A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does she survive the book's version of The Red Wedding?

2. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

Talisa is a replacement on the television show for Jeyne Westerling. Jeyne was not present at the Red Wedding, having stayed behind at Riverrun, and survives.

Replacing the character and killing her off in the television show probably means that Jeyne will play no important role in the rest of the book series.

3. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She doesn't exist in the books. In the books Robb married Jeyne Westerling a daughter of one Lord Westerling one of the Lannister bannermen. When Robb's forces took the Westerling's keep Robb was wounded and she nursed his wound...He found out his brothers were killed by Theon and they slept together which is pretty much what happened in the TV series.

In the books she never accompanies Robb to the "Red Wedding" and remained with her family. There is no pregnancy in the books as well, although fans continue to speculate that she secretly carries Robb's heir even though there's not any evidence.

In fact I would say the fact that Talisa (Jeyne's replacement for the show) has died with any possible heir to Robb dying with her that means it's unlikely any book storyline involving an heir of Robb Stark by his Queen will occur.

4. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Captain Captain

Big question in my mind: will we have the third wedding in the season finale?

5. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope. Too much to do before then. I'd say it'll come in the 3rd or 4th episode next year, the climax of the preview package sent out to critics.

6. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, GoT seems to put its "big gut punch" climax episode as the penultimate one of a given season, leaving the final episode as a denouement/coda to wrap up some straggling story lines, show some reaction to the climax and set up some pertinent cliffhangers for the next season. They did the same thing first season by killing Ned Stark in episode 9, "Baelor", and again last year with "Blackwater" - although that one, despite its amazing wildfire and battle scenes, didn't generate nearly as much buzz or viewership because it was aired during Memorial Day Weekend. This is why they postponed "Rains of Castamere" by a week. And boy-howdy, did this one ever generate some buzz... :eek:

7. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

GRRM has written episode 4.02, so that might be the PW. A major character death two episodes into the season would be pretty awesome.
    Episode 9 will either be the battle at the wall or Oberyn vs. The Mountain. Tyrion killing Tywin will most likely conclude the season.

What interests me the most is how they'll handle Bran's story. he will meet Sam next week, so they have already covered all of Bran's chapters in ASoS. Which leaves them with three(?) more Bran chapters from book five to fill 2-3 seasons with. I have absolutely no idea how they are going to pull that off.

8. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see them holding Tywin's death until the end of the season. As 137th Gebirg says, the big event is usually in episode nine, with the finale doing smaller shock reveals that set up new arcs (Lysa's death, maybe Tyrion's meeting with Illyrio if they don't want to leave his destination a mystery). The Oberyn/Mountain fight would have to come earlier than episode nine and isn't really an "event" so much as a set piece featuring secondary characters. The timing of the Wall story is trickier to work out, but I imagine Stannis will have arrived before episode nine anyway, since before the end of the season they need to play out Stannis' offer to legitimize Jon, the debate over the new Lord Commander, and Jon's eventual election.

I always figured they might do all the Bran chapters from Storm in season three. Season four can stretch the two beyond-the-Wall chapters from early in Dance, ending with his reaching Bloodraven, and then season five can be all about the single chapter where he's in training, which actually covers a lot of time and significant narrative ground.

9. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Eh, the show has been fucked since day one as they're gonna have to run out of matrial eventully as there's no way GRRM will finish the book series in time for when the show catches up.

10. Venardhi

He doesn't need to finish. Just have enough worked out to hand them an outline to base their scripts on.

11. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

Um. I hope, despite D&D knowing roughly where George is taking the story, they just do their own thing when they get to the ending, out of respect for the book readers to let us see the story end the way George intends it to end from fresh eyes. Just cause a couple people online spoil TV people doesn't mean the show itself has to spoil fans!

12. Venardhi

That is a terrible idea. Just don't watch if you don't want to know what happens, it'll be different from what ends up in the book either way. You can't just slap a different ending on it an expect it'll be anywhere near as good as the ending that was intended from the start.

13. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Judging by the quality of AFFC and ADWD, I think I prefer the show's treatment of the story, however blasphemous it might sound.

14. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, I'm hoping they do some major editing of those two. I mean, is anyone really going to care if Quentyn Martell and his Pointless Storyline of Pointlessness is cut from the show entirely?

15. Shurik

Or the entire Dorne plot, for that matter.

16. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And the Ironborn. No one needs that stupid horn anyway.

17. Venardhi

You say that based on how great their original storylines have been on the show so far I assume? Dany's plot in season 2 was a nearly complete waste of time and Talisa was just a quick way of giving Robb a wife so they could skip actually having to give him a plot.

18. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Quentyn's story isn't pointless in the books, and it's not even one of the prime offenders in being overlong for its narrative relevance (hello twelve chapters of Tyrion getting kicked around the map of Essos), but it's something they might well want to remove for the show. On the other hand, it's about a twenty-something male, and Benioff and Weiss seem to think those are the most important characters in the story, so who knows?

My only worry about the show's approach to Feast and Dance is that it might try to spruce up storylines rather than compress them, as with Daenerys in season 2. That wasn't pretty.

19. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, but also how they've handled the existing stories. One of the great benefits of Game of Thrones as a TV series is it never feels the need to spend ages explaining what people are wearing or what they're eating, or focus on the vagaries of their traveling itinerary. For most of the narrative it's cut right to the meat of the subject - and there is perhaps an interesting story for Jon and Dany - and maybe even Tyrion, though that's doubtful - lost somewhere beneath the tome of words.

20. Shurik

Still better than whatever Brienne, Sam, every Dornish POV, Tyrion, Dany, Quentyn and everyone in Essos did in AFFC and ADWD. I'd rather have them invent another Talisa than keep any of those plotlines on the show.