The All-New DALLAS!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2012.

1. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

They've got six more episodes to air this season. I think it's a bit early to say something like that. I'm fine waiting to see how the season plays out before judging it entirely.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Good news. I was expecting that any day now. And 15 episodes. That's good too. I figured that a second season order would have more episodes. Anywhere between 13 and 20+.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think what we've seen so far is pretty indicative of what this season will be like - and the JR's Greatest Hits video you posted exemplifies what the show needs to do, if it's ever going to be any better, namely groom at least one of its younger characters (John Ross being the obvious candidate) to become a vortex of dramatic action.

JR's obnoxious arrogance, schemes and continual attacks on other characters provided that vortex in the olden days. John Ross doesn't need to mimic that, precisely - probably couldn't - but he needs to have some element that propels the drama forward. It could be insane ambition, or insanely trying to win Elena back (even though she doesn't love him) or something else. The younger characters are too bland. Elena could also stand to become more like Pam, with a forceful personality in her own right.

4. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The youngsters just don't have the charisma to carry a show, but as long as the old farts are around the writers should have something they can use.

5. Temis the Vorta

If the writing were better, the actors might not seem so dull. Larry Hagman can make something out of nothing, but it's unfair to expect every actor to be capable of that kind of juju. Just look at how bad Patrick Duffy looks, with this dullsville writing - nobody except Hagman is coming off well. And at the risk of sounding morbid, at Hagman's age, the producers had better not depend entirely on him for the show's survival.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wasn't sure if the show was so clumsily written that the perfect metaphor materialized to illustrate a vital point that coincided magically with a cow dying and Metcalfs girl trouble.

Or...

Did Bobby lie. He faked the birthing issues, and killed a perfectly healthy cow to make a point, and his kid was so witless he didn't notice.

7. Temis the Vorta

Hmm, Kristen supposedly died while falling into the Southfork pool, in a drug-addled state, right?

Or did Bobby have a hand in it? ;)

8. doubleohfive

J.R.! Who Do You Think You Are?

This gem of a song is performed by Howard Keel (who played Miss Ellie's second husband Clayton Farlow, on the original series), from a Dallas-themed album that was released in the '80s. Someone (not me) went and cut a video to it on YouTube.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saNLP64md78[/yt]

I love that last lyric! :lol:

9. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ I bought that album for my mother way back when. :rommie:

Jenilee Harrison has a song on there, too. "I'm A Survivor," I think it's called-- kind of ironic, considering how her character ended up.

10. doubleohfive

I found it last year on some obscure website, just a list of all the mp3s. Jenilee Harrison did do a song on it, as did Steve Kanaly. Pretty fun lineup altogether, actually.

EDIT: Here you go, RJ!

http://www.ultimatedallas.com/dallasmusicstory/

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  11. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Ann (to J.R.): In my wildest imagination, I never thought you could stoop to this.

J.R.: Well Annie, you're just gonna have to work on your imagination.

Another classic J.R. line right there.

12. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Love that Christopher is growing a pair. Have to say the plot lines are all moving along quickly. Didn't expect the wife to be exposed till, like, next season.

13. Guy Gardener

But all his growing a pair means is that he's yelling at the wrong people.

That poor girl. :(

JR barely does more than whisper and the worlds explode.

Okay, so maybe Christopher 'tricked" his way into finding dirt on John Ross but those people he duped need to be fired for gross negligence. I've been at jobs that information has to remain confidential and you do not tell people shit who just walk in off the street.

John Ross has JR's power of attorney.

He can just sell the land back to Bobby for a dollar.

And considering how he was fucked over by his pappy, I assumed that that was what he was going to do before Christopher started with the blackmail.

"Pappy, I didn' have to win this one, you just had to lose."

14. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

This particular world - "Dallas" - couldn't exist without him.

He is THE MAN.

And, of course, he's friends with Jerry Jones.

That explains bunches.

15. wissaboo

that poor girl? She may be in love with christopher but I think she is in to this up to her neck.

and I'm glad Elena isn't letting him off the hook.

16. Guy Gardener

Oh no.

I was talking about Elena, when he's all posturing forcing 20,000 dollars on her like she's a whore.

17. wissaboo

He was trying to establish there was nothing between them but business, and as such he was compensating her for her expertise. I agree he could have been a little nicer about it, but from a business standpoint paying her was the right thing to do.

18. doubleohfive

Christopher's being so rude to Elena was also a way for him to push her away so he wouldn't be tempted to resume his love affair with her - he loves Rebecca and chose her, but also knew enough about himself and Elena that having their closeness resurrected would only make things more difficult and tempting for both of them.

I haven't seen episode 5 yet, so that may all have changed. But that was the impression I got when I saw the scene with him paying her off.

19. wissaboo

that was how I read it too. He was burning his bridges.

;) you need to watch this weeks. All the shit hits the fan

20. Guy Gardener

From a business point of view all he had to give her was a dollar.

Maybe I'm just not seeing as much depth to the character as y'all are.