Captain Worf

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Rulius, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm on the fence about this. On the one hand, YAY! More Trek! On the other hand, what is there left new to do or discover with Worf that hasn't been done already?

So the idea of using Worf as the focal point for a new series doesn't exactly feel me with a great deal of enthusiasm or excitement.

Plus, again with the Klingons? Maye he can find some Borg to fight. That's an idea that's never been done.

I do agree though, that like most of the TNG characters not named Data or Picard, Worf drew the short end of the stick when it came to screen time in the movies. In most instances, you can cut him out of the movies and not really disrupt the overall flow of the narrative.

This does sort of feel like the Sulu series idea that floated around for a long time and eventually went no where. I don't expect it will likely go anywhere...but if it does, I'll likely tune in and give it a chance.

2. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

I couldn't agree more with all that you wrote, my friend. While Data did get more screen time in Generations (even more than Riker!), it was wasted time. First Contact holds up because the characters were written, directed and acted well. I liked Insurrection and I agree with the many who say it was more of an episode than an epic film; I prefered the episodes over the films so it appealed to me. Nemesis has some great moments, although some were in deleted scenes. Over all, though, the film lacked because the characters were far too often written and directed out of character. Picard never responded quite the way I would've expected him to. Riker wasn't bad nor was Deana, but Geordi actually gave up when the transporters blew. Has he ever given up in a crisis?? Based on how well he worked for Riker in the Briar Patch in Insurrection, I fully expected Geordi to be chosen by Will as his XO on the Titan. B4 was a mess as one pair of clones was more than enough. Beverly barely had screen time and this should've been the film for him and Beverly to get together finally. Worf got to mumble something about honor. BFD. Humor is not easy in TNG. Frakes gets it but Baird certainly didn't.

3. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I would have to agree. I'm really pretty 'meh' towards the concept.

Worf was a decent character but on TV he was used and used and used to the point where there really isn't much more that can be explored with him. He was never my favourite character, but he was well written and acted and definately helped to beef out the Klingons. But they've been done to death (even B'Elanna "I hate everything Klingon" Torres somehow shifted to being a supporter and hanging a bat'leth in her quarters).

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Um... Worf let abandoned not only his mission during a war, but let a vital contact die. That's a pretty big screw up and one he was lucky he didn't get court martialed over.

Is it understandable? Sure... excusable? No.

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Water under the bridge. By now (2389), Worf likely has more than made up for that perhaps several times over and has saved countless lives since then.
    Nah, Worf probably does have his own command right now.

6. Bry_Sinclair

Until proven otherwise on screen, I like to think that Worf was still the Federation Ambassador to the Klingon Empire and was only back in uniform for his brief trip to the E-E for the Troi's wedding. After the E-E returned to Earth for repairs, he departed back to Qo'nos to continue his career as a diplomat. :)

7. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Since Worf was wasted in Nemesis I just wish they had stuck him in Klingon clothes and called him ambassador. Putting him back in a uniform was annoying without giving a reason why. Granted it's all about appealing to new or casual viewers but I think they have to give something to the fans too.

I liked the idea of Worf as ambassador, and Worf as first officer (hello, Titan anyone?) or having a command of his own a lot more than what they did to him in Nemesis.

8. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Better still, Captain Worf of the Titan. Will Riker is killed one week into Titan's maiden cruise and Worf assume command, he also finds time to "comfort" the widow Troi.

What are friends for.

:)

9. Bry_Sinclair

I wish they'd done more with the Worf/Troi romance.

10. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Speaking of Troi and the Titan, I wonder what ship he would get. I doubt it would be the Titan with that clearly being Rikers ship and I don't entirely buy him as CO of the Enterprise...I barely even buy him as XO of the Enterprise.

I could see him getting the Defiant, sort of a continuation of what we briefly saw in First Contact and then later during the war. Plus, canonically, the state of the Defiant is unresolved, so they could give him the ship and do some stories even before Nemesis.

A new ship perhaps? Something fitting his warrior nature.

Who's to say he even gets a Starfleet ship. Perhaps Martok gives him a Bird of Prey to go handle some diplomatic mission, the captain is killed and Worf is forced to step up and take command.

Who knows really. What I'm wondering though, is if they do go with a Starfleet ship, what 24th century sets do they even still have in storage. Weren't most of them destroyed/scrapped or sold. Would they really go to the trouble of rebuilding an entire set for one film? Maybe they go all green screen. With a good budget you can get good results, but if done on the cheap it can often look bad.

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Will this be the new Worf project?
    http://youtu.be/0dfhWr9l1NI

Maybe not:
    http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/update-star-trek-captain-worf-michael-dorn.html

Yes, but nowhere has it been said that this is anything more than a fanfilm.

