Help Shanna to get her cat!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Xip, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Xip

Xip Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

first of all; my sincere apologies if this thread is against the rules, but I couldn't specifically find anything in the rules about this type of threads. Feel free to close and/or delete if it's in violation of any rule.

Okay, that being said, this is what this thread is really about.

My uncle promised my cousin Shanna that if she got 500.000 likes on facebook, she can buy herself a cat. (She lives at her parents home, so yes, she needs their permission to get a cat.) To 'help' her he posted a picture of the kitten she wants and announced she needed the likes to get the cat. But here's the thing: Only his friends can like this picture, so assuming all his friends would want to help my cousin, she's still 499.878 short.

To solve this problem we started a Facebook community page this morning and now we're really looking for your support! Help us beat my uncle and her dad at his own game. In the last two hours we managed to get over 60 likes and that's great, but obviously not enough.

Thanks in advance for your support!

https://www.facebook.com/Helpshanna

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

500,000 likes?!!?

And people thought the 300 sandwiches and we'll get wed guy was harsh!

3. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And then once the page reaches 500,000 'likes' it is then sold off to some ad-agency, amirite?

However, if genuine, the idea that this kitten's future is being arbitrarily decided via Facebook 'likes' is appalling. Either you want a cat in your household or you don't.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where is this cat from? Where is it right now?

5. Xip

We already found a fun use for the page if we ever get it to 500.000 likes, We'll just call it the Leah (the name of the kitten) fanpage and use it to keep people updated.

6. Xip

This cat currently lives at the breeders home, she was born september 18th, so she's still really young. This is the site of the breeder: http://www.catterykoordes.nl/leah.htm

7. teacake

You'd be better getting a cat or kitten from the pound.

That one will be bought by someone, go get one that has less chance of a home.

8. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep. I don't agree with breeding animals for money. There are loads of kitties in shelters desperately needing a home.

9. Xip

I agree with you, but it's not going to be my cat, I'm just helping out my cousin since I know a lot more about how facebook works and I reach out to some networks I'm in. I'm just being a good cousin. Please don't vaporize me. ;)

10. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Half a million 'likes'. Absurd.

11. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

people should get a cat because they want a cat, not because of some transient interweb attention-whoring.

12. Chensams

Chensams Vice Admiral Admiral

That is just plain stupid. Their life or choices in life shouldn't be dictated by how many "likes" they get on the interwebs. Your uncle isn't setting a good example for his daughter.

13. Lt.Juliet

Lt.Juliet Ensign Red Shirt

The uncle doesn't think she would get those numbers, right?

Like: "yes you get it when, hell freezes over."

14. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree, "when you get half a million Likes" is the new "when hell freezes over."

15. Xip

Yeah, that's what he thought, and that's where the challenge lies for me. I'd like to see hell freezes over.

I mean, I don't think it will happen, but I'd like to try. And honnestly? Me and my cousin are having a great time trying to beat the half million likes.

16. teacake

If it was 5000 sure, maybe after a huge amount of whoring the page out you might get that.

Just to give you an idea how impossible this is..

https://www.facebook.com/williamshatner

303,000. Good thing he doesn't want a cat!

17. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I don't and won't do Facebook. Sorry.

18. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Not to be a downer...but I work at a pretty highly public kids game company and we only have 70,000 likes. Her parents must have made it 500,000 so that she couldn't get the cat. Sounds mean to me. :( But yeah I'll like the page.

19. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Sorry. Don't use Facebook. My most popular video on YouTube has been up about 22 months and has only 13k views with just 68 likes. Good luck.

20. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

If it gets some attention... it might get 500000 likes because some people think her parents are butts.
    My parents used my first cat as a carrot. "Graduate from kindergarten and we'll get you a cat." I got my cat.