Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Sucks the parts don't play together, though. If you got two of the Mk XI parts, and got a Mk XII drop, doesn't make a set.

Honestly, the Prototype Salvage is the most frustrating. 2 Rare Salvage chips get you any Mk XI part (non-set) in the store. 1 Prototype Salvage gets you a Mk XII, which you can't otherwise get. I'd rather the Prototype Salvage be able to be used towards the Mk XII sets, honestly. Even if it took 2 to get one set piece. It would be a 'wild card' that lets you make up for the crappy drop rates, and if you just can't beat, say, Cure Space Elite often enough to get the drops, and are better at Infected or KA, more runs of the other one would still let you complete a set eventually...

2. Bird of Prey

Bird of Prey Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like that idea.

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Otherwise, it means that if you have trouble with one mission (through your own fault, or poor mission design, like both halves of Cure), you'll never get the set, and not to bother.

At least with the wild card, you can beat 2 out of 3, and then go at one of those again to try and pick up a 3rd.

4. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Good info, but that's not what's happening in Second Wave.

It's bugged so that sometimes when a player warps to Bajor nothing happens. If you go back to DS9 your progress is at the start of the conference. I've heard that if you're in a team, that only the team leader gets completion.

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Right, but my point was that you can turn the mission in while still at Ds9. Don't have to warp anywhere, get completion while in-system

6. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

FUCK CAGE OF FIRE.

My god, the bot pathing is BEYOND BROKEN. My BOs take turns being too stupid to follow a specified point on a bridge two feet in front of their fucking noses without spazzing and diving head first into their the railing or the fire.

7. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah..that is one buggy mission.
    And I had to do this twice, because in the first time I managed to somehow get trough the mission(took a while) the game failed to show the mission as completed. I was not very happy to go back to the bugfest.:vulcan:

8. Rocketeer

No can do GI. At least not on Second Wave. There is no option to Hail Starfleet. I tried everything before logging out and back in. Then I still had to go through the conference again.

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Not sure what to tell you, worked that way for me. Twice. The mission resolved before you actually had to warp to Bajor, so I went into the 'in progress' missions and turned it in first. Never even went to Bajor the 2nd time, just back to sector space...

10. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Btw, I suspect, that the next episodes starts in the Bajor system.
    So when you replay it later, warping there is not relevant to the first part but will result in a better flow of the whole story.

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Makes sense from a television perspective, but since you're not forced to play them one after the other, not really needed for a game. Especially since in this instance, they aren't released at the same time, so they are dumping you somewhere where they KNOW you have nothing to do for a week :)

Plus, in-universe, Bajor's probably too close to jump to warp anyway, you'd miss it. Only took them a short time to move the station from there, and they were on thrusters. Anytime you needed to flee in the show, you ended up further away than that (Starbase something-or-other). For this story, it would have made more sense to say that Bajor was ALSO under attack, and you were riding to the rescue, not attempting to regroup 100 yards from the enemy. 2800 ships is enough that you should run further away than that ;)

12. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Regarding distance and speed.
    I am ok with a warp jump to Bajor.
    I can see it as a short warp burst with factor 1 or so.
    Remember the Phoenix' first flight.
    She warped for a minute or 2 and Earth was a lot smaller but still very visible. Distance between DS9 and Bajor is about one AU?
    So at warp 1 it would still take about 8 minutes.

Seems reasonable to me.

And I think it is pretty clever to let the mission flow into each other like that. Keeps people playing longer.

They did that in Champions a lot and at least once in STO even.
    Rememer the Guardian of Forever missions? Actually 2, but everyone treats and plays them as a single one.

13. Rocketeer

Probably start in orbit around Bajor fighting a token amount of ships then beam to surface. I hope we get to bring our away team - I put so much time into developing them. :-)

14. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Sure, except you're trying to get away from a giant armada and regroup. If you're at most 8 minutes away, you're not going to get any breathing room. Pretty good chance they can spare a couple dozen ships to chase you down and finish it. For the story, it would make more sense if you were rushing TO Bajor, to defend them from an attack in progress, rather than running FROM the Dominion and regrouping at Bajor. Wouldn't change much, just a couple tweaks to the text at the end of the mission, and it would make sense why you stayed so close...

15. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    O'Brien and Bashir get sent to Bajor for a medical emergency by shuttle, and take two hours to get there. I think it's reasonable to assume they were travelling around full impulse, I.E. 0.25c. So at warp 1 it should take a good 30 minutes to get there. A warp jump in an emergency makes perfect sense, and is clearly doable at warp speeds in excess of warp 1.

16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually I'm pretty sure it was really to keep the Dominion from getting any ideas about attacking Bajor.

17. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Sure, but you'd also reasonably expect that if the enemy has 2800 ships available, it can probably spare a couple to chase down and eliminate the survivors, seeing as how they didn't even flee out of sensor range, right?

Like I said, storywise it just would have made more sense to get a report that Bajor was also taking fire, and be running to help/protect them, rather than making a staging point still within the system.

we'll completely ignore that game-wise, attempting to warp to Bajor resets your progress half the time, and makes you start the mission over... ;)

Not sure how that helps. If you had enough ships to discourage the Dominion, you could have just held DS9, no? Your entire fleet (before damage casualties) couldn't hold DS9, and didn't discourage them from attacking, so why would a lesser, damaged fleet discourage them from attacking Bajor?

18. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Fleet? Other than a few shuttles and runabouts, my starship was the only one at DS9 when the 2800 ships came pouring out of the wormhole. Thankfully the Jem'Hadar ships were antiquated and I was able to punch a hole in their lines and get all the shuttles and runabouts to safety.

19. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think losing DS9 had more to do with the Dominion troops stroming the station. A fleet doesn't really do any good if your own station is shooting at you.

Besides we really don't know what the defensive capablilites of bajor in the 25th century are, So maybe it was a good fall back point.

I take it you missed the three or four ships that were helping.

20. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

True, we can't say how garrisoned Bajor is. Of course, suspect that next week's episode will show that Bajor isn't an armed fortress, but we'll see. ;)

Again storywise, but the Federation basically has a truce/mutual indifference pact, right? This 2800 fleet may think they did the right thing, and is acting like the Dominion War is still on, but my first response to the cutscene with the Vorta was "oh, honey, you might wanna look at a calendar and then check with your bosses on this one..." I'd get on the horn with the Great Link, and mention that we found their fleet, please come and pick them up before supper. K thanks bye. Unless the Founders wanna restart the war, think they'd get orders to appologize, get back in their ships, and high-tail it for home...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.