Elaborate sets get made for single movies all the time. ;)

The ST sets are unique in that set structures built in 1978 were still in use at the end of "Voyager" in early 2001.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  12. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

one key difference from the Sulu series is that Michael Dorn is, I think, a more well networked and active part of the filmaking world, which, other than a klingon sized wad of cash, is what makes things happen.....now, Worf as Captain of a presumably starfleet ship is indeed an aspect barely explored - there is a lot of potential there...Worf conflicting with his crew, taking much bolder missions than any captain except perhaps Sisko, strange new worlds, Klingon BDSM, next gen era crossovers wide open...what's not to like?

13. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Worf's also a far more interesting and popular character than sulu the glorified extra.

OOH HE LIKES BOTANY AND FENCED ONCE LETS MAKE A SHOW

14. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

As for the ship he would be assigned, it would have to depend on his crew's mission, I figure. Worf's experience has been as a security officer, a tactical officer, a strategic operations officer, the commander of a ship during the Dominion War, an ambassador, and more. I don't see him as an explorer so I don't imagine he'd get a large, deep space ship. But as an ambassador to say Q'onos and/or Romulus, he would likely need to travel to distant worlds regulary so a small ship would likely not be in the cards. I figure a medium sized ship like a Steamrunner or Ambassador class ship. But I'm open to suggestions...

15. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Saw Michael Dorn in a commercial while watching football the other day. He looks good, and with klingon makeup, they could definitely make him look like not much time has passed. Heck, he'd probably look better than he did in Nemesis, where he was FAT. If they made play an older worf that would be awesome too.

Ah, here's Dorn in the new car commercial:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=k7eGINFXp5s[/yt]

They dubbed him over with a nerdy guy voice as a lame joke, too bad.

16. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Prometheus-class.

17. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Seriously? Riker was promoted to XO of the Enterprise at the age of 29, after only 7 years out of the academy (he was even offered Captaincy of a small ship, but turned it down because it was lame). Sure, Riker is an exceptional officer, but at this point in continuity Worf has been an officer for 28 years, and has numerous varied experiences including serving as the commander of the Defiant. There is nothing that would preclude him from being XO of the Enterprise (or even Captain of his own vessel) at this point, beyond the obvious reprimand on his record.

This has been one of my grudges with the way officers are portrayed on Trek: these young-guns get promoted all the way to Captain inside of 5-10 years out of the Academy (or in the case of nuKirk, promoted to Captain in -1 years), and then spend several decades as Captain. And yet, Riker had remained as XO of the Enterprise for 15 years, despite being offered Captaincy 3 times...

18. DarKush

I agree. I also wished that Troi had showed up at least once on DS9. Especially when Worf got married. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't have gotten LeVar Burton, Marina Sirtis, or Jonathan Frakes to do a cameo for the wedding.

As for what some have said about Worf v. Sulu. I actually liked the Excelsior idea. I think that Sulu was more than a glorified extra. Granted, he wasn't fleshed out much on TOS or even in the movies, but the fact that he was given a starship to command says that someone thought Sulu's character had potential. I thought an Excelsior show would've been a great way to get a prequel kind of show without going all the way back to ENT. And the "Lost Era" has been largely unexplored onscreen. Excelsior could've been a great bridge show between TOS and TNG, and it would've been free to play with the Tholians and Gorn for example in lieu of the Klingons and Romulans. Or imagine Sulu against the Xindi?

That being said, I would've preferred a Worf show over Sulu's. While Sulu had and has a lot of potential, we've already seen many of the interesting things they have done with Worf, and his character is much richer. As someone else said, watching him interact with the crew could be interesting, presenting some nice dramatic conflict, and not to mention Command. Watching how Worf has matured from TNG to DS9 to his own command would be a cool thing to see, at least to me.

But something tells me that if Trek returns to TV it will be in the Abrams alternate universe. A John Cho Sulu show could be awesome.

19. Bry_Sinclair

Sulu is more of an open book. Not much is known of him, but he has an impressive history seen on screen, so much so that he got command of the most advanced ship in the fleet. There was a lot that could have been done with him and his own crew, plue we would have got to see more of the Excelsior in action.

Would the movie actors be willing to do a TV series, or would the producers need to recast the characters again? Or would they go a completely different route?

So long as it wasn't a rehash of TOS I could live with it. The quadrant has become vastly different, so noth everything would happen the same as it did in the Prime Universe. That's one thing that worries me with the movies, if they were to drag Khan out, or other established plots and tear them to shreds.

20. DarKush

^
    I don't disagree that the Sulu/Excelsior idea had a lot of potential. And for those who had a problem with Takei's acting (I'm not one of them), he would've had a whole ensemble cast to play off of, and getting the show he desired might have brought something out of him that people hadn't seen thus far.

As for Cho doing a Sulu show, I think he probably would. He's done TV before (Flash Forward), there's less of a stigma for movie actors to do TV shows these days, and let's be honest, it's tough for any actors, but especially actors of color to get lead roles in films or TV shows. If offered, I think Cho would probably take it.