Which is your favorite run of X-Men?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Joe Washington, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Which is your favorite X-Men run and what are the things about it that you liked?

Chris Claremont?
    Grant Morrison?
    Joss Whedon?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

1. The entire Claremont run. In high school it was my mission to collect every single issue of that twenty year run.

2. Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. The only run since that really felt as cool and fun as the best of Claremont.

3. Scott Lobdell years. This was the "live" years of my X-Men collecting so it holds a nostalgic place in my heart.

4. Grant Morrison's New X-Men. As always with his work, I really enjoyed some parts and really did NOT enjoy other parts. As drugged out and crazy as his stories are, you have to admit there's a lot of thought put into them. But I hated the uniforms, he generally had truly horrid artists, I hated what he did to Cyclops and Magneto...

5. I did like Messiah Complex and Second Coming, but most of this current Fraction / Carey era I have found generally uninteresting.

3. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Chris Claremont's run, especially from the Phoenix saga through to the Marauders' Massacre. The issues from 196 to 213 were so awesomely dark. New Mutants 45 was pretty amazing too. I don't often cry when reading comics!

4. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

The Claremont/Byrne/Austin run of Uncanny X-Men circa #108-142 (IIRC). The Wheedon/Cassady run of Astonishing X-Men is a very close second for me.

5. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

This but my love goes into the Clairmont/Jim Lee years too.
    IMO Clairmont really brought out the characters personalities. He really made them very human. I remember when the X-Men used to go shopping or to the local pub. Nobody does those moments any more.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Claremont with Cockrum/Byrne/Smith.

7. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't read a lot of X-Men, so I guess by default it'd have to be Whedon and Morrison. Though I do have a special affinity for the "Age of Apocalypse" storyline, which was happening right when I was at the height of my comic buying youth.

8. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Most definitely the Claremont run...especially the years with Byrne.

9. Janus VI

Janus VI Captain Captain

count another one for Claremont. After he left, X-Men never quite felt the same for me.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Grant Morrision.
    Chris Claremont (none of his recent stuff though)
    Joss Whedon

Loving Matt Fraction's current run.

11. DrCorby

DrCorby Captain Captain

Absolutely terrific, and loved all three of those artists. Highpoints include the Phoenix Saga, the Days of Future Past, and God Loves, Man Kills. Claremont also had some good stuff at the same time on the New Mutants, especially with art by Bill Sienkiewicz and Art Adams.

12. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

I have an almost perverse urge to choose Claremont/Lee early nineties. I certainly thibnk that it represents some of the latter's very best work. The storylines that culminated with issues 274 and 275 were about as epic as you can get, too.

Claremont/Byrne 1980 and 1981 was just about as seminal as you can get, though.

I also liked Morrison's run a lot. He wasn't afraid to shake it up a bit. I'd give Warren Ellis the edge over him as a writer, though.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The FOX cartoon. :p

14. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

the stuff in the early 90s when i was reading it: X-cutioner's Song, Blood Ties, Fatal Attractions and Generation Next and all that.

15. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Seconded.

After flirting with the X-Men here and there during the Marc Silvestri era, it was the Claremont/Lee run that really made me a X-Men fan.

Even during the last Claremont/Davis run, there was still those moments when the X-Men were just being people rather than powers.

16. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I've not read as much as I ought to, but I'm going to go with Whedon/Cassaday.

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

There have been a number of good runs on X-Men. The first few Lee-Kirby issues, Thomas-Adams in the late 60s and various runs of the new X-Men under Claremont. Starting with Giant-Size X-Men #1 and up to Byrne's departure was probably my all-time favorite, with the exception of that bad spell in the Savage Land and the Moses Magnum thing and all that; things came back with "Days of Future Past" and the return of Alpha Flight and really kicked into high gear up to the Dark Phoenix Saga. Then things fell apart for a while again briefly, but kicked up again with the return of Dave Cockrum and then the Paul Smith run and JRJ. Then Claremont began to turn into a parody of himself and things declined quickly-- by the time they introduced the second X-Men book, I was more than done. So, overall, I'd have to say my favorite is the introduction of the new team through the end of that big showdown with Magneto-- or Dark Phoenix, if we ignore that late 70s bad spell.

18. OsmiumJohnnycake

OsmiumJohnnycake Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I grew up with Claremont's X-Men in the 80s, so that was The X-Men to me. His run was so long and had so many good stories in it I would be hard pressed to pick one section of it. I'll admit I quit reading shortly after Claremont left X-Men (I know My last issue was before Uncanny #300), but that wasn't just about Claremont leaving. It was when I quit reading all comics. Got tired of the endless crossovers and most of my favorite titles were turning into stuff I just did not like at all. I do currently read comics now, and I have gone back and read a lot of stuff I missed and apparently a lot of what happened in the 90s was just not my cup of tea.

Anyway, If I HAD to choose my favorite section of the Claremont run, I guess I'd narrow it down to the era where Claremont was writing both Uncanny and New Mutants.

Love Whedon's TV work but I don't care for his X-Men at all. Think Morrison's Batman stuff (and Animal Man and others) is amazing work but I don't care for his X-Men stuff.

I don't know what happened to Claremont, though. His newer stuff is just atrocious.

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Claremont.

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Favorite
    Grant Morrison
    Mike Carey (from NXM to the end of his Xavier Arc on Legacy)

Hated
    Joss Whedon
    Matt Fraction