soul Key was being written parallel to Destiny.....input is appreciated

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Destiny has little to do with DS9 in general, because it wasn't clear where the DS9 series would be going when the trilogy was written. And The Soul Key is set several years before Destiny. So there's no spoilage.

3. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

The Soul Key was intended to be published before Destiny; it was delayed because it wasn't done yet. It actually works better if you read Soul Key earlier, in one very minor way.

(Also, I'm glad our flowchart was helpful!)

4. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

If you're saying that you have NO idea what happens in Destiny, then i envy you. It was amazing! I hope you love it as much as all of us seem to :techman:

5. MAVEMVP

MAVEMVP Ensign Newbie

Thanks to all for the input. I am aware of the Storyline of Destiny in only the broadest of strokes. I have spent the last 20 months or so catching up on my 15-year backlog of Trek Novels that have just been there all this time, waiting to be read. I've been through most of the DS9 re-launch books and the A Time to series, as well as the TNG Borg and Q run up books. I am now stepping back a bit, taking in Book 3 of the Terok Nor trilogy, as I gleaned that it would be more enjoyable to finish that story off before Fearful Symmetry, then to finish Symmetry and Soul Key, ENT's Good That Men Do and Kobayashi Maru, A quick side trip to the 3rd Mirror Universe anthology, then on the Destiny!

6. Christopher

Indeed, it wasn't meant to be a separate book at all; originally the story told by Fearful Symmetry and The Soul Key was meant to be just one book. But the story expanded and took longer to complete than expected, so rather than making readers wait another year, editor Marco Palmieri decided to split it into two books.

7. MAVEMVP

MAVEMVP Ensign Newbie

was that a major factor in Fearful Symmetry being delayed?....I seem to recall reading that the manuscript need to be severely overhauled re-written just on its own merits

8. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

There was also the tiny factor of the original author for "Fearful Symmetry" being dropped before the book was published.

9. Christopher

^Not sure "dropped" is the word. From what I was told, at least, it was a mutual decision between the author and editor that the project wasn't working out. So they had to start over with a new author and a new approach.

10. chrinFinity

chrinFinity Captain Captain

After reading Kobayashi Maru, I advise you to read the Romulan War duology before you read Destiny.

11. MAVEMVP

MAVEMVP Ensign Newbie

Well, it's taken me a LOT longer to get through the books I noted prior in the post, as I ended up reading quite a bit more non-fiction over the past year than I had planned, but I am almost at the halfway point of Book 2 of the ENT Romulan Duology, and I just want to thank the person who suggested I append those 2 books to my pre-Destiny reading, as the foreshadowing of Columbia's fate (again, only knowing that that ship plays a role very early on in destiny in the broadest of strokes) adds a bit of mystery.......

P.S The Romulan War books are way more enjoyable than I had anticipated....

12. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

A Time to Be Born
    A Time to Die
    A Time to Sow
    A Time to Harvest
    A Time to Love
    A Time to Hate
    A Time to Kill
    A Time to Heal
    A Time For War, A Time For Peace
    Nemesis movie
    The Next Generation: Death in Winter
    Titan: Taking Wing
    Titan: The Red King
    Articles of the Federation
    Titan: Orion's Hounds
    The Next Generation: Resistance
    The Next Generation: Q&A
    The Next Generation: Before Dishonor
    The Next Generation: Q Are Cordially Uninvited...
    Titan: Sword of Damocles
    The Next Generation: Greater Than the Sum
    I'd add ENT: The Good That Men Do and Kobayashi Maru before jumping into Destiny next

13. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

You could also add Homecoming, The Farther Shore, Old Wounds, Enemy of My Enemy, and Full Circle (most of the first portion, anyway) in before A Time to be Born.

14. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

Whoa, do NOT include Full Circle considering the entire point of this thread is what the OP can read without being spoiled on Destiny.

15. Enterprise1701

That's why I said the first part. It takes place entirely prior to Destiny.

16. apollo1984

apollo1984 Commander Red Shirt

I started my pre destiny read from nemeses movie but before them I suppose you could read a time to series but then I have done/doing:
    A death in winter
    Taking wing
    Red king
    Resistance
    Q&A
    Orion's hounds
    Before dishonour
    Sword of damocles
    Greater than the sum
    The good that men do
    Kobayshi maru
    Articles of the federation (I know in most timelines this could come sooner but it does covers a long period of time)
    Destiny.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  17. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, Full Circle really needs to be read after Destiny.

18. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

Yeah, we're talking about a reading list, it doesn't make any sense to put parts of a book on a reading list

19. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I would also agree with that, since the first part wraps up a storyline that was started in the Christine Golden Voyager novels, and brings that era of Voyager to a close before getting into the Destiny and Post-Destiny era.

I wouldn't really include those books on a list of "Must read" Pre-Destiny stories. They're Enterprise books (unless with Kobayashi Maru you are talking about the Julia Ecklar novel from the 80's, which doesn't belong on the list either), and, as I remember, most of what happens with the Columbia crew in those books is mentioned in Destiny to bring people up to date with what Columbia was doing in the Romulan War in case they had only been reading the TNG books.

20. Enterprise1701

I've read it, and I find no problem in reading Part 1, then Destiny, then Part 2.