Post here if you actually loved this movie!!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Matt S, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt S

Matt S Lieutenant Red Shirt

Post here if you actually loved this movie!! SPOILERS!!!! -

Am I the only one thinking I came out of a kickbutt, awesome film?

I think we need a positive thread section cause all the old trek nerds are going NUTS with their nerd rage

I really thought it was well done in almost every way - actually could have used a little more from the villian storyline

Can some not enjoy this on its own merits, without having to constantly rate it with the other movies?

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  2. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I loved it and have no complaints. If anything I would have made it a little longer.

3. DavidLeeRoth

DavidLeeRoth Lieutenant Red Shirt

I thought that it was pretty good. I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars. The last great Trek film was FC, IMHO.

4. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved it, yes.

5. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

No, you're certainly not alone. I think a thread for those of us who weren't blown away by it would be more appropriate - we're the minority, not you.

It's strange. I mean, look at the rating on rotten tomatoes; by all accounts, I should have loved it. I went in expecting to love it; I left deflated and disappointed. I thought ST09, while not without it's flaws, was a decent flick. It seems as though you were all invited to a party and had a blast. Which sucks, because I normally get invited to those parties and have a blast myself. So, it's a real WTF? feeling when you look around the forum and find yourself in disagreement with a lot of people you would normally concur with.

Regarding any nerd rage, I'm short on that - sorry. None of my quibbles have been with any violation of "the.... CANNNONN!!!!!" They want to beam to another star system with secret tech - cool. Picard and co. thought themselves to the other side of the Universe and beyond in TNG Season 1. Whatever. Or Ricardoblany-cumber... khanny-or rather comparisons. Don't care.

6. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Commodore Commodore

This is me. I really liked ST09 and did a lot of defending of it to my actual nerdraged friends -- who were pretty few and far between. I saw some weaknesses, and some challenges, but was pretty confident that Orci & Abrams would learn and overcome them in Star Trek XII. And then... they didn't. In my opinion, anyway. It started out strong and then sputtered -- not because they made Harrison be Khan, but because they lost all thematic coherence around the time Harrison was revealed to be Khan. And that made me sad.

Still a fun movie. The acting was really, really terrific all around, even when the script was not supporting them. I'll see it again -- probably twice more. But I don't expect to pull it off a shelf in 15 years and stick it in the Holo-ray Player or whatever we're using for DVDs by that point.

So, yeah... no nerd-rage here, either. Just a frowny face and mild surprise that so many others thought it was a "kickbutt, awesomee film". Maybe I'll see it differently on second viewing.

7. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Loved every second! :bolian:

8. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Will see it again several times--Cumberkhan was great!

9. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i just got back from it. I loved the crap out of it. My favorite thing in this was Pine. He NAILED James T. Kirk. I loved his whole arc in this movie; he finally earned the chair. I didn't mind the "stealing" from TWOK. I felt it was an hommage, and i loved the way it was executed. In fact, i loved how Khan was used in this alternate reality. Seeing what would happen had starfleet gotten their hands on him, and used his intellect. Only two minor nitpicks i have are: (1) The Klingons. While it was neat seeing them this time around, they just felt shoehorned in. (2) The ending felt so abrupt to me. I was also hoping for more of a beauty pass as Pine read the famous "These are the voyages,,,," lines. I loved the new warp effect.

10. Nameless Crewman

Nameless Crewman Captain Captain

I just watched it and loved it. Better than the first IMHO. Now that they are going on a five year mission I wonder if they can do such a good job with less action, something along the lines of The Cage or Balance of Terror or even a Forbidden Planet type of story. Action is nice but my mind wants a mystery to solve, ya know what I mean?

11. 7thsealord

7thsealord Captain Captain

Watched it. Thought it was GREAT. Will happily see again whenever possible.

12. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved it so much that I'm already planning a second viewing this weekend!

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

You need to put SPOILERS in the title as several have already referenced a major spoiler in this thread.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, how can you have loved it if you haven't seen it?

Fucking brilliant. One of the two best Star Trek movies.

15. Matt S

Ok, Spoilers added to subject line - thanks. Ok, random things: I went in wanting to hate CumberKhan cause he was white - in retrospect, I was being foolish. Cumberpatch was fucking brilliant as he-who-shall-not-be-named, or something like that.

Pine - I never thought of him & the Shat in the same sentence, cause PINE's kirk is a way more giving presence - he will share credit whereas Shat's Kirk was a Steamroller. Just different takes. One has a huge ego, one doesn't

My one issue with the movie: Spock Prime's hair - it was white 4 years ago, now almost normal color....WTF? Spock dying his hair. That was a really weird error

16. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Post here if you actually loved this movie!! SPOILERS!!!! -

I loved it. Just came home from seeing it. And, I like your avatar :)

17. Matt S

Thanks! Last bit for me tonight: thought the new warping effect was pretty awesome

18. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just watched that episode last night, too... :) the only thing I didn't like about this movie is (and this is not much of a spoiler) is the continuous use of repeated stuff from older films. Superman Returns did this and I don't know why it has to be done... but they didn't do much of it in this film so it was cool !

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's really a pity that CBS apparently bobbled the whole merchandising thing and spurred Abrams to move on to Star Wars. This movie proves that he had the potential to transform the shape of the whole Franchise for the better.

Asswipes. With management thinking like that, the best - and somewhat likely - thing that can happen to Trek is that at some point a staggering CBS sells its then underperforming share of Star Trek to Paramount for some needed cash.

20. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Ok, Admiral Buzzkill I see what you did there with your sig, lol!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.