Pacific Rim - Grading and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by sojourner, Jul 12, 2013.

?

How do you rate Pacific Rim?

1. A+

31 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. A

35 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. A-

15 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. B+

25 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  13. F+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. F

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  15. F-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Totally missing the point of the movie...

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

If you want realism, organisms that large could never exist in Earth gravity at all. They'd be too heavy to move and would suffocate under their own weight. So movies like this demand suspension of disbelief.

3. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

That's only fractionally correct. It assumes the organisms have the same body structures as other terrestrial organisms. The same type of bones, ligaments, cartilage, tendons, etc. But they're not terrestrial organisms. Not even remotely. Hell, they probably didn't even originate from our universe.

Trying to claim realism in this regard is a complete joke. Yes, you have to suspend your disbelief here because there's literally zero science behind their existence. You can argue about whether a portal to another universe/dimension exists, or even if other universe/dimensions exist, but since in the movie they do exist without question, you can't dismiss that those other universes/dimensions obviously have things in them that defy our own limited, minute understanding of just the things on our own planet.

That's completely different from arguing about the realism of building a giant wall or huge, pointless robots. Those are all based on the "reality" of our world, using our physics, and our understanding of how things work. The kaiju are completely exempt.

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

You really don't need to justify why a movie has giant robots fighting giant monsters. Their mere existence is justification enough. ;)

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus the kaiju were engineered by the aliens specifically to attack Earth, so their musculature etc was probably built to be a lot stronger than that of a normal animal's.

6. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

well yeah, i think a robot with a human pilot would be way harder to fight and a lot more unpredictable then a fighter jet. It has arms and legs for example, which means it can punch, throw, kick, use inanimate objects. It can use it's limbs in multiple ways and use inanimate objects in multiple ways

it could also kill the creature many different ways, and therefore be a much more formidable opponent than a fighter plane for example. A giant robot would just be a lot more versatile.

At the end of the day it's movie about giant robots fighting giant monster, it's an awesomely ridiculous concept. not really sure why it needs to be justified, just enjoy it :cool:

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Screen Junkies has done an honest trailer for Pacific Rim.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fupWquPNoTc[/yt]

8. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

While I enjoyed the film, it didn't really resonate with me as the super terrific thing that everyone was making it out to be. I think Charlie Hunnam is a very lackluster actor to be doing the lead, and Rinko Kikuchi didn't really resonate with me.

But the worst part about this whole experience was the "after movie" discussion with my friends. They loved it to death and kept asking me why I didn't like. Even with a bad lead and an ok supporting character, there was another thing that hurt the film even more. One thing that I knew the moment I'd bring up that my friendship with my buddies would probably be gone.

I HATED CHARLIE DAY.

He kept shouting, and shouting, and shouting and wouldn't shut up. One of my buds did the typical rebut "At least he's better than Jar Jar" to which I replied" At least Jar Jar has an indoor voice!".

That was not a good night.

9. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Nice. :rommie:

10. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Yep, that trailer is !00% accurate; and like everyone also who liked the film, YES, it did speak to my 'inner 9 year old' who loved 1960ies era Godzilla movies, and stuff like 'Ultraman' and 'Johnny Sokko's Flying Robot'. Again, if you try to analyze the story of the film using 'real world' logic, it falls apart fast <-- BUT, if you look at it within it's own universe, it's fine, fun, and a pleasure to watch IF you like giant robots fighting giant monsters as BOTH wreck buildings.)

11. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I really loved the movie great deal. Charlie Day had his moments where he was annoying but I really didn't mind him. I do agree that Charlie Hunnam was lackluster though. Other than that I loved the film!

12. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was worth sticking around for.

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

As usual Honest Trailers got the movie's number. The movie is dumb and loaded with flaws and "Huhs?!" but, dammit if I didn't love every minute of that movie.

14. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

... Aaaaand there goes my any interest in Netflixing this sucker. :p

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

You really shouldn't judge a movie by it's honest trailer.

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Your loss. It really was one of the most fun movies of the summer.

Thinking back on it now, the tone of the movie most reminds me of Big Trouble in Little China.

17. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you didn't already know that Pacific Rim was a silly movie with robots punching giant monsters until you saw that video I don't know what to tell you.

18. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Though it's technically probably the most tenuous aspect I actually see the in-universe reason for 'the drift' - I assume it has to do with reaction times - 'being' the Jaeger rather than just 'piloting' it.

19. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

The explanation was the 'neural load' of piloting a jaeger was too much for a single brain - drifting allowed the two pilots to remain in 'neural synch' while sharing the 'load' between two human brains.:wtf::rofl::lol:;)

20. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, I definitely did know that, but I'd been avoiding checking out said imagery so as to approach the movie as freshly as possible if I did decide to rent it. Alas, nothing in that video looked at all interesting or fun... which I'd kinda suspected anyhow. :p