Doctor Who set/on location reports thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

In other words, the Soviet Union.

2. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

You must've missed Destiny Of The Daleks then. ;)

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I never said a thing about logic. Logical thought allows for alternative possibilities. Dalek thought is fanatical, and fanatical minds are extremely narrow and rigid. And since Daleks kill off anyone who doesn't conform exactly, they'd end up being a whole bunch of fanatical rage maniacs who pretty uniformly agree about how to act out their rage -- basically a permanent floating lynch mob. When the single overriding thought in every Dalek's mind is "EXTERMINATE EVERYONE EXCEPT US," there's not going to be a lot to disagree about.

4. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Ha! No, I just disagree with it!!

Mr Awe

5. Mr Awe

I see what you're saying. I just think that minds with fanatical rage are less predictable. And, if they're less predictable, they're less likely to be consistent with each other because that's a form of predictability.

My sense is all that rage needs a firm ruler to keep it all under control or else it'll spin out of control and into anarchy.

But, I'll be the first to agree that the portrayal of the Daleks has changed greatly during it's run (see Destiny and the Daleks for example with its focus on logic).

So, maybe the parliament is supposed to be the next stage in their evolution, but it didn't sit right with me.

Mr Awe

6. Christopher

Yeah, "Destiny" was weird. Up to then, Nation had always painted the Daleks as driven by hate and paranoia, not cold logic.

7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I chalk that up to being buried in "Genesis" with a lot of time on their tentacles, and improving computers. It dulled them a bit.

On a side note-- "Day of the Daleks"

Nicholas Briggs did a good job redubbing the voices--but in some ways, I liked the softer tone to the Dalek voices. They had everything their way in that alternate timeline. It makes more sense for their tones to get harsher and more insane over time.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think it's just a word being used slightly out of context. Rooks and Owls have parliaments but you don't see them with rosettes on...

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

But do rooks and owls also have Prime Ministers?

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Curse your Vulcan logic...

:shifty:

11. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doesn't seem like that much of a contradiction. They're hateful and paranoid in their reaction to other species. Then go on to enslave or exterminate them in a cold, logical manner.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  12. Mr Awe

They just weren't presented as logical computers at all before Destiny. Remember, they've got a biological mutant at their core!

Mr Awe

13. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Back on topic. I'm wondering if shooting on the season is finished? Location filming for the finale was a couple weeks ago now; I'm guessing that typically for this sort of show they'll do location first and then studio, so if they're not done then they'll be soon.

I'm curious as to when they'll have wrapped on the season at this point. Peter Capaldi will start a road trip to promote the show in early August, and I'm sure SOMEONE currently active on the show will be at Comic-Con in San Diego this month, right?

Mark

14. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought they said there would not be a DW panel at Comicon? Or am I mistaken?

15. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're right:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-07/04/doctor-who-cardiff-premiere

I suppose that they'd rather put their funds into flying around for the world tour instead of a one-off in San Diego, especially given that they'll be stopping once in New York already.

In any case, if location shooting for the finale is done, I guess WE'RE done seeing any Capaldi & Coleman out and about in costume for a few months at least. Unless Peter does some of his world tour in costume, and it certainly seems like he's the type to do so...

Mark

16. Christopher

Right. Their whole deal is that they aren't robots, they're twisted little creatures that are so xenophobic about the rest of the universe that they live their entire lives sealed up inside individual, armed and armored tanks. Which is a pretty terrific metaphor, when you think about it.

17. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You want to know something painful? I can literally see Cardiff through my living room window. So close yet so far. :(

18. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, forget that, GL. Had an interview for a job in the IPC tower a few years back. Turned out they were filming Runaway Bride on the roof at the time, but as my intereview was with TV Times they'd made very sure they didn't know...

19. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ouch, Well at least it wasn't a very good episode. :)

20. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Great episode. Introduced the best companion ever. One who wouldn't stare doey eyed at the Doctor, who wouldn't take his stupid grinning.

Breath of fresh air after Rose.