S.C.E. Novels

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Marika, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Marika

Marika Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So I heard about USS DA VINCI around the Destiny trilogy and liked a lot the cameos we had about her crew .

it is true that they stopped writing novellas for this ship? Why"? There is a chance we will have them back ?

The short stories are just awesome ! I just started the omnibus HAVE TECH WILL TRAVEL and i am at the 4th story in it :)

2. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Normally, I'd say don't hold your breath. And I still think that it's very unlikely.

But with novels being released under the Deep Space Nine banner again, and a new New Frontier novel coming, who knows.

3. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, the last eBook was published in late 2007.

From the final part of a three part article I wrote in 2010:

Never say never, but I think it is highly unlikely (sadly).

4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The SCE books wit the Davinci crew are great stories. I've read several of the story collections .I really liked the ones I finished reading recently.:)

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Unless they get substantially better later in the run, I can't agree. I made a concerted effort to read through them in order, but ran out of steam / interest around e-story 25 or 26, during Breakdowns in the paperback versions.

There were very few decent entries up to that point. Very few.

6. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

To each their own, I guess. I enjoyed them and was disappointed when they ended. I'd love to se IDW do a series of comics with the SCE crew.

7. Marika

Thank you guys :) for the quick replies .

8. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Not everything's been that quiet with the da Vinci crew since 2007. We did get to see a little of what they were up to in the "Cold Equations" trilogy.

But it would be nice to see the last few Corps Of Engineers books get published in paperback. That might be a good tester to see if there's interest in the series.

9. Marika

Indeed Tomswift , especially that we have Renan Konya who was on daVinci and now is on the Enterprise and Nancy Conlon who is the CEO of Voyager and the authors always were happy to give some insights of their life on daVinci . Yes that ship deserves more attention :)

10. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I've just ordered HAVE TECH WILL TRAVEL :)

11. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    For me personally, I was able to make it to Book 4 before I ran out of steam.

12. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

S.C.E. books were ahead of their time, since they were originally released as e-book novellas. I believe if there were a series like this now, it would be more successful since people have e-readers now. I enjoyed them, but had to buy the paperback reprints back then. Of course, now I would just be able to purchase the ebook. :)

13. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked S.C.E. a lot, even before I got to write for it. I think that, like a lot of tv series (Firefly, Buffy, and SG-1 come to mind), the strength of the characters was often able to carry me through a story with so-so plotting. Soloman was my favorite.

14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Despite thinking they had more misses than hit's, there's nothing rong with the premise or characters. I'd be more than happy with a new run or the ship/cast guesting regularly like the Aventine...

15. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I wish amazon had ported my old .lit MS Reader files to Kindle. A lot of the SCE books I had bought I can't even access anymore.

16. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of My favorite stories from the SCE books is the Prequel story about building the Vanguard station and the mystery about the Taurus sector. It introduces Commender Reyes and his crew that appear in the Vanguard books. It's the reason I got interested in the Vanguard books.:) I also like the SCE/Ds9 crossover during the time of the Avatar books with Nog and him having to deal with Commander Duffy's bigotry of him being a Ferengi and ignoring his experetise as an engineer while trying to remove Empok Nor's reactor.And Nog calling him on the carpet for his bigotry.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, Distant Early Warning came out about 9 months after Harbinger.

18. vegaslover62

vegaslover62 Commander Red Shirt

Once again, we have a user who is indulging in the curious habit of thinking that, just because they're interested in reading something, it qualifies them to assert from their armchair that it will be profitable for the publisher.

19. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Well, I think they are overall great short stories and I'd love for them to come back.

20. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I am still waiting for the rest to be published in paper.