WIP - TMP Enterprise, deck by deck

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by CTM, May 12, 2009.

1. CTM

CTM Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh, I agree that I can make it fit. Just the current state of my model, I have to lower it a meter or so and it will fit fine - and probably line up sufficiently with the nacelle pylons. Of course, the corridor leading forward cannot fit under virtually any circumstances; I made the choice to disregard it, and move on.

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Agreed. I don't know what they were thinking when they put that long corridor in front of Engineering. IIRC, I think they actually got rid of it by the time TWOK came around (or at least kept that door closed). Someone caught it a bit too late.

3. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Ah...so not a huge change.

4. CTM

Ok... couldn't resist making some progress on H-deck while working on some other things as well.

[​IMG]

I have installed the air-locks, but have not yet installed the phaser-banks, though the rooms are there. You can see in green the outline of the details of the deck in 2-d, upon which I am basing the model.

5. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

This is fantastic.
    It's the Deck where Spock leaves the ship in Motion Picture.
    Many thought these were landing pads.

Intresting note. The Galaxy has the same sort of portals for the saucer cargo bays, which shell open to reveal the actual preasure doors behind what we commonly see on the set.

Is this all solid model or is there a combination here?

6. CTM

It is all solid model. I hate working with meshes alone. I build everything out of solids - much easier to work with (though some curves are much more difficult to implement)

7. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Hmm. That means that afteryou're done you might have one of the most accurate estimation of the constitution's mass by using "massprop" command.

We know that the ships were made of duranium & Tritanium.
    Tritanium was 21.4 harder than diamond.
    Well perhaps the best speculative estimated.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  8. CTM

Good news everyone! Just spent a small fortune on a new workstation, and will shortly be upgrading my AutoCAD from R13 to something more modern (probably AutoCAD 2000). With my new 64-bit system and a more modern version of AutoCAD, I should be able to get things done faster; and be able to better model some aspects of this ship. (Yes, I know I'll still be running a 32-bit app, but with 12GB of system memory, I should be able to let the app use up to 4GB without any problem).

Probably be another week or two before I get things ready to roll on the new system, and get the model transferred between AutoCAD versions.

9. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aw, crap, now I have even more reason to go spend too much money on my own upgrade! :klingon:

10. CTM

:lol::guffaw:

11. CTM

while I wait for my new system to finish formatting my 3TB RAID, I tried hiding lines on my G-deck wireframe (just G-deck). Heap stack overflow. Oh well, there's a reason I'm upgrading Hardware, OS, and App. Here's my in-progress G-deck wireframe.

[​IMG]

12. FrontLine

FrontLine Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut Admiral

Um you might want to check on version compatibility between AutoCAD and 64 Bit processors. IIRC 2008 was the first version that worked on / was designed for 64 bit processors. If thats out of your league, try to shoot for 2004 at least. The changes between 00 and 04 were tremendous.

13. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

The Epic continues.

14. CTM

It works!!! Yippe!

I installed WINE (32-bit) under my CENTOS 5.3 (64-bit) OS today, and then installed my newly acquired copy of AutoCAD 2000 (took some registry editing to get it to report as WinNT4SP3). Running on a 2.6GHz Core i7 with 12GB RAM it runs SO much better (though the commands are taking some getting used to). It was able to render the whole model in (relatively) short time - and without a Heap Stack overflow!

So, here is the work as it exists to date:
    [​IMG]

15. dougkeenan

dougkeenan Commander Red Shirt

Wow! Looks great. How long for a render?

16. CTM

I don't know for sure. I started it rendering, then went to dinner. When we came home a couple hours later it was done.

On my old system, with R13, only doing the secondary and neck, it would take a few hours. Once I started on the saucer, it had grown too large to render (you can look back and see when I stopped rendering the whole model) without hitting a heap-stack overflow and closing.

17. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

12 Gigs of ram...
    wow

18. CTM

To be fair, I built it to be a File Server, host multiple VMs, and run AutoCAD and Blender (all at the same time). I may have overbuilt for now, but I won't do much in the way of upgrades for a long while. All my older systems were much older technology (Pentium 4's at best, IDE drives, etc.), so if I was going to move to new technology, I needed to either buy two good systems (one for myself and one for my wife - who is also a computer person), or buy one REALLY GOOD system that we can use simultaneously from remote systems (what the Virtual Machines - I love VMware Server - are for) and the local system. Eventually, I'm going to implement a Dual Head Interface (It appears to require some kernel mods) so that two people can be logged into X at the same time from two different keyboard-mouse-monitor heads. I'm not quite there yet with the configuration. It may be a bit of a mainframe style configuration, but for most things our older Pentium 4 laptops are sufficient, and the new things we can run remotely on the new computer.

19. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Every time I see that phrase, my mind immediately snaps back to the old movie/cartoon stereotype of American Indians! :lol:

20. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Amazing though what AutoCAD can do when it's given a world of power. I've become a believer in the 3D too. All my work projects will from now on be produced in 3D and 2D sideby side to judge potential conflicts.

This project of yours, Enterprise Deck by Deck has convinced me of the necessity.

I'm also looking for an upgrade on my computer at home. Perhaps I should have the bad boy built and apparently built like a server.