STO: are starship phasers worth a darn?

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Tribble puncher, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

IMHO, phasers are good until endgame. Their ability to shutdown systems seems to work most of the time for my characters. A simple setup with phasers and photon or quantum torps will work well in PvE.

Having said that though, I give my characters other weapons based on their profession as they advance: Engineers get plasma beams/plasma torps, Science offficers get Tetryon beams/transphasic torps and Tactical get phaser or Antiproton cannons/quantum torps.

2. Trek

Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've just setup the London (my Excelsior) to be a dedicated STF/Borg ship and moved all my anti-proton weapons from the Argus (my Sovereign) to there. I then setup the Argus with all retrofit phasers and I'm currently working on getting some purple quantums on it. I also gave it my Ageis set and move the Borg set to the London too.

3. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Where did you get enough retrofit phasers? I've got the set from the TOS Connie and the one from Everything Old is New Again. Just curious.

4. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

You replay the mission and dismiss/reclaim the ship

5. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually Aux hasn't been relevant for turning for a long time. It's purely an Engine thing now.

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Just wait till it gets the saucer sep.

7. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Random side question: I bought the Sao Paulo, and it gave me an icon (trek combadge) that went in my inventory in addtion to the ship being in my ship pool. No harm in deleting that, seeing as it's wasting room in my bank, right? Hell, I can even delete the ship itself and reclaim, since i bought it, right? Just the in-game free ships you can't reclaim, anything bought with C-points you can get again.

Right?

Just don't want to delete this token and not be able to get the ship back. Not deleting the ship itself right now, jsut don't want to waste valuabe space in the bank (only on one toon, oddly) for a token that doesn't do anything...

8. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

See, I used anti-proton beams all of the time at end level, but I've done more damage with a Phaser/Polaron & Quantum configuration on my cruiser. I don't know if it's my particular build, or if it's in my head, but I do some deadly DPS with my current setup, and I take them right into the STFs and blast away.

9. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I've updated my ship's power ratios to 124% weapons, 76% shields, 45% engines and 37% auxiliary. I've lowered both engines and auxiliary to their absolute minimum since these days my ship's acting more like an overpowered Anti-Proton satellite turret. When I attack, I just stay at one spot and rotate the ship as all 6 weapons fire at will.

I'm still in the process of swapping out my Tetryons with a full set of Anti-Proton cannons and turrets. I'm still missing 2 Anti-Proton Aft Turrets and one or two Anti-Proton Mag Regulators (trying to save up enough ec to buy them from the exchange). Once I have those Mag Regulators, we can have a Nanite Probe shoot out and see if beams or cannons deal the most damage.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  10. Amaris

Gah! Why didn't you say something? I had 3 Mk XII Mag regulators two days ago before I put them on the exchange! I only sold them for 25,000 credits a piece! I'd have given them to you! :lol:

Still, I searched through my bank, and if you'd be happy with 2 MK X Greens, they're yours. You can mail me in game at Akarian@Sarek2165.

11. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

I wound up putting 4X retro phasers on my excelsior as well, seeing as they level up as you do...plus I get people asking me where I got em in pve

12. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Why would you do that? They're woth at least 10 times that, if not more. plain Mk X go for 150k and up, a MK XII has gotta be worth at least 300k.

When I get bored, I hunt through the exchange for things way underpriced like that, and flip them for more money...

13. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Inflation. The last time I checked, a Mk XII was 1 mil.

14. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

didn't inflate that much either way, he just sold them at a substantial loss (compared to what he could have asked and easily gotten).

15. Amaris

I tend to undersell on purpose. I don't believe in gouging. So when other sell things for a million, I might sell for 150,000. In this case, it didn't matter and I just sold them for 25,000 each.

16. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I intentionally just undersell items at TROLOLO prices, like 9999, 6668, 49998, and my favorite, 76542.

17. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Problem is, i bought them and resold for the million you didn't want ;)

18. Amaris

Eh. It works for everybody! :lol:

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

maybe just send me a message when you're about to dump stuff too cheap, so I can be ready? :)

20. Amaris

Maybe. :angel: