A Semi-Hater Revisits Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by TheGodBen, Feb 9, 2009.

1. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

Well, on the bright side, they took about four and a half years to reach this point. Now there's just two and a half years left. Uh... yay?

Broken record comment time: Would it have been that difficult for them to include a line or two about purchasing torpedeos or something from some alien race SOMEWHERE?

2. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Starting with "Nothing Human" to me VOY enters a slump of pure averageness from here until "Bride of Chaotica!".

Thirty Days only gets 2.5 stars out of four. By now it is too late in the game for me to care about certain characters like Kim, Chakotay, Neelix or Paris. So that torpedoes the episode for me since I couldn't care any less about his relationship with his father(and ultimately that arc goes nowhere in the last two seasons) or Paris standing up for something. Really some might bash the writers for relegating most of the cast to the sidelines but I thought it was a good idea since no episode had a chance if I don't care about the characters showcased.

The episode had some nice visuals though.

3. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You've been waiting for this day to come for so long GodBen...Congratulations! :lol:

4. startrekwatcher

I don't see that it was necessary. I think they felt the audience would be smart enough to realize that the torpedoes would be coming from somewhere and the logical conclusion would be from purchasing them from someone or creating new ones themselves.

5. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

That shouldn't be possible! They're out of torpedoes!

6. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I want to thank my family who have always supported me. I want to thank Praetor for constantly agreeing with me, that's been a huge boost. I want to thank all the readers of this thread, it's because of YOU that this thread has become the most viewed on the Voyager forum. And lets not forget Jesus, my personal saviour and the man who helped me to kick my crack addiction. This is for you man! [​IMG]

7. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Are you sure you haven't forgotten anyone? ;)

8. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Oh yes, I forgot to thank Jaespol for giving us all a good laugh in his time here.

And kimc, of course, for not closing this thread down for blatant trolling. :techman:

9. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, we can all die happy knowing the precise moment of the shark-jumping. And how appropriate that it should fall on the episode set on an ocean planet.

In honour of this moment, here's a hastily prepared photoshop depicting the glorious event.

[​IMG]

Incidentally, is it wrong that when searching for a picture of Mr Braga, I started thinking he was kind of cute, in a geeky way?

10. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

:rommie:

While I did enjoy the episode, the flashback angle did undercut things a bit, IMO. I'd prefer Tom spent a few episodes in the brig, too. Still, I liked it.

Bombad?

That... that might have to become my signature.

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

I'm reminded of "Family Guy" when Stewie learned that a hit had been put out on Lois: "Oh I have so many people to thank... God, of course. And, oh yes... SATAN!"

There we go. :rommie:

Yes, yes it is wrong. Completely and in every way. The great right head of the dread beast B&B is not an object to be lusted after! :mad: ;)

11. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

:lol: Yeah, I'm a real softie!

12. DGCatAniSiri

But they started out commenting about how irreplaceable their torpedeos were, how they only had so many. I'm not asking for an episode devoted to locating the necesary tools to create their own torpedeos, just ONE. FREAKING. LINE. about how they've purchased some new torpedeos from some supplier - a line back in Season 4's Retrospect, where they were actually trading with an arms dealer, would have been great, since they already were discussing weaponry.

It doesn't feel like they're assuming that we the audience are drawing the conclusion that they're buying torpedeos from someone - it feels like the producers opted to just ingore the fact that the torpedeos are supposed to be difficult to replace - after all, these are the same people who have said that Voyager could just casually create the shuttles without it being a big deal, allowing them SEVENTEEN destroyed shuttles.

Given that there was such importance placed on the torpedeos being irreplaceable in the first season, it's something that deserves at least a token mention - all it would take is just one single, simple, little line. 'We bought a bunch of torpedeos from a merchant a few months back.' There - if that line had appeared, I'd shut up about this.

13. Praetor

We need a magic torpedo creator, like the magic shuttle creator. :D

14. DGCatAniSiri

Well, the magic shuttle creator IS magic - I think we decided earlier that it also created new redshirts as well, so I guess we'll just put the 'torpedeo generation' down as an additional feature. :p

15. Praetor

So the magic shuttle creator is actually Firefox? And these other things are addons? ;)

16. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ The Shuttle-O-Matic is a bit like the Borg...it adapts!!

Just drop in a few Leola root stems and a small amount of Treknobabbleite and it will produce whatever you wish!

17. DGCatAniSiri

I was thinking more like they're expansion packs for the original software. Sort of like the Sims - the shuttle creator is the first game, then you have to go and buy the redshirt generator, then the torpedo creater, and by then you've spent all this money and, much as you might want to, you can't quite make yourself stop until after you're broke.

18. NumberSix

NumberSix Lieutenant Red Shirt

Amen!

We did! His name was Joe Carey. Why else do you think we only saw him twice in seven years? ;)

Thirty Days
    Meh... it was ok. I love Tom, but this episode was a bit boring for me. I got the significance, but the fact that the stupid aliens didn't annoyed me and I probably would have just said "well, your loss" and walked off. Much prefer to watch Alice instead.

19. startrekwatcher

Oh, I think he's cute. I can definitely see why Jeri Ryan would go out with him.

Interestingly enough I remember reading in a Star Trek book that he was a bit kinky. He admitted he had a speculum collection and he said he'd love nothing more to examine the vagina of a 50 ft woman.:lol: And no I'm not making this up.

20. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was pretty weird. Phew, that's put me right off the strange, talentless hack. :lol: